RC Racer

transmission trouble

Got my summit in mid january. The last few runs i hav heard a funny noise. Found out that the main shaft that gos though the trans is moving? What i mean is the opposite end of the slipper clutch where the shaft sticks out a bit is now egg shaped instead round. That shaft moves i would guess 1/4 of an inch or so in both direction depending on if im going foward or reverse? I havent taken it apart yet to see what is wrong but wondering if any of u have had this problem?

RC Racer
    Of the 10 or so Summits in my area , I did see this happen to 1 of them.

Fix it , but you may try running the slipper about a half turn looser, from now on.
    Won my first race in 1985...

RC Racer
    i do hav my slipper set kinda tight after the dewalt conversion?

likely a bearing is gone and allowed the shaft to walk around oveling the hole out.I've not seen that one yet but there is a hidden bearing in the bottom that is prone to neglect blows apart and allows the ouput gears to grind some teeth off if you run in the wet you should really tear down your trans completely and clean and relube it will last longer trust me.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Yes well i did the tear down tonite and it was pretty rough in there! One bearing was totaly shot an the two on the output were bad also! Everything was wet and rust colored. Replaced all bearings lubed and cleaned everything. All is good now. Now the question is why did it let sooo much water in and is it waterproof. Truck is 45 days old and i live in south dakota were all we have had is snow and wet weather. I guess wet is not good for them and i will hav to protect it much better from water. Just hope my diffs dont look as bad as the trans but thats my next tear down. This hobby is a lot of work just to run a little bit! Kinda like a harley! lol!

The diff's are some what sealed i just filled mine with bearing grease.when i say filled i mean filled, water should not get in there is no room.the trans i have accepted that that is a task that can't be neglected,I also run in the wet alot (i live in a rain forest)
    so rain is part of life and can be alot of fun with these trucks,BUT maintenance has to be done just like a 1:1 if you submerge your diff's gonna want to change that gear oil....Want a old cool harley..... better buy a good set of coveralls gonna have to do maintainance....There is no escape......LOL.The trans is not waterproof ,I wish it was water tight.Would make my life a bit easier. on the plus side you get so fast at it that you can do it and something else at the same time and can catch those bearings before they blow up and wreak havoc in there. did you get the hidden one thats one i may go ceramic on and the diff inner pinion bearings are prone to spontaneous blow apartski disease(No... I'm not a doctor but was once called a rocket scientist) they take a ton of abuse and torque forces so no surprise there
    Last edited by jamann; 03-09-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    what is this hidden one? i replaced all in the trans so where is the one u speek of?? I am gettin better at this stuff i think and will be a expert soon!lol!

It is under 3996x have to completely tear down trans and remove part #3991x it's right in the bottom.If you got that one your good too go.thats the one that went on me once and chewed the teeth off of low gear
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Yep got that one! I was out again today with it pullin my boy (11 months old) in his sled with the summit. Its workin good again and man does the dewalt impress more and more! p18 s65 and that thing hauls butt in high! fyi pulled the boy in low though nice and slow! lol Just sayin its so far a great upgrade!

Good good glad to here it's running again this truck never stops amazing me with where it will go and what its capable of
    yes it is really steep and slippery took a while to get up..Without weight in the front rims not gonna happen
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried