RC Racer

Traxxas EVX-2 up in Smoke

I was driving for about an hour with my summit, it's minus degree outside (cold), I bash some, then I stop and suddenly I see smoke coming out of the truck.

I run, take the body off, unplug the batteries and it's the ESC EVX-2 that's creating the smoke.

I was running 2x 2S-*******-5000 batteries. They were in for about 2 minutes, fully charged and balanced.

I take the truck home and unscrew the ESC, it has a hole in the bottom, stinks like ****.

What did I do wrong? How to prevent this? Will Traxxas replace?

RC Champion
    If it's still in warranty Traxxas will replace it 100%.
    If it is out of warranty all electronics can be replaced at 50% per Traxxas policy.

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Racer
    Does this also apply to Switzerland? :-) No answer yet from Traxxas.

If I can't get a replacment I might be better off buying from ebay or even switching to brushless getting the Tekin - which costs a fortune and I loose the waterproofness.

RC Racer
    That sucks!

What would cause such anthing?

RC Enthusiast
    My evx-2 shot flames out of the lower back corner last week as soon as I plugged in the first battery. It burned a hole straight through it. After a couple hours I tried it again and it has worked fine ever since. Not sure if it had moisture in it or what cause it was full of snow before the fire. I have since sealed it up with some liquid tape.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MJP View Post
    Does this also apply to Switzerland? :-) No answer yet from Traxxas.

If I can't get a replacment I might be better off buying from ebay or even switching to brushless getting the Tekin - which costs a fortune and I loose the waterproofness.
    Me and the guys i go RC'n with use corrosionx to waterproof castle speed controls and it works awesome, but it voids warranty. know of 7 systems waterproofed with the stuff and all are still working without any problems. hope this helps.