RC poster

Wanting To Upgrade Stock Steering Servo's.

Hi guys,
    I realize there is multiple threads for this similar question but i have read them all and they dont answer my exact questions.

I am doing an order from tower and would like to upgrade my steering servos to one good unit.I would like to know what is a good servo that will fit with no mods, if possible.Am using all stock equipment atm.Also if any extras are needed like servo horns or whatever links to them would be good to, basically i need to know everything i need and will need to do to change from stock to the new servo.Would rather buy from tower as i live in Aus and get large orders at once to save postage.

Am planning on getting new wheels and rok loks down the track, would like a bit more turning power.

Sorry for wall of text, thanks guys.

RC Enthusiast
    what ever you decide dont forget one nice thing about the traxxas servos. they can take the water. it would suck to spend some real hard money on a bad *** servo just to get it wet and bam its shot.
    ////SPIDERSVENOM\\\\ SUMMIT / EMAXX / SLASH /

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any servo can take the water- they are all fitted with o-ring seals these days; just add a dab of silicon sealant around the seams and where the wires exit = waterproof servo. You could also stuff some dielectric grease inside the servo case too if you are hardcore.

Anyway:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNRN6&P=7 best suitable servo tower sell

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...65#post4667865 servo horn options
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Thanks Guys.
    Correct me if im wrong but doesnt that servo have the same torque as the stockers.(250oz). i realize its 500oz with two but was wanting to go single as it seems the best way from what i have read.

RC Qualifier
    Stock servos are 125 a piece, 250 total. That hobbico servo would be a good choice for the money.

RC poster
    AOD: were you meaning that servo X2 or just one of those?, would i notice much differenct if it were the same oz torque, it will be 4.8v im inputting from stock equipment right? sorry for noob q's.

RC Qualifier
    Pretty sure the EVX-2's bec is 6v so you would 333oz from one servo.

RC Enthusiast
    Not to hijack your thread but I'm doing the same thing. There is a Traxxas cover plate you can get that fills the hole of the one that gets removed. Does anyone know what the part# is? I believe it was an option part for the E revo brushless edition.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTravis View Post
    AOD: were you meaning that servo X2 or just one of those?, would i notice much differenct if it were the same oz torque, it will be 4.8v im inputting from stock equipment right? sorry for noob q's.
    Quote Originally Posted by b@3 View Post
    Pretty sure the EVX-2's bec is 6v so you would 333oz from one servo.
    ^That. If you were replacing the 2 stock servos with a single servo the same strength as both of them, you wouldnt see any improvement really, but replacing both stockers with a single 333in/oz servo will give you quite a noticable boost in steering power. You can get stronger servos ofcourse, but for the price & since it's from tower, cant really argue with it at all given the spec.

As for that servo slot cover ( google-fu to the rescue ):

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...vo-Cover-Plate

TRA5326X

Thank me later

RC poster
    Thanks mate, will add it to my order.

RC poster
    One More thing Army, Cant seem to find that Hobbico brand in the listed servo horns that you gave. And i noticed that you say that you use the ones that come with the servo mostly, will i get one with the servo you posted? just want to make sure i get the right horn to mount up.

Just found this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD673&P=7

Will this work with the mentioned servo and the rest of the setup stock?
    Last edited by AusTravis; 02-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have been thinking about running 2 of these tower pro servos with metal gears and a total of over 400oz.http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html They are dirt cheap and will still use the Traxxas/futaba horns.Many crawlers and 1/8 scale use these with good luck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One More thing Army, Cant seem to find that Hobbico brand in the listed servo horns that you gave. And i noticed that you say that you use the ones that come with the servo mostly, will i get one with the servo you posted? just want to make sure i get the right horn to mount up.

Just found this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD673&P=7

Will this work with the mentioned servo and the rest of the setup stock?
    The Hobbico servo uses the same horns as the hitec servos use; it's not so much about brand, but the spline/tooth count on the output shaft- there are links on the Hobbico item page for a suitable metal horn, otherwise a standard hitec horn will work fine ( whatever the tooth count is, refer to that other link I posted before for a better list of options ).

RC poster
    yeah i found that link on the tower site eventually, thanks for your help mate.

RC Qualifier
    yeah i found that link on the tower site eventually, thanks for your help mate.
    Just one note on that servo.When I bought one for my Losi crawler I wish I had spent the couple extra $$ to get the better Hitec,JR,etc.This servo was IMHO overrated on power and buzzed even if I removed the servo arm.[ Buyers remorse big-time ] I even tried it on a different brand transmitter & Rx and it still buzzed with no arm.

RC poster
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTHR3&P=ML

so this is the hitec equivalant? also it will go in with no mods the same as the hobbico right? hmm now to decide which one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is it, yeah. It should go in with no issues, but traxxas servos are slightly longer than some other brands, so the mounting holes on the chassis may need a little tweaking for the hitec to fit- no biggy really.

As for the hobbico, first time I've seen any complaints about it- may have been a fluke, may not have- plenty of other options though for a high-torque standard sized servo..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    That is it, yeah. It should go in with no issues, but traxxas servos are slightly longer than some other brands, so the mounting holes on the chassis may need a little tweaking for the hitec to fit- no biggy really.

As for the hobbico, first time I've seen any complaints about it- may have been a fluke, may not have- plenty of other options though for a high-torque standard sized servo..
    I have only heard this happen to a couple of crawlers [ buzzing ] but it made me mad because I could not send it back and go without a servo for another week or two.The power was good but did not feel any stronger than the Hobbico 150 that I trashed falling down a flight of stairs.That servo was great [ strong and quiet ] but I messed up the main shaft.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys
    If you replace stock servos with just one high torque servo, what parts do you need ?

1.I was thinking of switching to this first : http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=34910
    2. getting this too to fill the empty space : http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=56664

3. Do I need another specific part ? Like a servo arm ?
    4. best servo I know (used actually) is the Savox 1256tg. Any cheaper alternative ?

thanks!

RC Champion
    thats not the best servo that Savox sells

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
    Weight(g):52.4
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .18
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 222.2 (TOO LOW!!!!)
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .15
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 277.7
    Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Aluminum
    25 Tooth Spline

savox sells the 1230sg with 500oz of torque for a lower price. It is a tad slower , but the increase in torque will be worth it

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SA1230...avsa1230sg.htm

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x45.0
    Weight(g): 79.0
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .20
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 417.0
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .16
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 500 (KIKKIN BUTT!!!!!)
    Gear: Unique Steel
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Full Aluminum
    25 Tooth Spline

or for the utmost in realiability gor for a hitec servo, costlier but very dependable.

- get the approriate ALUMINUM servo horn (hitec actually includes an aluminum horn0)
    - get an ALUMINUM single servo arm set up
    - may need to add a stiffer servo saver spring or use the washer method to get the full force of the servo

there are a lot of cheaper alternatives but try to stay above stock torque (250 +)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    That cover plate does not fit the Summit/Revo chassis... it is designed for the nitro chassis.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for your feedbacks. The single servo arm ? So far only saw dual from Hot Racing or Integy. Do you have a link please ?
    Rhnaks

RC poster
    DO NOT USE INTEGY! They look awesome but **** quality. Read up on the reviews of Integy. I bought bran new Integy shocks. They break so easy! Look for a better brand. I always get bashed around and get bugged for having **** products on my traxxas slash. so took em off, and bought front and rear Pro-Line shocks. Just dont get anything from Integy, Trust me bro.

RC Racer
    can someone point me to a good servo that would work for single servo use that is cheap i would love to get a $100 servo but cant do that i have mudslinger tires so i need to be able to turn them. or even a set of servos would work. my current servos are futaba s3305 witch are the same as stock and they work just looking to upgrade on the cheap
    Traxxas summit
    Traxxas rustler vxl

I have a Solar D772 in my MT4 and am very happy with it. It is a $20 metal geared digital servo with 350+ in/oz of torque at 6 volts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I have a Solar D772 in my MT4 and am very happy with it. It is a $20 metal geared digital servo with 350+ in/oz of torque at 6 volts.
    now should i get one or 2?
    Traxxas summit
    Traxxas rustler vxl

1 is more than the stock servo saver can handle.