RC Qualifier

My Solution for Auxillary Water Pick Up on Spartan

Hey guys,

This is what I finally settled on to try as a second water pick up.

I will run separate lines for ESC and Motor.

These trim tab adjusters with water pick up are designed for the SV27, so I had to do a minor mod on the mounting holes.

The spacing for the holes for the Spartan is 20mm, and the spacing on the pick ups are 18mm. The Spartan also uses a 3mm mounting bolt, which is a bit larger than the bolts used on the SV27 (I'm guessing 2.5mm).

I offset drilled out the holes with an 11/64" bit (I don't have a 3mm bit) to get the 20mm spacing required. They bolted right on and the bolt heads cover the "slight elongation" of the holes.

Because the mounting bolts that come with the trim tab adjusters are too small, you will need 4 qty 3mm x 16mm stainless steel bolts to mount the tabs back on the Spartan, if you choose to try this option.

Kevin

PS these trim tab adjusters are available from Kintec Racing and I'm sure others as well.
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Will the drag pull the boat to the left? Are they on both sides?

RC Qualifier
    No, only on one side.

I have never used this type of pick up before, but I suspect the amount of drag will be negligible. It is adjustable, so you can set it to have the minimum required amount in the water but still provide good water flow.

Also, the prop is going to walk a bit and make the boat want to turn to the right anyway, so any drag should help counter the effect of prop walk.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    We do think alike... That was the setup I was talking about... Sorry for the oops.... Will go as soon as LHS has another... I wanted you to at least skid it across the ice ... These are a great add on....

RC Qualifier
    Don't sweat the oops, these things happen, especially when trying something new.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    good job on this bro!
    this is the one mod I have mentioned several times on this forum and I think its the best one for cooling
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Competitor
    Just picked one up, looks very good!
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Qualifier
    looks good. Nice work
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict

RC Competitor
    What size tubing is used with this mod ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan1 View Post
    What size tubing is used with this mod ?
    The brass tubing is 3.95mm OD, so you could use 3mm ID tubing for a snug fit, or 4mm ID tubing and a zip tie to cinch it up tight.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    i have a set of these i see what u mean about the offset and the bolts, i gotta go get some bolts for it tomarrow at home depot... still waiting on esc i wonder if the 3mm line will be enough to cool the esc and motor... ?

RC Enthusiast
    It's definitely picking up enough flow... If you can, slot the tab and adjuster on either side, so you can use the existing holes...I'd send a pic if I knew how, but it took about 3 minutes on a mill, but a dremel should work. You only have to slot one of the holes on each side, so it lines up with the stock screws.... Amazing how much flow..... Handling, we'll see.... It uses 1/8 id cooling line.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek75.5 View Post
    It's definitely picking up enough flow... If you can, slot the tab and adjuster on either side, so you can use the existing holes...I'd send a pic if I knew how, but it took about 3 minutes on a mill, but a dremel should work. You only have to slot one of the holes on each side, so it lines up with the stock screws.... Amazing how much flow..... Handling, we'll see.... It uses 1/8 id cooling line.....
    After I drilled mine out for the larger bolt size, I just slotted them a bit with a round needle file. They are aluminum, or a similar alloy, and are soft and fairly easy to work.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Kevin, did you use the existing screws that came on the boat, or did you drill the hull and use the hardware that came with the tabs? I'm not a big fan of drilling new holes under the waterline.... If the handling on the run today can't be worked out, I'll either try a different location for the tabs, or go back to the stock ones.... It was very windy today, but we'll see tomorrow if the bigger tabs will take out the death wobble.....

RC Competitor
    Anyone run there boat with this setup. I have installed mine but my motor/esc are still at Traxxas. Its is windy here in Texas right now......... Spartan Sail Boat..................
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Enthusiast
    I ran it first time with larger tabs and pickup, it was 15 knot winds, but made a few passes when the wind calmed down, and couldn't get past 3/4 throttle without bad chine walk... Gonna play with tab and pickup settings tomorrow, hopefully less wind in FL, and we shall see... Oh, I forgot, Kevin, do you want to try some different cooling lines? Have perfect size in clear or black... You will have everything Tuesday......

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek75.5 View Post
    Thanks Kevin, did you use the existing screws that came on the boat, or did you drill the hull and use the hardware that came with the tabs? I'm not a big fan of drilling new holes under the waterline.... If the handling on the run today can't be worked out, I'll either try a different location for the tabs, or go back to the stock ones.... It was very windy today, but we'll see tomorrow if the bigger tabs will take out the death wobble.....
    The bolts that came with the tab adjuster w/water pickup were for the SV27 and were too small in diameter (2.5mm I think)

I think I could have used the Sartan bolts that came out, but they were a bit short so I used some 3mm x 16mm SS bolts that I had in my kit. Same diameter as stock Spartan bolts, but a bit longer.

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    ya i wouldnt recommend using the stock bolts just because u wont have that much bite inside the hull to keep everything in place, i had thought about this to and decided its not enough thread left after the adjusters, and the bolts that come with the adjusters are too small they slide right inside the stock spartan holes lol.... the bigger bolts that came with it are for the adjustments on the tabs not for mounting.. gonna be heading to hardware store today to pick up some better bolts maybe 1/4 inch longer then my stock bolts that should do it... and i dont think big adjustments are key i think small adjustments on the tabs will be key to getting the right settings, ima just leave mine in stock place for the first run and go from there

RC Enthusiast

By thyreaper at 2011-03-12

my spartan trim tabs with adjusters and water pickup as it sits right now... still waiting on my esc then ill install my bigger water line, i think ima do away with the stock rudder pickup all together if anything ill just place a water cooler in between the esc and motor if it runs warm, i have the trim tabs 2 turns down on the screws to angle them down, ill adjust as i run it
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-29-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Content

RC Qualifier
    Lookin' good reaper

Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    thanks, still waiting on the bullet connectors and the esc then ill be smooth (fast) sailing hehe

RC Enthusiast
    Looks great!! I'm waiting for connectors also to get my new motor humming!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Treasurer View Post
    Looks great!! I'm waiting for connectors also to get my new motor humming!!
    what connectors are you getting??
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    @ Film-Connectors from the 1520 to the esc and from the esc to Lipos. Gotta make a run to LHS to get em!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    @ Film-Connectors from the 1520 to the esc and from the esc to Lipos. Gotta make a run to LHS to get em!
    right on man!
    what connectors are you going to use for the lipos?
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    This looks like the safest and neatest mod, please keep us posted on how it cools.
    Bullet proof Spart! 4082,180a,m645 niccccee

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    This looks like the safest and neatest mod, please keep us posted on how it cools.
    Transom pickups are a great way to cool things
    I think deleting the rudder pickup and using two transom pickkups is a great way to go
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    I was thinking of getting 2 transom pickups for a total of 3. One for motor/ esc and get the esc cooling mounting plate from kintec racing...definite no trouble..I upgraded to a **** and leopard 4082 1500 kv.

RC Enthusiast
    @Film- I'm not sure what I'm goin to use for the LIPOS but my venom's are set up for the traxxas connectors.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    @Film- I'm not sure what I'm goin to use for the LIPOS but my venom's are set up for the traxxas connectors.
    they should work just fine bro!
    I dig ******* packs and change my connectors to 5.5mm bullets
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    Just ordered my supervee trim tab upgrade! And I have yet to see my boat in action on the water since I bought it 3 days ago... didn't realize the town I was sent to for 3 weeks (work) didn't have a decent sized pond or lake within 30 miles! Dang high desert in between vegas and LA is arrid!

RC Qualifier
    Here is phase 2 of my Cooling System Upgrade.

I installed a rudder modified by forum member Greek75.

The rudder has an additional pickup bored in, and the inner gallery has been bored to a larger size through the barb and all the way down to the dual pick ups.

Sorry the photo is a bit blurry, my camera wanted to focus on the strut instead of the rudder.

BTW, Greek75 did a fantastic job on this modification. Top quality workmanship

I see the images are missing from my original post. Here they are again.

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 03-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool idea to have a second inlet in the stock rudder?
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Are you happy with the trim tab water pickup ?? Is there plenty of flow ??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    Are you happy with the trim tab water pickup ?? Is there plenty of flow ??
    Things are still frozen here, probably will be for 3-4 more weeks. We have had a colder than normal spring here and everything is behind.

So..... Still haven't had a chance to run the boats yet.

Kevin

RC poster
    Just bought a Spartan and was wondering where you bought these cool pickups from as I've seen a few people saying the stock setup is not good enough on Lipos.
    Thanks
    Dan

RC Qualifier
    These water pickup/trim tab adjusters are available from Kintec racing. They are for the SV27 boat and require a minor modification of filing the mounting holes a bit larger to fit the spartan. Very easy to do.

You can also get a bolt on dual pickup rudder for the Spartan to provide the extra water inlet.

Hog

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Don't sweat the oops, these things happen, especially when trying something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    good job on this bro!
    this is the one mod I have mentioned several times on this forum and I think its the best one for cooling
    Im trying to decide which way to go. Why do you thing the transom inlet is better than the rudder inlet?

RC Qualifier
    Not necessarily better, but they do work well. When I added mine it was when the Spartan was still pretty new on the scene and the dual pick up rudders were not yet available for the Spartan.

At least not the ones that are the same dimensions as the stock rudder and bolt on without modification.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would likely go with a dual pick up rudder just for ease of upgrading.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Not necessarily better, but they do work well. When I added mine it was when the Spartan was still pretty new on the scene and the dual pick up rudders were not yet available for the Spartan.

At least not the ones that are the same dimensions as the stock rudder and bolt on without modification.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would likely go with a dual pick up rudder just for ease of upgrading.

hog
    Im going to add a pick up to my left adjuster and check flow. Since the adjusters are so easy to fab it would be cheaper and bragging rights if works as well or better than the dual pick up rudder.