Thread: New Guy

RC poster

New Guy

hey all!!! i am new to this whole thing.. i had only heard of traxxas due to the fact that they are supposed to be visiting my deployed location to do a demo for the troops and let us drive the cars.. and i am to construct a track for them. after searching the main site i came across the traxxas ken block car and i was like MUST ******* HAVE!!!!!!!! so no my issue is every time i search the site i don't find the right out of the box ready to play.. i am trying to find it and buy it. i have been following ken block for a little while now and saw his gymkhana videos countless times. i gotta get this RC car.. someone give me a hand in navigating and finding the correct link that won't send me to a, "cannot find request" page.. the link i always run into always sends me to the buytraxxas page and it ens up saying cant find request or something like that

RC Qualifier
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXARKX&P=ML

Before you buy it. Pay $9.99 to become a member. And you can then get FREE shipping AND $50 off. So its a goood deal. No upgrades are nessesary out of the box...these rallys ARE DURABLE like crazy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by _jono_ View Post
    No upgrades are nessesary out of the box...these rallys ARE DURABLE like crazy
    I would say get some rpm knuckles right away. The stock knuckles are not the best quality and they are the first thing I broke. If you are deployed I am guessing it will take you a while to get parts and this way you won't be left high and dry.

I would also get another set of tires with a little more traction so you can do more with the car.

And lastly get an extra battery and a better charger. You can get a peak charger cheap and they make a world of difference.

Those are the first things I would get
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Qualifier
    Right...your right. i do have rpm on mine. but they only really go bad after running grippy tires and flipping around

RC Qualifier
    +1 on RPM... the standard Traxxas hubs work well for a little while, but much bonking or any grit will wear them so they're loose pretty quickly, then your handling goes south. When that happens, have a set of RPM's handy and you're good to go.

You will need a tiny 0.050" hex wrench to install the RPMs, tho. Kinda lame they don't include one... I picked up a nice hex combo driver - with this one tool you can pretty much do an entire tear-down. Most chassis screws are 2mm, but the one motor-mount screw is 2.5mm.

Also +1 on 2nd battery and charger. For NiMh, Duratrax is "just as good as anything" I've been told - Tower has a good deal on them. A proper peak charger (Duratrax Onyx series) will keep you running. Can't speak to LiPo other than it's sci-fi stuff that runs fast and likes to explode. I haven't gotten there yet but I bought an Onyx 230 charger so I'm ready.

HTH
    Last edited by prototyp; 03-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.

RC poster
    thanks i'll keep those in mind guys.. now if i can just figure out why it's not finding the prebuilt car so i can add it to my cart when i click the links.. all i ever get is a no results found or just the generic parts list for the car

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    You will need a tiny 0.050" hex wrench to install the RPMs, tho. Kinda lame they don't include one... I picked up a nice hex combo driver - with this one tool you can pretty much do an entire tear-down. Most chassis screws are 2mm, but the one motor-mount screw is 2.5mm.
    good catch, yeah I hate how small that little hex is, but they are still the best knuckles.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC poster
    thanks for the link i shall look into it. i gotta wait til i get to work to do it though.. to many hackers can get into my stuff using the free wifihere at my deployed location.

RC Qualifier
    Well you should give them a call and order through them

RC poster
    lol maybe we will see about that