RC Qualifier

Little Kids and Big Trucks

So one of the Summit trucks I bought is for my 6 year old daughter.
    And the Summit has a 50% training mode, and low range, should be nice and slow, right?
    Wrong.
    Even the low range 50% mode scares the heck out of most kids, and they can easily ram it into something and break stuff.

So anyone who wants to do super slow training mode:
    Take two thick rubber bands. Wrap one around the antenna, down under behind the trigger, and back up to the antenna. You can now limit how far she can pull the trigger, and it covers the red range switch, keeping it in low range.
    Take the other one and wrap one end around the base of the diff switch, under and in front of the trigger, and back up to the antenna. Now she can't run herself over in reverse. Not that I speak from experience or anything...

An amazing truck to learn on, if it's slowed down enough. The cheezy ones at Target and such never had good control and the ability to go anywhere. She's really learning how to drive and crawl, and I'm a proud papa...

Many of you are too young to remember the old RC cars from the 80's. Mine was a "Mountain Man" Chevy Blazer with a switch on top for 2WD or low range 4WD. Took 6 c batteries, I think. Man, I took that thing EVERYWHERE. Anyone old enough to remember those?

RC Qualifier
    a wise man once said

(this thread is worthless without pics)

im old enough but i dont remember those---i had the bandit and hopper ---they was a walmart brand---not traxxas---or i would have one heck of collection now if they was traxxas
    Last edited by Burned Up; 03-08-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Champion
    When training just go to spaces that are wide open with nothing for them to hit. Usually I just let the kids use 1st gear that try mine out. Then if one of them shows me that they know what they are doing I let them shift into second.

I've seen some amazing children of very young age fly R/C helicopters that just blow me away.
    Example 4 year old Justin Chi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOegH7ggms

Your daughter will be driving like a pro in no time!!

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, here y'all go...

With this setup you can move the bands up and down to give her some more power or less, or you can put one band in and one band out to decrease the resistance a little. Seems to work really well.

What I like about it is twofold: One it improves her hand eye coordination, it's not easy (especially when the vehicle is coming towards you) to know which way to turn, and Two, it's something we can do together, outside, away from any TV. Maybe it will even help her appreciate how to drive later...maybe...

RC Qualifier
    great idea---that will help out to learn the nephews how to crawl and one day my daughter---thanks for the pics
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV