Thread: Off-road

RC Qualifier

Off-road

How do these do off road? Not like deep grass or anything, but maybe a dirt rc track?

RC poster
    The tires that come on it are made for drifting and do not do well on other surfaces, but you should be able to switch to other tires and get decent performance in recreational use.

RC Qualifier
    HPI X pattern gives just enough traction to keep things fun. Coupled with modified Slash shocks for a bit more travel and clearance the Rally does pretty well off-road.

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfmUcEyYWM
    check that video out...

i have a kyosho rally nitro...the weight helps keep it on the ground. as seen on the video it bounces alot

RC Qualifier
    Wow, in that vid it looks like the Block is wound up even stiffer than the Rally. Crazy bouncy... Body looks like it allows for less travel than the Rally, so maybe it's set up to run around on the limiters? Either way tho, with tires, softer springs and more travel up front, the Rally's much more like a Slash (well, almost exactly a Slash) and runs much more smoothly, even on terrain probably more jagged and loose than that track. I'll have to get over to the local BMX track and try it out there.
    Last edited by prototyp; 02-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrada View Post
    check that video out...

i have a kyosho rally nitro...the weight helps keep it on the ground. as seen on the video it bounces alot
    Jang's review of the Ken Block Rally is so slanted to make the car look bad. He is running slicks in an off road environment and has done nothing to set the car up for off road use in that video.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Jang's review of the Ken Block Rally is so slanted to make the car look bad. He is running slicks in an off road environment and has done nothing to set the car up for off road use in that video.
    Yea but the review is for " out of a box " purpose... Personally from my nitro rally what I would do is change the tires for obvious traction, better shocks & maybe add lead weights. Good thing you posted this thread I was curious how it runs on dirt I love rally cars personally thinking about getting one myself in the near future.

Yea but the review is for " out of a box " purpose... Personally from my nitro rally what I would do is change the tires for obvious traction, better shocks & maybe add lead weights. Good thing you posted this thread I was curious how it runs on dirt I love rally cars personally thinking about getting one myself in the near future.
    This debate has been hashed out before. Would you take a touring car and run it in that field as it comes out of the box? When you take any car far enough out of it's element it is pretty easy to make it look bad.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-22-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    This debate has been hashed out before. Would you take a touring car and run it in that field as it comes out of the box? When you take any car far enough out of it's element it is pretty easy to make it look bad.
    And that's were modificataions come into play. It's a diferent story with a rally car!

RC Qualifier
    Technically it's labeled a Rally car and rally cars race both on and off road.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknic View Post
    Technically it's labeled a Rally car and rally cars race both on and off road.
    They do, but not without very specific tuning and changes to the car. Tires, wheels, dampers, springs, gearing...

RC Qualifier
    If you've ever watched a 1/1 rally race they go from dirt to pavement without having a pit stop to change out all their suspension, gearing and tires...that's all I'm saying

Not saying it's a bad car, it's actually going to be my next purchase, but to say it's not fair to expect it to be able to handle minor off-road out of the box is kind of silly when it's advertised and modeled after a rally car.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknic View Post
    If you've ever watched a 1/1 rally race they go from dirt to pavement without having a pit stop to change out all their suspension, gearing and tires...that's all I'm saying

Not saying it's a bad car, it's actually going to be my next purchase, but to say it's not fair to expect it to be able to handle minor off-road out of the box is kind of silly when it's advertised and modeled after a rally car.
    Putting a 1/16th scale car with slicks and tuned to be a drifter on a track built for 1/10th and 1/8th scale trucks and that is in terrible shape and has not been maintained is a recipe to make the car look bad. The fact the car made it around the track at all made it look pretty good to me. I would like to see a Touring car or Sedan that he kept talking about even make it around that track, I dont think they could and remain in one piece.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    You may be right is some form, but they run the course to deside how the car is going to be set up. If the course is say 80% dirt it is setup to run the dirt, and if it is a higher amount of tarmac they set them up for the tarmac. They also run electronic damper control unit's in there car's to be able to change the suspension rebound and compression for dirt or tarmac. WRC racer's will run the stage then either drive to the pit's for prep for the next stage or drive from stage to stage with a pit before they go out on the new stage. Not sure how SCCA does it. That's getting away from the topic in some aspect's. The slash 4x4 and 4x2 are setup out of the box for hard surface running, they followed the same route with the rally. Figuring people would be running it on tarmac, in the street's , parkinglot's and such. They they would tune it for other surface's like they do with the slash truck's. As with any RC the truck/car is not alway's going to be setup for the way you would drive it. I'm sure my slash is setup different than your's, but that is how I have it, for the way I drive.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    check that video out...

If that is out of the box with slicks,that is not bad at all,change to some better tires and im sure you wouldnt spin out as much,but that handled better then I thought

sooo can someone give me a link an a list of the upgrade parts to make this a decent rally car?? cuz it doesnt seem like theres any ground clearance with the stock shocks...

RC Qualifier
    Tweek some Slash shocks. Get some HPI X or, for more grip, proper 26mm rally tires. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Tweek some Slash shocks. Get some HPI X or, for more grip, proper 26mm rally tires. Done.
    really!? thats it!? so should i just adjust the stock shocks to be stif and get those tires?

do they make some meaty tires that will fit on our cars or is the HPI X's the best

RC Qualifier
    We like our X's. Lots of options out there tho... HPI, Tamiya, Losi...

1/10 26mm Tower Hobbies
    http://www.hpiracing.com/hpitires/touring/
    http://www.hpiracing.com/hpitires/rally/

RC Competitor
    I ordered a set of Kyosho OEM Rally Tire SET(4) 26MM DF03 RA SUBARU on ebay have not tested them yet but from what i saw in another post they rub a little on the front foam bumper but if you trim the bumper it will fix this. the ebay item number is listed below. They do take a few weeks to come in since they are coming from south korea.

Item number: 350420705959

Eric,

RC Competitor
    I forgot to mention tamiya makes a rally block tire but i dont know how fitment is. just look up tamiya rally block.

Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    I ordered a set of Kyosho OEM Rally Tire SET(4) 26MM DF03 RA SUBARU on ebay have not tested them yet but from what i saw in another post they rub a little on the front foam bumper but if you trim the bumper it will fix this. the ebay item number is listed below. They do take a few weeks to come in since they are coming from south korea.

Item number: 350420705959

Eric,
    wow!!!! i really like those!!!!!!!!! i bet they would do great in dirt! do they come with those rims or just tires?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    I forgot to mention tamiya makes a rally block tire but i dont know how fitment is. just look up tamiya rally block.

The Tamiya Rally Block tires fit on th rally just fine, and work well off road.

All you need to do to setup the rally for off road is to add preload to the shocks to get more ground clearance, and put sone off road tires on it.

Here's a vid of my on a baseball field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-sQec94RI

RC Racer
    adjust the body higher and make shocks more compresed and put 1/16 slash tires on it
    works good