RC Competitor

Rpm carrier question

Hi i purchased the RPM axle carriers in the link below after installation i noticed that my kb has an abnormal amount of outward toe. What could i have done wrong or is this normal. with a minor adjustment of steering trim it goes in a straight line.

http://www.toadztoyz.com/TRAXXAS/116...22527-1-2.html

Thanks Eric,

You can adjust the toe in/out to what you want it by threading the lower pillow ball in or out of the suspension arm. Once you get the toe where you want it use the upper pillow ball to readjust your camber setting.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You can adjust the toe in/out to what you want it by threading the lower pillow ball in or out of the suspension arm. Once you get the toe where you want it use the upper pillow ball to readjust your camber setting.
    Thanks i will try this.

RC Competitor
    Now one last question i have the lower threaded all of the way in do you know which way will bring toe back inward?

RC Qualifier
    Toe is set by how far in or out the pivot balls are screwed into the suspension arms. Both screwed "loose" pulls the wheel out relative to the toe link, pointing the toe out. Screwing both balls in will tighten the wheels in, giving you toe-in.

Since you've had to take those balls off the arms to install the new hubs, odds are you just need to get them screwed back to the right place.

Just a little toe has a huge effect on how the car handles. You want near zero toe in front, obviously the same on both sides (so you don't need to use trim to get the car going straight). And just a touch of toe-in on the rear for stability. Too much (more than a couple degrees) and your wheels are fighting each other trying to go different directions.

Grab some graph paper, mark where the edges of the tires are, use a ruler or something stiff to extend the angle of the wheels out so it's measurable. If I measure the inward angle of my rear wheels up near just behind the fronts, I see about 1/8" between the outer and inner angles of "play" for that wheel. Outer-most slop is at zero toe, inner is -1, and the wheel sits by itself right about -0.5.

Last edited by prototyp; 03-04-2011 at 12:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    Now one last question i have the lower threaded all of the way in do you know which way will bring toe back inward?
    Tighten the top too.

RC Competitor
    ok i got this all setup thank you everyone. now i am on the right path and got the wheels set now i can use my camber gauge.

RC Competitor
    great information.... Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Nice wheels prototyp
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded