RC Enthusiast

Picco engine hard to start

I have a Picco .26 MAX on my slayer, and I am having a hard time getting the pull start to grip the motor shaft. Its like there is too much compression. It becomes easier to pull if i loosen the plug, however, I can never get it to start with the plug loose.

Anyone have tips on what I can do?
    Slayer 4x4 - Picco .26 MAX
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Is this a brand new motor or is it already broke in????

Check and clean your one way bearing sounds like its slipping if its not catching. How are you priming the motor with the pull start? It wont start if your glow plug is to lose, your just blowing everything out the top.

The Picco is going to show you the weak parts of your car.

Mine has claimed the slipper clutch, reverse gearing, ex start motor and one pull start, so far.
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    It does catch... but it rally feels like there is too much compression. The motor is definately broken in. Are there better pull-starts other than the one the Picco motor came with? My attempts to prime the motor with the pull start are usually foiled because I cant even pull the thing... I did notice that when I put after-run oil in - its easy to pull. Maybe I am just not getting enough lube in there and the piston is sticking?

I really think my pull-start is just crappy.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    A lot more power. the Picco .26 runs a claimed 2.7hp - while the Traxxas 3.3 is just over 1hp... An amazing engine (when I can get it started) hahaha
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I prime mine by hand when starting it for the first time. Pour a LITTLE nitro in the carb. I also got a bulb primer but still fiddling with it, as it will shoot to much nitro into the carb flooding it. Priming the motor using the pull start is just goiing to wear out your pull start or bearing.

But what do I know....LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Though that might work, I would really like to get a pullstart that grips onto the shaft more tightly. I hate to have to have that extra tool in my bag for starting purposes.

Any other thoughts on if a "heavy-duty" pull start exists?
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Another thought is you are priming the motor to much and the unspent fuel is getting sucked thru to the starter shaft which is flooding the OWB causing it to slip........Hmmmmm I see why I don't post much in the AM......LOL

If you are priming the motor too much, it will feel like there is too much compression and the pull start will feel really tight when the motor is flooded. To clear a flooded motor, take the glow plug out put a paper towel over the head and flip the truck completely upside down and pull the start cord 15 or 20 times and it'll blow the excess fuel out. Then try to start it.

What I do to keep from flooding the engine on the first start is I manually prime the motor. Pull the fuel pressure line off the exhaust and blow into it until the fuel just reaches the carb. Then put the fuel line back on the pipe, plug the stinger with your finger and pull the start cord about 3 times. Then it should fire right up.