RC Qualifier

LiPo for 2 Summit Trucks - It Ain't Cheap!

So I bought 2 new Summit trucks, the batteries just don't last long enough.

Bought 4 LiPo 8000mah packs, 2 cutoffs and a charger, $600! Oh well, no one said this hobby was cheap...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What lipos & charger did you buy exactly?

You can get very decent 2s lipos for as little as ~$30, maybe $60-80 for top-end ones, a decent mutli-pack charger for as little as $200 or so...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Competitor
    uh oh..... Should of done your homework man....

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I bought the Thunderpower charger (TP610C, plugs into AC or DC) and the 4 battery packs are Dynamite 8000mAh 7.4V 2S 25C LiPos. The cutoffs are Novak 4-cell smart-stop (x2).
    Are these good batteries? They were pricey ($100) but the guy said they are the best out there? Of course he's gonna say that. i could still return it all if need be...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by Jakey; 03-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ofcourse the ( LHS? ) guy said they were the best, yeah- those specs are kinda average though; 45/90C Hyperion lipos are 'the best', not 25c packs made by paralleling 4000mah cells together to create 8000mah packs; you got raped, but luckily you can take them back so that's cool.

Always ask before you buy, not after you buy, if something is good or not- never trust the word of an LHS employee as the are 99% nitro-heads with little electric knowledge- they'll sell you any old junk or unsuitable items just to clear stock and put money in the till.

As it is, those lipos will work alright but there are better options for far less money. Your LVCs will need careful wiring- would have been better off with 2s lvcs and wiring them as noted in the Tutorials page ( see below )- might be able to swap them too though so happy-days. Consider it a lesson learnt; we are always happy to help, but come to us first before parting with your cash:

TUTORIALS

USEFUL LINKS

Charger is great though

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    ... not ... packs made by paralleling cells together to create 8000mah packs
    Not that there is inherently anything wrong with connecting cells in parallel to achieve larger capacities. Especially when one considers certain federal regulations in place that restrict or penalize the transport of LiPo cells over a certain capacity.

RC Qualifier
    Whaaaat?
    Are my Lipos legal to transport? Are there ones that aren't? Someone needs to explaing to me what a 25c, 20c, 45c 90c whollycrap-c battery is...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, no, I did not mean that at all. I am sorry to have added confusion to this. Please accept my apologies.

I meant for a LiPo vendor or OEM company to import and transport them into the country, there are restrictions.

I sent you a PM that further explains "C" ratings, but I am certain someone will add to it here on your thread, which is a good thing.
    Last edited by Jakey; 03-07-2011 at 12:49 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
    Whaaaat?
    Are my Lipos legal to transport? Are there ones that aren't? Someone needs to explaing to me what a 25c, 20c, 45c 90c whollycrap-c battery is...
    He ment shipping by air- there are limits on the size of cells that can be sent via airmail to reduce the risk of a fire ( pretty pointless rules really but there you go.. )- fear not!

As for C ratings- read the links I posted, will get you clued-up on all the electrical side of things.

RC Qualifier
    All I have to say is...*******
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Racer
    Larsen8 what *******'s did you get and what are your run times like?

RC Qualifier
    Haven't ordered them yet, but should grab them today. I would guess a couple hours crawling and half an hour to 45 minutes mixed crawling and high speed. Not really sure, but with 5000 mah it won't be bad.
    *******s are great batteries, don't be suspicious because of the price. My neighbor runs them all the time and they are great.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 03-08-2011 at 10:41 AM.

RC Racer
    T5200.2S.30 ******* 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo
    Z50002S-30HC ***** ********* 5000mAh 2S1P 30C hardcase

I recently ordered some, and alle packs had like 5-6 runs. Then one of the ******* was dead-dead after about 3 runs, even opened it up, dead-dead. On the last run I used the ***** (the have big wires, hard to solder, hard to install on stock summit), then I switched to the ******* and my ESC went up in Smoke after about 5-6min. I run LVC and voltage indicators and stuff and just empty them packs to about 20% rest.

Nevertheless they are a great deal, just make sure you but 1 or 2 pack more cause RMA ist difficult and might not be worth it. Just my opinion and not a general rule tough.

RC Racer
    I was just going with the cheap ones, Z50002S-20. I'm sure the 30c and 40c are better, but not sure how much of a difference. I'm running the stock motor, no DeWalt.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, guess I can't post the name of the website. Here's the batteries I'm getting. Just copy and paste it and you'll find them.
    ******* 5000mAh 2S1P 7.4v 30C hardcase pack (USA Warehouse)

RC Racer
    20c, 25c, 30...40 which is better for a stock Summit? I'm sure the 30 and 40c are better as they can discharge faster which means more power faster. But can the stock motor use all that energy?

The 20c I was looking at were $16 each, I was in for 4 at that price, I'll keep the research going.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know what C rating would be best. I've never run lipos on the stock system. The lipos I'm getting are for my Tekin rx8. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a higher discharge battery puts out more amps. The stock speed control (EVX-2) might have a significantly lower max amp rating (I think it's 180A) than the average brushless speed control (like my Tekin at 210A). Running high C rated lipos on the EVX-2 esc might put more load on it causing premature failure. Like I said, I haven't really looked into it so correct me if I am wrong. However, I think the stock esc and motor would be fine on 20C and you will definitely have an increase in acceleration punch.