RC Racer

Batteries for max runtime

I love my new Summit, but I'm looking to get much more runtime out of it than stock batteries. (And a little more speed wouldn't be a bad side effect )

What should I go with? I'd love to go LiPo, but price is an issue. I'm thinking for now, I'll go with high capacity NiMh, unless LiPo is not that much more expensive, but it's that much better.

I also need a new dual charger, because charging two batteries one after another is already getting old!

I'm pretty new to battery operated trucks, so I'm just collecting as much information as possible.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good lipos tend to be cheaper than top end nimhs, and potentially have the same or more capacity ( nimhs are limited to about 5000mah, you can squeeze 6000-8000mah 2s lipos in the summit trays though ).

Have a read of the tutorials pages regards lipos & charging:

TUTORIALS

( worth noting the erevo & summit have the same electrical layout regards esc & battery size limits etc, so what applies to one applies to both really, even baring in mind 550 titans v 775 titan ).

The lipo charger & charging section will cover all your dual charger options pretty well, along with the technique for charging lipos.
    The LVC section will cover how to run lipos safely ( lvc warns you when the lipos are running down, need to stop running when they hit 3.2-2.4v per cell ) & where to get an LVC/ how to wire it etc.

Summit FAQ is a worth while read:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q.

And to see what size lipos you can fit:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...atterysize.jpg
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    Thanks for the links!

RC Racer
    Ok, more n00b questions.

Is a 2s and a 3s really that much better than 2x2s? Is it worth the extra risk?

Should the lipos be run as the ESC is wired, or run in series for longer run times?

Is it worth the extra money to get a dual lipo charger, or just use a single one wiring the batteries together as shown in the tutorial?

Thanks again!

RC Enthusiast
    i bought my summit at hobby town usa. i also bought 2 venom 2s 20c 5000 lipos. i took a chance im not a venom fan at all. but i will say this. i have worked those to lipos harder than my other lipos that i use racing short course. i paid 50$ each new. but it turned out to be well worth my money and effort. im getting a good 30 mins of strong runtime.
    ////SPIDERSVENOM\\\\ SUMMIT / EMAXX / SLASH /

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Good lipos tend to be cheaper than top end nimhs, and potentially have the same or more capacity ( nimhs are limited to about 5000mah, you can squeeze 6000-8000mah 2s lipos in the summit trays though ).
    There are 8000mAh to 9000mAh LiPo packs available that will readily fit into the Summit. Late last summer I ran my Summit over 2-1/2 hours continuously during a crawling/hiking session while using a pair of 8000mAh LiPo's.

RC Racer
    Do you plug your batteries into the EVX as wired, or run them in series?

I'd LOVE to get over two hours of runtime, what kind of batteries do you run Jakey?

RC Qualifier
    cheap lipos that work well in summit look for blue lipo 2s 5000 30c or ski lipo 2s 5000 40c cheaper or same price as stock nimh. work very well. problem they go fast at the store. btw 4000's work as well and there is a 4400. the lowest C i would go is 25c above are only 1c charge rate.

just need to get traxxas battery plugs to swap out battery connectors. if lipo get a alarm like a BM6 so you can adjust so voltage is not so low. most cut off's sold cut off to low.

Gens ace also cheap and they have a 5c charge rating* , but there connectors are on top . so you have to remove rear air scoops.

dual charger look into FMS cell pro 10s charger . it will only charge lipos. but very affordable and has some nice key features like measuring individual cell resistance.

for waterproof lipo go maxamps. not cheap .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BiikeMike View Post
    Ok, more n00b questions.

Is a 2s and a 3s really that much better than 2x2s? Is it worth the extra risk?

Should the lipos be run as the ESC is wired, or run in series for longer run times?

Is it worth the extra money to get a dual lipo charger, or just use a single one wiring the batteries together as shown in the tutorial?

Thanks again!
    An EVX2 is ALREADY WIRED IN SERIES! Once you plug your packs into the connectors THEY ARE IN SERIES.

2S HAS TO BE ON THE BEC SIDE .... and 2S = 4S to the moter ..... and 3S = 5S to the motor. More volts = more speed = possible risk of damage to ESC/Motor.

Buy a charger based on your charging needs .... not on the number of charge ports as any charger can charge multiple packs with the correct parallel or series rig.

A 2S 5000 mAh lipo requires 4.2 volts per cell @ 5 amps = 8.4v x 5 amps = 42 watts

two in parallel is 8.4 volts x 10 amps = 84 watts

two in series is 16.8 volts x 5 amps = 84 watts

Thunder AC 680 Pro is AC/DC 10 amps max and/or 80 watts max for $60 http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

There are chargers up to 30 amps and 1000 watts available today!

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    There are 8000mAh to 9000mAh LiPo packs available that will readily fit into the Summit. Late last summer I ran my Summit over 2-1/2 hours continuously during a crawling/hiking session while using a pair of 8000mAh LiPo's.
    Do you plug your batteries into the EVX as wired, or run them in series?

I'd LOVE to get over two hours of runtime, what kind of batteries do you run Jakey?
    What Jakey said is very true - I was there. The SPC 2S/20C/8000mAH packs seemed to last forever. We quit before they did.
    There aren't any pics of the crawling, but these were taken just prior:

FWIW, I run a few of those batteries in my ERBE and they do VERY well.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those photos are actually from the second time I ran over two hours in trail crawling conditions.
    The first time was Labor Day weekend, 2010.
    Last edited by Jakey; 02-23-2011 at 01:38 PM.

So these batteries are giving 2-hour run times in a Summit consistently? No surprise they're some of my favorite packs ever.
    To be honest, after using these in an ERBE everything else I've run suffers (in terms of run time) in comparison.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    What Jakey said is very true - I was there. The SPC 2S/20C/8000mAH packs seemed to last forever.
    I will say that my two 8000 mAh packs are truly awesome. I can race them for 40-50 mins, which is about all the qualifiers, and then I charge them back up. Every time I charge them I put about 5000 mAh back into the battery. That is saying A LOT, I leave my truck on with a fan going for about 3 minutes before a race, then 5 minute qualifiers, and 15 minute practice. I love these packs, I can say I have never hit LVC with them, because 8000 mAh is just an amazing amount for racing. Not to mention I always kick butt on the straits, might have to do with the 160 continuous amps. So if I get nearly an hour in full force racing, a Summit should get well over 2 hours of crawling. I used 5000 mAh SPC LiPo's when I had a Summit, and even those would last over an hour.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    Hughes, thanks for the info! I've been reading around about connecting batteries to only one side of the ESC in series. Why do people do that if its already in series?

So for a first time lipo user, the SPC 8000mah packs sound good. What is the difference (if any) between the SMC and SPC packs? I see that SMC has a 9000mah pack, is that overkill? Its a difference of $70, which could be my lipo charger!

Do you guys charge your packs in series on a single channel balance charger? About how long do they take to charge?

And totally unrelated, where are you located Grand National? I'm in Silver Spring/Rockville. I'd love to meet up with someone to bash with!
    Last edited by BiikeMike; 02-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.

RC Racer
    And oh, how much more speed do you get in high gear from the lipos over the stock batteries?

Hughes, thanks for the info! I've been reading around about connecting batteries to only one side of the ESC in series. Why do people do that if its already in series?

So for a first time lipo user, the SPC 8000mah packs sound good. What is the difference (if any) between the SMC and SPC packs? I see that SMC has a 9000mah pack, is that overkill? Its a difference of $70, which could be my lipo charger!

Do you guys charge your packs in series on a single channel balance charger? About how long do they take to charge?

And totally unrelated, where are you located Grand National? I'm in Silver Spring/Rockville. I'd love to meet up with someone to bash with!
    SPC and SMC go hand in hand, but I can't really tell the difference IMO. I have used both brands, and for the money I think SPC is a better choice. Never had a quality issue with SPC knock on wood. I'll be completely honest with you, I mistreated one SPC LiPo I had, I left it uncharged for a while, kept in in the cold, and it still runs perfectly. It's almost like you can't kill them!!!

I use a Hyperion Duo 3, very pricey, but AMAZING. I can charge 2 batteries in 15-20 minutes if I wanted to. Hughesbob will suggest iChargers from ProgressiveRC.com, and again, great chargers. Very powerful chargers, and you can charge those in a series if you wanted to. I've never done that, but PM Jakey or Hughesbob as they are more knowledgeable about that stuff than I am.

I'm in Owings, Maryland, 20 mins South of D.C. I actually don't bash much anymore, just race, in Gaithersburg, MD (right near you) at THE TRACK. I would be more than happy to let you use my 8000 mAh's that I race with to get the experience of a SPC LiPo. Gaithersburg isn't too far from ya!

The comparison from a LiPo -> NiMh is crazy. Once I starting use LiPo's I never went back. The first thing you HAVE to do is learn about LiPo safety. I mentioned that I mistreated my LiPo, DON'T DO THAT! I knew I was risking ruining the LiPo, I just wanted to see how she would run afterwards. All batteries in the RC business are dangerous, don't let anyone tell you that they aren't. LiPo's as well as NiMh's can blow up in your face or potentially burn your house down, that is why it is CRUCIAL to follow all the safety rules when using high draw batteries like RC batteries.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National View Post
    SPC and SMC go hand in hand, but I can't really tell the difference IMO. I have used both brands, and for the money I think SPC is a better choice. Never had a quality issue with SPC knock on wood. I'll be completely honest with you, I mistreated one SPC LiPo I had, I left it uncharged for a while, kept in in the cold, and it still runs perfectly. It's almost like you can't kill them!!!

I use a Hyperion Duo 3, very pricey, but AMAZING. I can charge 2 batteries in 15-20 minutes if I wanted to. Hughesbob will suggest iChargers from ProgressiveRC.com, and again, great chargers. Very powerful chargers, and you can charge those in a series if you wanted to. I've never done that, but PM Jakey or Hughesbob as they are more knowledgeable about that stuff than I am.

I'm in Owings, Maryland, 20 mins South of D.C. I actually don't bash much anymore, just race, in Gaithersburg, MD (right near you) at THE TRACK. I would be more than happy to let you use my 8000 mAh's that I race with to get the experience of a SPC LiPo. Gaithersburg isn't too far from ya!

The comparison from a LiPo -> NiMh is crazy. Once I starting use LiPo's I never went back. The first thing you HAVE to do is learn about LiPo safety. I mentioned that I mistreated my LiPo, DON'T DO THAT! I knew I was risking ruining the LiPo, I just wanted to see how she would run afterwards. All batteries in the RC business are dangerous, don't let anyone tell you that they aren't. LiPo's as well as NiMh's can blow up in your face or potentially burn your house down, that is why it is CRUCIAL to follow all the safety rules when using high draw batteries like RC batteries.
    Ok first and most important, where is THE TRACK? Gaithersburg is 15 minutes away from here (at 3:07am on a Wednesday near full moon) but seriously, where is it, and when are races? If its private info send me a pm, I can keep secrets, I know where all the secret mountain bike trails are, and know not to post about them on the Internet!

I fully appreciate the warning about lipos, I know if treated poorly they can be very dangerous.

I have talked to employees about series charging, and they cannot recommend it due to liability. Which makes sense.

I'm pretty excited about going lipo, and it looks like the SPC packs are the direction I'm headed. So far I haven't heard anything bad, runtimes seem to be excellent, and ive already bombarded the support guys with questions and they have been very responsive. I put a lot of value in customer service!

EDIT: just found the track on google. It's awesome to have a legit race place! I'm definitely going to have to come for stadium truck races!
    Last edited by BiikeMike; 02-23-2011 at 11:03 PM.

RC Champion
    You will be very happy with SPC lipos. Remeber the bigger packs also weigh more.
    I heard Jakey got well over two hours crawling with two 9000 packs!!!!

The EVX2 is a unique ESC!!! in that it has a max 2S input on the BEC circuit and that it has another 4S motor circuit ... and both 2S and 4S share the same GROUND.

ALL ESCs are different in this respect to how the BEC is seperated from the motor controller and the max voltages for either.

The ERBE Castle MMM on the other hand is Traxxas wired in series but the BEC circuit uses the same voltage ....
    So the MMM stock wiring CAN use a pass through plug and be converted to two parallel packs:

Bob

RC Racer
    Since were on the subject of Lipos and the Summit, what "C" ratting do you get for the the Summit? I know the "C" rating is max amps output? If I run the 2S 20C 5000mAH will it damage anything? I'm guessing if the summit pulls more than the 20C ratting it just won't take off as fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob View Post
    I heard Jakey got well over two hours crawling with two 9000 packs!!!!
    Actually it was on two 8,000mAh packs.

Ok first and most important, where is THE TRACK? Gaithersburg is 15 minutes away from here (at 3:07am on a Wednesday near full moon) but seriously, where is it, and when are races? If its private info send me a pm, I can keep secrets, I know where all the secret mountain bike trails are, and know not to post about them on the Internet!

I fully appreciate the warning about lipos, I know if treated poorly they can be very dangerous.

I have talked to employees about series charging, and they cannot recommend it due to liability. Which makes sense.

I'm pretty excited about going lipo, and it looks like the SPC packs are the direction I'm headed. So far I haven't heard anything bad, runtimes seem to be excellent, and ive already bombarded the support guys with questions and they have been very responsive. I put a lot of value in customer service!

EDIT: just found the track on google. It's awesome to have a legit race place! I'm definitely going to have to come for stadium truck races!
    We actually currently don't do stadium truck racing. Don't look at the website man, it's super out dated. The track is ALL offroad now, and we race 2wd buggies, 4wd buggies, and SC trucks. I will be up there Sunday, come check us out man! You can borrow my Slash 4x4 (not my buggy, too fragile! LOL) but it's a great time. If you want, go there tomorrow night and Saturday, they are having a HUGE Mini Z race (Onroad Cars) and they are changing the track back to offroad racing Sunday. I actually use 8000 mAh SPC packs in my Slash 4x4, i've won many races with the batteries.

SPC has top notch service, I guess I have to give a standing ovation to Janice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Since were on the subject of Lipos and the Summit, what "C" ratting do you get for the the Summit? I know the "C" rating is max amps output? If I run the 2S 20C 5000mAH will it damage anything? I'm guessing if the summit pulls more than the 20C ratting it just won't take off as fast.
    C rating, isn't really a huge issue on the Summit, C rating isn't a huge issue on any truck really, as long as you have enough mAh to make up for the C loss. A 5000 mAh 20c would be perfect for the summit!! It won't damage a thing, since the EVX2 is a lower-amp ESC. With the 5000 mAh 20c battery you will be at 100 amps per battery. I used a 5000 mAh 20c SPC LiPo with my Summit and had perfect results. It was kind of weird seeing a big crawler type truck wheelie. Lol.
    Last edited by Grand National; 02-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.

RC Champion
    For the stock 775 motor 20C 5000 would be fine as it's easily comparable to Traxxas NiMH packs. If you go to a different motor like the Dewalt you will wish you bought higher C packs (25 to 30).

Always BUY as much C as you can get! More C = more punch and better absorption of braking current = less ripple effect.

Get a Chargery BM6 for a LVA to protect your lipos as it is fully adjustable and works great.

RC Racer
    Stupid question, do I need 2 of the BM6, one for each battery or just for the BEC side? Bob, I'm gonna hit you up for a tap so I can charge two of the 5000mHA on my Thunder AC6

RC Champion
    Since the BEC side depletes slightly faster than the other battery pack .... I only use one BM6 with a cheap 6" 2S tap extension.
    My BM6 is velcroed to my Rx lid.

RC Racer
    Looks like SPC is finally expecting new packs in!

I think I'm going to go with 2 of their 8000mAh/20C/2S/7.4V packs, and find a good charger to charge them both together. I really haven't been driving my Summit much, since I'm tired of taking an hour to charge for 15 minutes of fun

RC Racer
    Dang, those things are $60 each. I was looking at some ******* 5800mAh 2S 25C Lipo Pack at $28 each. I'm sure the SPC packs are better but I can buy 4 of the ******* packs for 2 of the SPC packs.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like SPC is finally expecting new packs in!

I think I'm going to go with 2 of their 8000mAh/20C/2S/7.4V packs, and find a good charger to charge them both together. I really haven't been driving my Summit much, since I'm tired of taking an hour to charge for 15 minutes of fun
    good choice, those 9000mah batteries have a hard time getting in the battery box but I can get an hour of full throttle jumping with the 9000's, something that would kill my stock batt's in 8 minutes
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Racer
    Thought $60 was pretty cheap for 8000mah. Like I said, I'm looking for max runtime.

Joe, I was looking at the 9000mah packs, but is it really worth the extra $60? I'm looking to make these the last batts I buy for a long time, so if it's worth the money, I'd consider it.

What I'm really having trouble with is the charger. Sure, I'd love a Hyperion Duo, but money is tight, and it's $250! I know it's the last one I'd ever buy, but ! If anyone has suggestions on a good less expensive charger that will do two 8000-9000 may packs at a time that comes with all the cords and balance board connector? I'd also love one that is AC/DC, BT that may be too much to ask.

Please watch your language. If your post has *s in it you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If anyone has suggestions on a good less expensive charger that will do two 8000-9000 may packs at a time that comes with all the cords and balance board connector? I'd also love one that is AC/DC, BT that may be too much to ask.
    That is a lot to ask.

RC Racer
    Bob showed me this charger, It's rated at 10amps.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

RC Qualifier
    Thought $60 was pretty cheap for 8000mah. Like I said, I'm looking for max runtime.

Joe, I was looking at the 9000mah packs, but is it really worth the extra $60? I'm looking to make these the last batts I buy for a long time, so if it's worth the money, I'd consider it.

What I'm really having trouble with is the charger. Sure, I'd love a Hyperion Duo, but money is tight, and it's $250! I know it's the last one I'd ever buy, but ! If anyone has suggestions on a good less expensive charger that will do two 8000-9000 may packs at a time that comes with all the cords and balance board connector? I'd also love one that is AC/DC, BT that may be too much to ask.
    if they are the last batteries your gonna get in a long time good choice, don't wast your time with those 5000mah batts, as for 1000mah more for 60$? there's not a chance I would do that, just stay with the 8000's

Please do not quote posts with *s in them, or at the very least edit them out. You are responsible for everything that goes into your post.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Racer
    Bob showed me this charger, It's rated at 10amps.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    Its a maximum 80w charge rate, I dont thnk that's very high

The Hyperion is 300 per pack,600 total...
    Last edited by BiikeMike; 03-01-2011 at 11:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    anyone have a Image of there spc 2s 8000 mounted in there summit ? Curious on how it fits. Thanks

BTW charger look into FMA 10S , Friend at work got one, and showed me it charging TWO 4s 5000 . BTW it does show you cell resistance of each cell on its own screen (don't need computer) . Only Pain he mentioned was the two push buttons on its side to program it. but its liveable.
    http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

need to buy balance hook up leads separate.

reedit fma 10s will only charge Lithium
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 03-01-2011 at 11:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    anyone have a Image of there spc 2s 8000 mounted in there summit ? Curious on how it fits. Thanks

BTW charger look into FMA 10S , Friend at work got one, and showed me it charging TWO 4s 5000 . BTW it does show you cell resistance of each cell on its own screen (don't need computer) . Only Pain he mentioned was the two push buttons on its side to program it. but its liveable.
    http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

need to buy balance hook up leads separate.

reedit fma 10s will only charge Lithium
    Thanks for the link. I'd like one that will do nimh as well, I'm borrowing a buddies right now.

RC Qualifier
    How Big are the Nimh you plan to charge ?
    For now my pick would be Hyperion charger , but yes pricey .
    even though i have a Hyperion now. I really like the feature on cell resistance the FMA has , and price very fair for wattage output it has.

RC Racer
    Not big. The stock 3000mah packs, and I'd like the flexibility of being able to charge friends packs, and whatever I may end up with in the future.

RC Racer
    I just scored a Hyperion Duo 3 on eBay for $200.59!

RC Qualifier
    360 watt if 615 should do the job all right

RC Racer
    It's the EOS0615i