RC Racer

Dewalt problems!

Just went with the dewalt 14.4 in the summit. Ran maybe 4 pack and broke a brush box? Looks like the + side brush is cracked down the middle. Anyone have similar problems?

Mine has taken a beating and no issues at all.I ran the first few pack slow and easy.What gearing are you runing and tires they are replacable at least
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    wow thats a new one. Yea Mine shows no problems . could the power wire coming from ESC , be pushing at a odd angle?
    luckily you can replace brush unit very quickly.

RC Racer
    yeah i thought it was kinda strange also after all the good things i heard. i did the water motor break with 3 D cells for an hour in water. runnin the 18p 65s gears and seem to hav great power with 2s lipos. new brush on the way and gettin a few spairs! Dont believe i had any odd angles but will check again.

RC Qualifier
    hopefully just bad luck of the draw (defective), and replacement you will have no problem. but yea double check to see if power wire is pushing at it , causing a stress point.

RC Racer
    new brush tomarro so i will let u no and hopefully all is good! any thoughts on replacing both at the same time and then doin a break in again? Wonder if it is smart to just put one in and not both brushs??

I've never broke in a cordless drill so i didn't break in mine really.just a few packs easy, no launches or full throttle blasts.pulled it and cleaned had a look and relubed.I think von may be right just bad luck.I haven't heard anyone having problems.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    yea no break in here either just went easy at first. around 3rd or 4th pack it woke up. but i did put a drop of com drop oil , before i ran it. since your's was run . i would at least give the copper commutator some motor cleaner, then just drive it easy for a pack. as far as changing both , its your call. but if the other is really worn down , then yea change both. but if still fairly new , you might as well get your money's worth.

RC Racer
    I would replace both since you will have to either take it easy or break the new brush in any way. Then you will have a broken in spare if something like this ever happens again. - My take on it and hey, brushes are cheap.

That is pretty savage gearing also. Dont get me wrong It will probably take it but for how long you will find out. I was running almost the same gearing with 4s (2x2s) on an 18V dewalt motor on stock wheels. In your sircumstance I would probably do the water break in again with 2 new brushes.
    Im interested to know what sort of speed you get with that setup. Are you runnuing 14.4V dewalt? and what tyres/wheels?

RC Qualifier
    I am running the 16/58 ratio which is about the same with no problem and have ran 17/56 without overheating in cold weather.The Dewalt 14.4 seems to have tons of torque no matter what ratio you throw at it.I did the water break in with the stock 8.4v battery 2 complete discharges with battery and motor under water.Throws water everywhere when you start but only takes 10 min a pack and works great.

RC Racer
    ok so i found a new brush in town after i order two online so only one got replaced. used the stock batts to break it in. drove around on a frozen pond in my back yard with the dog chasing it! its are little game and it beats walking her! lol! i guess with the first water breakin and how long it lasted i didnt do it this time. motors are 28 and brushs are 3 -6 bucks so just run it like u stole it this time! The 18p 65s is on the high side of the chart in the owners manual but the 14.4 doesnt seem to even seem to warm up hardly! stock tires and the one time i gps it i got 22mph. about as fast a stock tire want to go without high speed wobble i think. by the way has anyone had problems with those darm micro servos? i cant get my lockers to work and its only two months old! traxxas is sendin me sum free one in a few days though so that was nice of them! one is dead and the other wont move far enough to lock it in??

RC Qualifier
    Yes I had problems with the end point adjustments that were off and I spent quite a bit of time learning how to fully program the radio.Not as easy as a computerized radio but if you play with it you will learn.If the EPAs are too far you could fry the little servos in no time.now everything shifts right and the steering has full throw.

RC Qualifier
    Gearing no trouble as long as Tires are light (like the stockers) or lighter then stock. I have run 18/54 with titan , no problem so dewalt should handle. then only issue on dewalt would be clearing esc and shift rod LOL . yea seems the chart is if you run nimh . but if running 2 2s lipo with good discharge rating. no issue i see so far. i do watch temps. but for crawling to high no hold on hills LOL. but simple to put 11/54 (titan) .

22mph with GPS and 18/65, dang i need a gps i want to know how fast mine was at 18/54 the timing way i only was going 18mph which i think was off, just seeing it fly by like a little jet

yea Micros problem is the epa's in fact the steering has a issue to when mine was out of box, they would buzz at full turn. so i had to reduce throw. I agree counting light blinks gets confusing fast.

good to hear your dewalt is back in action. after you mention cold(frozen pond). maybe just maybe cold weather caused the brush housing to crack , being plastic.

RC Racer
    I think I got about gps 24-25mph with the 18V dewalt geared 18/54 with stock tyres on 4s. Maybe you have found the torque limmit of the 14.4 as the kV difference between the two motors should have been a bit more noticeable I would have thought.

RC Qualifier
    I am saving up for a eagletree setup , until then its just guessing. but its a ton faster then stock . and i like the fact i can switch between 18 and 11 . which are allot differant from each other. also motor is so low . i think ill try put the dewalt back on today. to see if it will fit with the 18/54 setup and 11/54 setup i am running now. its going to be very close i know.

the last dewalt test i did was with 14/58 and that cleared. ill post back on the 54 .

were is that hex wrench

Update: OK i tried the Dewalt with 18/54 and 11/54 Fitting
    the red power wire is straight down and looks like i broke my connection , so back soldering
    but it looks like it would fit . the slipper clutch nut is very close but still doable.

the 11/54 no way , the slipper clutch nut touches the motor , so unless one modifies the slipper clutch spring and nut, its not going to happen. hmm no wonder i was running the Titan again

anyway ill resolder my positive lead and see what happens with dewalt on 18/54 but for fast gear changing, thats out on dewalt must put a bigger spur back in
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 03-02-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: update