RC Qualifier

Stretched/torn/melted battery wrap suggestions

After many charges and runs, one of my batteries has decided to start tearing/melting in the center. Any suggestions on what i can do to save this guy?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd guess the cell directly under that melting has gone bad, resulting in a high Internal Resistance > hot hot hot!

You would need to remove the cell and either replace it ( difficult due to the number of runs on the other cells already... ) or reconfigure the pack with one cell cell.

7 > 6 cells isnt so bad really, can happily run 13 cells in total with no issue, though 6 > 5 will leave you with 11 cells total, still perfectly fine but you will loose a bit of speed and power so might need to drop a tooth on the pinion to gain some torque back...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    rrgh thats frustrating. they are only like a month old batteries from promatchracing. com. too bad cause i heard such good things about them. i wonder if they'd give me a replacement

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They might well do if they are only a month old, send 'em an email with that photo and explain the issue- cant hurt to try & I believe they have a good rep for customer care..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    will do. do you think its still safe to charge and run or is that a big no no?

RC Racer
    Wouldn't risk it. If gets too hot, may cause serious damage to your vehicle's battery compartment/frame. Have also heard of bad charging situations that caused a fire.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    I'd guess the cell directly under that melting has gone bad, resulting in a high Internal Resistance > hot hot hot!

You would need to remove the cell and either replace it ( difficult due to the number of runs on the other cells already... ) or reconfigure the pack with one less cell....
    I spent last weekend doing that with a couple of Traxxas Power Cell packs (3000mah). Good practice for getting/keeping your soldering skills up to snuff.