RC Racer

MyLCG Big Block Rally Build

This is my first Thread here on the Traxxas forums. I've had a Merv for a little over a year, and have spent alot of time over on TheToyz forums, but there seems to be a bit more interest and info about the 1/16th "on-road" cars over here. A few months ago I decided to start a Big Block Rally build. I started with a mostly complete Slash roller and went to work. The project is nearing completion and I'm down to fabricating a couple more parts and hammering out the final details.

Here's a couple of pics of where she started and where she sits. To see the complete build GO HERE

Where it all began:

Where we are now:

I look forward to your comments, and welcome any info/suggestions people are willing to lend.

'Til Later,

Ryan

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow... cool. When you said LCG I figured you meant having the ESC in the battery box... but this is really a cool build. I look forward to seeing how it works when you get it done.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    It already looks like a sick build! How's the weight distribution with that engine on the battery tray? I wish I had access to a CNC machine to make that motor mount. Great Job!
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Racer
    Thanks guys! It's been a pretty fun build, the worst part has been waiting for parts, and waiting for more $ for parts.

Right now its a little heavy to the motor side. I'm going to make some more aluminum parts for the other side to try and even it out a little better. If that doesn't work I'm going to try to run 2 batteries on the right side. Two 2s lipos almost perfectly offset the weight of the motor. I'll have to move around the ESC and do a little more fabricating, but that's what hot roddin's all about right.

Quote Originally Posted by all aluminum View Post
    I wish I had access to a CNC machine to make that motor mount. Great Job!
    I'm taking a class at the local Technical College, it was around $300 for a 17 week class. I actually took the class to make some parts for my 1/1 project, a '66 VW Bettle powered by a Subaru engine(yes, I like to put LOTS of power in small things) but I took a night off and made up the motor mount. I just hope I have enough time to make another one before the class ends.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-27-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Im in 11th grade and have FULL access to Mastercam x4 and x5. Autocad. And Rhino. And at my school we have around 5 cnc machines worth about 40k each an we an make whatever we want :P

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I personally think going with a slightly smaller motor would be best. This rally, while very fun when its overpower, will be a much better car if its no SO over powered... and the weight savings will help with handling. If you just want to go in a straight line, no worries... but if you actually want to drive it, look into a smaller motor and youll probably be much happier.

Just a suggestion. I love the motor mount you build in your other thread... very cool piece. I like that your retaining the factory mounting and adjusting style, just with your own parts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments guy, I can't wait to drive it. I'm sure it will be overpowered and heavy, but learning to harness and control that power is half the fun. Now I'm just waiting for a body... ....and a couple of other things.

Here's Some Progress Pics. Click the link in the First post to see the complete build and more progress pics.

Later,

Ryan

RC Qualifier
    Like I said before....Great Job! Love the motor mount and mounting plate..
    Last edited by all aluminum; 04-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Racer
    Thanks! That motor plate is my second try, v3.0 is in the works. I couldn't get quite enough swing for the spur and pinion to engage so I had to do a little redesign and giv'r another shot. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it up this weekend, i got most of the shaping done today on my lunch break, just need to cut the slot for the motor to pivot and finish shaping it.

I really hope someone releases a body for these things soon. I can't believe that no aftermarket companies have released a body for these yet, and don't get me started on the lack of parts availability for a car that's been out for nearly 6 months. What are guys who actually bought a Rally supposed to do? I trash an RC body every few months. I'd be pretty upset if I had to pay $40...$50...$60+ to a chop shop on ebay, because replacement parts aren't available. Its going to suck to have all this work into it and have to buy a Slash body so I can run the thing. I might end up trying to make my own vaccum former and try and pull my own body. I think a slammed single cab VW would be pretty cool.

Later,
    Ryan
    Last edited by KeltiKrewser; 04-06-2011 at 10:39 PM.

RC Champion
    How fast do you think the car is going to be driving with those mods?
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Racer
    I will be running mostly 2s LiPos and will probably gear it for 30-35mph depending on the temps I get. I will be starting at 33/45 based off what I have read/seen others using. I've seen several people running 31/55 with CC 540 motor/esc setups, and expect to be able to run higher gearing with the 4000kv 550 motor I am running. I am somewhat limited in the Pinion selection for my motor as it has a 5mm shaft. HR is the only company I have found that makes a decent selection of 48p pinions for 5mm shafts, I think they make 15t to 35t.

Here are some theoretical top speeds based off max lipo voltage. I'm not sure where I will be able to run mine yet as far as safe temps go, but I expect to be in the 30-35t pinion and 45-50t spur range. Traxxas does list up to 45/45 in their gearing chart for the Fiesta with aftermarket motors and esc so I have included those theoretical speeds as well, however I do not expect/plan on trying to run them.

My Esc is capable of running 4s so I included 2s,3s, and 4s speeds. I would expect @ 4s you would only be able to do a couple of speed runs at max before over heating.

33/45 2S@ 32.0mph 3S@ 47.5mph 4S@ 63.5mph
    35/45 2S@ 34.7mph 3S@ 52.0mph 4S@ 69.5mph
    41/45 2S@ 40.5mph 3S@ 61.0mph 4S@ 81.0mph
    45/45 2S@ 45.7mph 3S@ 68.5mph 4S@ 91.4mph

RC Racer
    Made some progress on version 3 of the motor plate. Full engagement of the gears with 33/45 with a little room to spare. Still need to do a little machining where the clutch/spur sit as the plate I made is thicker than the stock one.

Here's a pic of the new motor plate or CLICK HERE to see the complete build and more progress pics (sorry I was too lazy to re-size any more pis tonight)

Later,

Ryan

RC Enthusiast
    I'm very interested in this build. Let me know how the new motor position effects handling.

RC Racer
    Well I was able to finish up the motor plate last night in my Machining Class, and with the "New" body that was donated to the cause she actually moved under her own power tonight. She still needs some final setup and tweeking, and I need to tie up all the wires and what not, but all in all she's pretty much done.

Here's a pic with her "New" lid. What should I call it...Rat Rod Rally or Short Course Slider...

Later,
    Ryan

RC Enthusiast
    any updates?

RC Qualifier
    That slash body is extremly cool! Cant think of anything cooler than that body on a rally car

RC poster
    So, where did you get your speed numbers? Last weekend, with the full sized 3S lipo from my Pede taped to the top of the motor/ESC, I hit 51 mph. That was without the 31T pinion. Now that I have the 31T installed, I should get 60+ out of it.

RC Champion
    Dont use the big 3s batteries, theres a reason why the 3s for the 1/16 are smaller...
    Everything overpowered...