RC poster

Question Which SPC Battery?

Hi All,
    Finally got my Summit and charger, only drove it twice so far but great fun! . Stock batts just dont last long enough for me though

My question is,
    Which Lipo Batteries should I get, the SPC 9000 mah's or the spc 8000 Mah's.

do the 9000's fit without any mods? (not that I dont want to mod, but I would rather avoid hacking anything that doesnt need to be hacked)

Should I stick to the 7.4V or go the next step up to 11.1V? will the 11.1V fit?

I will be upgrading to a dual revolver 700HO build eventually and also will mainly be using the summit for fpv, Will 11.1V on dual 700HO be to punchy to control reliably via fpv?

RC poster
    dimensions for the SMC 9000 are;

Length: 153mm; Width: 43mm; Height: 28mm

to me this seems like it will fit but maybe someone elses practical experience says otherwise?

they will both fit.... need two 7.4 volt packs to run +lva or lvc to prevent over discharge of the lipos from what i have gathered 60 bucks more for 1000 mah doesn't seem worth it to me.But thats your call.
    look into the dewalt 12v or 14.4v.search on here lots of people running them me included better than two kershaws and half the weight and have the power guzzleing.
    It's worth a look i think, three times the torque and can be geared up or down replaceable brushes and about $30.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Take a look at a thread I started a week or two ago, a lot of good information in there: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...or-max-runtime

Both will fit, the 9000mah is tight. I have some 8000mah coming to me on Monday, I don't know when my charger will be here though. I'll report back once I get both the batteries and the charger. Definately don't forget the Low Voltage alarm or cutoff.

Get in contact with Jakey, he knows everything about the SPC stuff.

RC poster
    Cool thanks guys, 9000 it is then. The way I see it for the sake of $40 odd dollars I get hours of extra fun over their lifetime. Well worth it in my opinion. $40 is like 1.5 weeks of morning coffee to me

RC Racer
    Cool. Let us know how they work out!

My 8000s are supposed to come in tomorrow, but I don't have a lipo charger yet! I hope that comes in soon! Not that it matters, since my Summit is not running...

Do you have to cycle new batteries before running them?

RC Qualifier
    Just something to think about before buying those monster battery packs.Each one weighs about 1 pound and the more weight you add to the truck the more problems in the drive line and damage when you crash.A 4000-5000mah 30c set of packs will still give you 30-60+ min of drive time and at $20-$25 a pack you can buy a bunch and still drive all day.To top it off they weigh 1/2 as much as those patio bricks you are trying to cram in there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Igore View Post
    Just something to think about before buying those monster battery packs.Each one weighs about 1 pound and the more weight you add to the truck the more problems in the drive line and damage when you crash.A 4000-5000mah 30c set of packs will still give you 30-60+ min of drive time and at $20-$25 a pack you can buy a bunch and still drive all day.To top it off they weigh 1/2 as much as those patio bricks you are trying to cram in there.
    Just something for you to think about. 9000mah LiPo's weight less then the stock series 3 8.4V NiMh batteries.

Watch your references!
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-10-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    Stock battery weighs 370gm on my scale.4000mah 30-40c hard pack about 250gm and SPC claims 450gm for the 20c.The last SPC I got was under rated for weight.So what is the weight of your 9000mah.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-10-2011 at 09:11 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The last SPC I got was under rated for weight.
    Then your scales are off or you are just looking for something to argue about.
    Last edited by Jakey; 03-07-2011 at 07:17 AM.

RC poster
    Hi Guys,
    Just ordered my 9000's from spc and cannot speak highly enough of their customer support. I had a few issues with shipping to my address and they were able to help me through the problem and responded within 15 minutes each email.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Then your scales are off or you are just looking for something to argue about.
    No my scales are not off,I asked why and they said that was the weight of the battery pack and not the wires and plug.SPC are good battery packs and I was not ripping them.I was only talking about adding nearly another pound to the weight of the truck and yes the stock ones are heavy.The 450gm weight is from SPC scales not mine and if wires and plug were not included a few more.They are big mah output and probably 2s2p packs and should weigh more nothing wrong with them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No my scales are not off,I asked why and they said that was the weight of the battery pack and not the wires and plug.SPC are good battery packs and I was not ripping them.I was only talking about adding nearly another pound to the weight of the truck and yes the stock ones are heavy.The 450gm weight is from SPC scales not mine and if wires and plug were not included a few more.They are big mah output and probably 2s2p packs and should weigh more nothing wrong with them.
    I AM SPC Racing and I NEVER told any customer that our weights do not include the wires and connectors, nor has anyone else here. I personally weighed the packs and posted those weights on our website.

I am glad you like the packs.

RC Qualifier
    Wow are you guys over reactive.I am not the one who claimed they were lighter than stock battery packs which they are not.The Extended drive times were not worth the weight trade off which was the point I was trying to make before you got all wound up.I probably would have bought new packs from your company[lighter and higher C rating] if you would have had what I was looking for in stock.If you and your minions want to attack people and accuse them of sniffing tire glue to give the illusion that these are lighter than the stock Traxxas packs you are hurting your own reputation by going along with this myth.
    Last edited by Igore; 03-10-2011 at 07:55 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Please stop the attacks. Please.

RC Racer
    Im with igore and the 30 buck 5000 40c packs! i have the gen acc and i think it was 74 with shippin for both. Now a admit i havnt had thoughs big 8 and 9000's and i would love them i couldnt give the 300$ for just one set! I mean im a nebbie and what if i screw them up some how doin something dumb? Blue lipo 5000 30c (64 bucks for two)seem to work great also for me and the dewalt! Just my thoughts on the matter.
    dewalt 14.4

RC Racer
    Wow. Let me just start my post by saying I am an independent party, new to the hobby and lipos. I have no allegiance to anyone, yet.

Now thats out of the way, I decided I wanted to go with some lipos for my summit. I did my research, and decided to go with SPC 8000s. GREAT customer service, and I asked Jakey many many questions before I made a purchase, or even decided to go with SPC. I got very knowledgeable answers, and the great service before becoming a customer, made me a customer.

I received my 2 packs this week, and build quality seems great. On the weight issue, I don't have a fancy scale, but holding a 7 cell in one hand and an 8000 pack in the other, the difference is negligible. Unfortunately, the charger I ebayed didn't come with the balance ports I thought it did, so I haven't been able to use them yet.

The packs are shorter than the 7 cell packs, which makes it possible to put the packs as far forward in the compartment as possible, and hopefully that will put some more weight on the front to help with crawling. I took the plastic retaining spring out of the top of the battery box, and they fit great. They are a bit snug, but not snug enough to be a problem. The cables are larger than stock, and do not fit through the cable slot in the battery door. I was going to fix this by dremeling out the slot a bit, but again SPC came through with a great idea. I'm going to dremel out one of the battery vents And stick the cables through there. Once I get it done, I'll take some pictures and post 'em up.

After the weekend I'll give some insight on how the packs perform, I'm getting the right balance boards from my hobby shop tomorrow.

And Just to clear it up a bit, I wouldn't have paid $300 for a pair either. The two 8000mah packs, with shipping, ran me $132.53.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-11-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Correction
    I gots trucks and no idea what I'm doing!

Traxxas Series 3 8.4V flat pack : 382g
    SPC Racing 2S 20C 8k mAH pack : 384g
    SPC Racing 2S 20C 5k mAH pack : 241g
    These are my figures, not someone else's quoted weights. Even the quoted weight for the SPC 8000 (413g) is only 1.1 OUNCES more than my 7-cell NiMH pack! The extended drive time is not worth the weight trade-off? Your contention is untenable. Please stop the silliness.

Please note: The LiPo packs were weighed at storage voltage. The weight of the extra energy present at full charge was not included.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =