RC Racer

Are the Twin Titans really that bad?

Ok, so I have been doing alot of reading on here. And am trying to find out just what i can expect for life spans out of the twin titan motors in my new E Revo.

I am really new to the RC cars and on here i seem to see alot of people saying the motors dont last at all.

I dont plan on beating it all the time. But i know i will use it alot. And i just wanna make sure that whatever or where ever i am using the car wont completely destroy the motors.

Thanks for any help.

Please watch the language. You MUST remove any *s in your post.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.

RC Racer
    Well, after spending a few more hours reading on here, I see that when the 550's give up, that there are many easy and better upgrades. I was just kinda worried cause I spent alot of money on the car would be disappointed if it messed up shortly after.

Yes, there are many different ways to go when the Titans give up.
    New Titans
    Single Titan 775
    Single or dual 700HO's
    Dewalt 12 or 14.4V
    a myriad of brushless systems
    etc.

What you choose is just another way to make your truck truly your own.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    I found that with regular maintainace the motors can last a while. And i know i wont be hard on it right away. This is gonna be my first real rc car in years. lol. But I do see that there are many options.

Glad there is a place like this that can help newbs like me. lol
    Last edited by Perkul8r; 03-02-2011 at 11:23 PM.

RC Racer
    The biggest issue you'll face with the Titan's is heat. Too much heat will cause the motor brushes to break off. That's what happened to me, even though I had motor heat sink's with fans. Was just doing reverse doughnuts in some leaves when both motors konked out simultaneously.

Traxxas support told me that going full throttle from a stand still causes increased stress on the motors, which means more heat. They also told me breaking in the motors properly when new is essential for "long" life. (BTW the 'official' process is to run a constant non-stop 3/4 throttle for 2 battery packs.)

Extended driving times (IE dual 5000mah baterries) can also lead to increased motor wear.

RC Racer
    Where did you find the motor heat sinks with fans? I was looking around but only found ones for the 1/16th cars. And i didn't think those would work.

RC Racer
    Got mine at the local hobby shop (LHS) for $8 each. Then had to plug them into the reciever box - easy.

thetoyz.com has a few listed in their Revo section. Pretty sure other major websites and ebay have them. Knowing the search name terminology helps alot.

RC poster
    If the twin 550's burn up then who cares. They're slow and weak compared to the other options. A Dewalt upgrade is only about $50 total and is WAY more powerful and will last for well over 100 runs. Still waterproof as well.

Lipos will kill the titans due to the long runtime(heat) and higher amp potential. All of the other replacement upgrade motors will run much better on lipo, especially the Dewalt.

RC Racer
    Ya. After a couple more hours o looking i see that there are many options for motors if the Titans give up the ghost. I also thought that the motors were alot more spendy. But it seems like as long as i stay brushed for a while motor options are fairly cheap and plentiful.

RC Racer
    I've been an active member of this community since November of 2010. In my time here, the general impression I have accepted is that people who purchase a brushed E-Revo want to eventually upgrade to brushless and LiPo batteries. Weather pending, a DeWalt upgrade is popular during "cold" months. Otherwise, the Castle MM seems to be the popular choice as the end result, but is cost prohibitive. While many choices present themselves; what is appropriate for the individual is most important.

RC Racer
    Ya, the biggest thing for me is that I want to keep it as close to waterproof as possible. Thats my only big thing. Money can be saved for going brushless, and other things, so thats not a big deal.

I have never seen both motors fail at the same time. What typically happens is that one motor will stop working because of a loose wire, loose pinion, poor gear mesh etc... The second motor has to to all the work and then it will fail because it is being overloaded. A little basic troubleshooting at that point fixes the issue on the first motor and you can keep happily bashing until that motor fails too. Then it seems like both fail at the same time. The stock motors are fine and will last quite well if taken care of. If you find you are regularly overheating them, install a set of smaller pinion gears to accommodate your driving style and conditions.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Both of mine worked fine, untill I tried hooking up 2-2s lipo packs. I no sooner turned the esc on and they made a little noise, jolted, and all together quit. I since went to a single KD 700HO, tons more torque, and it has taken lots of abuse and keeps goin. still runnin the stock ESC and it has no problem with a single kershaw.

RC Qualifier
    Which pinion do you use on your single 700?

RC Qualifier
    I think I have a 19 on right now

RC Qualifier
    i have a single titan 775 and am wondering how high i can go. im running an 18 now

RC Qualifier
    Just jeep gearing up until things start gettin too hot. Not sure about gearing on a 775. KD 700's run cool, but the higher you gear it, the quicker it will drain the batts.

Sent from my HTC Droid using Tapatalk pro

RC Racer
    Well, just got my E-Revo yesterday and so far I love it. I ran it last night in the snow a little bit before heading out of town and it did great. I did blow off/dry off around the motors and ESC when I was done.

Later last night I ran it again on the pavement with the batteries fully charged and not on training mode(I didn't wannaa break it my first time out) and now I really like it. lol. My brother in law that has a Slash now kinda wants a Revo.

After the run last night the Titans were warmish, but not bad. So we will see how long i can make them last. If not my local hobby shop stocks the Titan 775 and other parts i need to switch to single motor.

RC Champion
    I don't know much about the motors but my LHS clerk said that the motors lasted forever, and he's a great guy, saved me lots of money, and a friend too. So I guess they are kinda like nitros everybody gets different results.

RC Champion
    Could just be the batch of motors when it comes to the 775's, I have had a customer that did have a bad one, but that went within a week of buying the truck, end even then he was running some big lipo's and a mudding the truck pretty hard in just that short time! I do WD40 the bushings on a regular basis and try to be somewhat conservative on gearing though, especially when running 7 cells!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Racer
    Now my only question is that after i have run the car fairly hard, the batteries are really hot. I usually let them sit for at least an hour before running after charging. That way there is plenty of time for them to cool. Today after running them I wanna say I had about 20 min of runtime only. Last night it seemed like i got about 45 min out of them.

Am I doing something wrong while running them? The first two runs on the batteries seemed good. They weren't all that warm afterwards, and got plenty of run time out of them. These last to runs they have had one long run time, one short, and both times they got pretty hot. This time it even smelled like maybe the plastic wrap was starting to get way to hot.