Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 61
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330

    Your Bulkhead Failures!!!!

    Hey everyone, i would like to see pictures of your failed bulkheads.....i am currently modifying mine to fit the LST2 diffs and i will also try to reinforce the bulkheads at weak areas with J-B weld so your pictures would be a great guide to me.

    J-B weld:
    http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

    Thank you

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Valrico, FL
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    Hey everyone, i would like to see pictures of your failed bulkheads.....i am currently modifying mine to fit the LST2 diffs and i will also try to reinforce the bulkheads at weak areas with J-B weld so your pictures would be a great guide to me.

    J-B weld:
    http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

    Thank you
    I threw out all my broke bulks but my rear bulks would always break just in front of the upper front hinge pin, Usually just one side would break and it was almost always because of a bad landing from a jump.I don't recall ever breaking a front bulkhead. That said, since I started using an rcsolutions rollcage ,a year or so now, I have not had any broken bulks at all. It really stiffens the chassis between the bumpers to the point that it takes a really insane crash or jump to flex that area where the bulkheads typically break.
    I've used jbweld and and other stuff like it and I really think you would be wasting your time with it. Take some jbweld and put a line of it on tinfoil fairly thick and when it dries try to snap it in two, it's really not that hard to do.... much easier than snapping your bulkheads would be so I think the benefit is very minimal if at all.

    A lot of people swear by the brace going from the body towers to the shock mount so I made me some of those front and rear to go along with the rollcage just for the heck of it. I can see where they help some but the rollcage still stiffens up the chassis much more by itself.

    I just finished upgrading mine to the lst diffs too along with the xxl cvd's and kershaw center dogbones so I think the driveline should be pretty much indestructible now. I think it's a great upgrade.

    Here's a few pics

    the rear brace I made.

    the front brace.


    the rc solutions roll cage and a pic of the rear mount for it, the front is the same and it also connects in front of the tranny through the chassis.

    Last edited by candy76man; 02-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    yeah i am sure this does a great job eliminating flex and stiffening the chassis and protecting the bulkheads, thats the best solution for me because i really want to make a truck thats hard to break, the only reason i would have second thoughts its for the looks, i dont really like it , i would prefer something more like this depending where it actually mounts, because you cant really tell by just looking at it and thats the whole key to its efficiency.

    http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...&part_id=10137

    is there any lower design of this cage?

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    just had a look and the black one really looks good, i like the black one. i think the i have just added this to my list but that price.....ouch, its not really that much but there other things i need to buy

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    i`d buy that lovely cage in a flash, if i just managed to fit my outerwear cover around the mid braces.. Removing those braces is out of the question, since i believe that is one of the biggest benefits over other cages..

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    129
    wow, nice E-Revo. The only bulkhead I've broken was due to a bad landing (literally right on its rear) and the two 'legs' on the front of the rear bulkhead sheared off. I've been running my Losi/HPI drivetrain E-Revo for awhile, the bulkheads haven't broken even though I've had some rough landings.


    this was back in June 2010, far before I changed anything on the truck.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    i guess for now i will just add some strong upper braces both front and rear which help a lot to support the bulks and chassis and when i have the money i will get one of the cages

    i dont understand why they didnt interconnected the rear chassis with the center one, that would have really supported the whole structure.

    yeah that seems to be the weakest point on the bulks. i think i will fill all those gaps from the inside with jb weld, that should give it some extra support.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
    I threw out all my broke bulks but my rear bulks would always break just in front of the upper front hinge pin, Usually just one side would break and it was almost always because of a bad landing from a jump.I don't recall ever breaking a front bulkhead. That said, since I started using an rcsolutions rollcage ,a year or so now, I have not had any broken bulks at all. It really stiffens the chassis between the bumpers to the point that it takes a really insane crash or jump to flex that area where the bulkheads typically break.
    I've used jbweld and and other stuff like it and I really think you would be wasting your time with it. Take some jbweld and put a line of it on tinfoil fairly thick and when it dries try to snap it in two, it's really not that hard to do.... much easier than snapping your bulkheads would be so I think the benefit is very minimal if at all.

    A lot of people swear by the brace going from the body towers to the shock mount so I made me some of those front and rear to go along with the rollcage just for the heck of it. I can see where they help some but the rollcage still stiffens up the chassis much more by itself.

    I just finished upgrading mine to the lst diffs too along with the xxl cvd's and kershaw center dogbones so I think the driveline should be pretty much indestructible now. I think it's a great upgrade.

    Here's a few pics

    the rear brace I made.

    the front brace.


    the rc solutions roll cage and a pic of the rear mount for it, the front is the same and it also connects in front of the tranny through the chassis.

    hey man at last you made me wanna buy this cage, i really dont know why i didnt like it from the first, i ve seen them before but just skipped it, now i know its a must and forgot to say that thus is an awesome erevo you got there.

    did you ever brake a plastic rocker?
    using an aluminium rockers dont you think will carry the load from a huge jump to either the pushrod or the shock shaft?

    How did you modify the bulks to fit the lst 2.... i mean did you modify only the bulks or did you modify the diff cases too? please post pictures if you do have some
    Last edited by uninterrc; 02-20-2011 at 06:55 AM.

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,951
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-lot-of-things

    Start @ about post 15
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    yeah i have seen that....he only posted pics of his first attempt were lots of material was removed from the bulks

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    You need to read the whole thread..
    He has posted all the pics you need.. Even in the last page there, he has shown pics of modded diffs and where to mod the bulks..

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    63
    Sorry, my post has very little to do with this thread other than a little chest bumping. I got a HPI Savage Flux for Christmas. It finally warmed up here in Kansas so I took her out for a run yesterday. Unfamiliar with it. Did a cartwheel. Blew out rear bulkhead on first cartwheel. Was only about a 1.5 cartwheel.....not much. Something my ERBE could handle easily. Maybe a bent push rod or something would come loose, body damage etc.

    But my ERBE would take a quadruple cartwheel or worse to damage a bulkhead. Where the rear tie rod connects to the bulkhead is a very weak point. Not impressed. So much for SAVAGE Flux being so much tougher than E REVO....
    I am their leader, which way did they go?

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    You need to read the whole thread..
    He has posted all the pics you need.. Even in the last page there, he has shown pics of modded diffs and where to mod the bulks..
    oops, missed it. i actually had asked him to post those pics, he forgot to tell me he did. thanks alot anyway.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by knight81 View Post
    Sorry, my post has very little to do with this thread other than a little chest bumping. I got a HPI Savage Flux for Christmas. It finally warmed up here in Kansas so I took her out for a run yesterday. Unfamiliar with it. Did a cartwheel. Blew out rear bulkhead on first cartwheel. Was only about a 1.5 cartwheel.....not much. Something my ERBE could handle easily. Maybe a bent push rod or something would come loose, body damage etc.

    But my ERBE would take a quadruple cartwheel or worse to damage a bulkhead. Where the rear tie rod connects to the bulkhead is a very weak point. Not impressed. So much for SAVAGE Flux being so much tougher than E REVO....
    did that really happen? everyone is saying that flux is tougher than revo

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    Well this is one crash:



    Another one:



    .........:



    Totaly I have gone trough about 5pairs of bulkheads and a few chassis.
    Havenīt had any bulkhead problems since I switched to a 3.3 chassis and losi diffs tho...knock on wood!
    Last edited by Manne; 02-20-2011 at 06:38 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    How the hĢll did you manage all that in one crash? haha

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    Hehe Can you say AAAIIRRR time??

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    did that really happen? everyone is saying that flux is tougher than revo
    I'll take a picture tomorrow....
    I am their leader, which way did they go?

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    63
    Manne- now thats what I call

    ......wait for it

    .........wait for it


    .......


    "Bashing".
    I am their leader, which way did they go?

  20. #20
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    hey man at last you made me wanna buy this cage, i really dont know why i didnt like it from the first, i ve seen them before but just skipped it, now i know its a must and forgot to say that thus is an awesome erevo you got there.

    did you ever brake a plastic rocker?
    using an aluminium rockers dont you think will carry the load from a huge jump to either the pushrod or the shock shaft?

    How did you modify the bulks to fit the lst 2.... i mean did you modify only the bulks or did you modify the diff cases too? please post pictures if you do have some
    FYI-I am candy76man, I had to register a new account since I have been unable to login since yesterday.

    Anyway, As mentioned, mistercrash posted very good pictures of what you need to do to fit the lst diffs in his thread....thats what I went by anyway.

    I believe aluminum is only worth while in certain areas on most vehicles and the rockers are one spot on the erbe that they are a good upgrade, along with the shock mounts and the cap and spring retainer on the shocks. I've seen no negatives to the aluminum rockers but the plastic ones work fine too.

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    just had a look and the black one really looks good, i like the black one. i think the i have just added this to my list but that price.....ouch, its not really that much but there other things i need to buy
    They are expensive but well worth it to me, especially now that a broken bulkhead means another hour of grinding to get the lst diffs to fit again. I would have black too but silver was all that was in stock when I bought mine. They do seem to be out of stock on them a lot.

  22. #22
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    i`d buy that lovely cage in a flash, if i just managed to fit my outerwear cover around the mid braces.. Removing those braces is out of the question, since i believe that is one of the biggest benefits over other cages..
    yeah, without that center brace attached to the chassis it would still allow it to flex too much.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    well thats a crash....wasit from a jump?

    i wouldnt like to change the chassis to 3.3 but i ll try to stiffen it with f/r upper braces and an rc solution rollcage......never thought buying but i love it now ita a must

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    They are expensive but well worth it to me, especially now that a broken bulkhead means another hour of grinding to get the lst diffs to fit again. I would have black too but silver was all that was in stock when I bought mine. They do seem to be out of stock on them a lot.
    it took a lot more than an hour but was the first time, instead of getting used to it i better get that cage, hoping they becoma available in a month. As said this is what i am planning to do....once i install the lst 2 diffs i shall together add the cage to support the bulks and the hours of grinding. i am not installing lst2 diffs still something goes wrong with the stock ones, then rebuild them and shim them, if they fail again, then i will go with the lst 2.
    Last edited by uninterrc; 02-20-2011 at 10:21 PM.

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    wrong post
    Last edited by uninterrc; 02-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Well this is one crash:



    Another one:



    .........:



    Totaly I have gone trough about 5pairs of bulkheads and a few chassis.
    Havenīt had any bulkhead problems since I switched to a 3.3 chassis and losi diffs tho...knock on wood!
    5 pairs????? for how long???? do they really brake that easily or was it from huge jumps?

  27. #27
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    did that really happen? everyone is saying that flux is tougher than revo






    again, its where the right rear tie rod connects to the bulkhead. Bulkhead;

    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWUZ4....

    ... comes in two pieces. Only the rear most piece needs replaced on mine.

    Fact remains, this would not happen on an ERBE. I will say it had stupid power and wicked speed out of the box with the slipper cranked shut. Does not stick to the ground as well as an ERBE. My bad for not being very prudent with it until I got a feel for her. That didn't sound very good.
    I am their leader, which way did they go?

  28. #28
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Well this is one crash:






    Totaly I have gone trough about 5pairs of bulkheads and a few chassis.
    Havenīt had any bulkhead problems since I switched to a 3.3 chassis and losi diffs tho...knock on wood!
    Just for the record, I don't think the rcsolutions roll cage would have helped much in the crash that did that to your revo In fact, you may very well have ended up with a mangled rollcage as well in that crash.
    The guy formerly known as candy76man.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    Five pairs on one summer So in a time period of aproximitly three month, but I still think itīs too much.

    I know that Iīm pushing it to the limit... But I really think it has some...Not design flaws but they should have beefed things up when they took the nitro revo bulkheads and mounted them on a plastic chassis.

    That crash was a 4meter/13feet high over rotated doubble backflip.

    And here we go again and I just canīt help it, I have to shime in.
    The flux is a overall tougher truck, there is nothing to argue about. The problem with the rear tierods is well known and there is a easy fix for that, rear tierod eliminators.

    Look at my truck, When I have aluminium rockers, rpm knuckels with steel rings in the front and a fullskid:



    my truck will be as bulletproof as it can be, what do you think will hold up best?

    A flux with 5mm tcs crawler chassis, tie rod eliminators, and Goldenīs aluminium bulkheads, rpm a-arms and the hubs in alu or my revo? Iīm sad to say that my money is on the flux, it is still possible to get cracks in the revo bulkhead even with the fullskid, and I still need beefier rodends, more beefy than the stock "fat ones". Another minor problem is that the revoīs a-arms are a bit flexy when you use rpm. Flexy enough to bend the Lst cvdīs....The savage arms is..Well just lets say not flexy. Not twice the thickness of the revo arms but almost..

    If they gave us aluminium bulkheads it might be a whole different story tho

    Then we just have to figure a way to use som beefier rod ends, and I donīt think that will be so hard to find. I know I read a thread about someone who used dubro rodends or some other airplane stuff, they were like double as thick as the stockers

    And donīt get me wrong! I LOVE my revo. No doubt about it.
    Last edited by Manne; 02-21-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling...

  30. #30
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Planet Koozbane
    Posts
    190
    Did you make that full skid or can you buy it?
    I need more R/C cash.....

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    You can buy it . There was this great company called hardcoreracing, they made them out of titanium that was the best thing anyone have done. Now itīs just the crappy steel integy version left...:

    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSKD0&P=7

  32. #32
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    You can buy it . There was this great company called hardcoreracing, they made them out of titanium that was the best thing anyone have done. Now itīs just the crappy steel integy version left...:

    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSKD0&P=7
    Just so no ones confused, that one piece skid is for the aluminum chassis 3.3 version revo, not the plastic chassis e-revo.
    The guy formerly known as candy76man.

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    Good call Dawson! Or should I say CANDYMAAAN!?

  34. #34
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Good call Dawson! Or should I say CANDYMAAAN!?
    Yeah, something got screwed up on my old account after whatever they were doing to the forum the last few days and I could no longer login.So now I have to decide if I'm gonna keep the new one or go back to my old account if it starts working again at some point.
    The guy formerly known as candy76man.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    At this level of abuse, i doubt any car would survive 100%..

    I havent got Flux experience, but i had 2 nitro savages earlyer, and i`ve broken ALOT of bulks, arms, shocks, shafts ++ on them also..

    When reading about the savage flux, you often get mentioned weak trannys, weak diff bearings, diff spiders, bent/lost dogbones and bent shocks..
    This tells me that both trucks have theire weaknesses.

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    709
    I have flux experience,
    the weak trannys, weak diff bearings, diff spiders, bent/lost dogbones and bent shocks are there BUT there is a fix for each problem, there is hardned internals and ofcourse shimming the internals is nessesary.

    There is hardned gears for the gearbox and the gearbox is ok with those gears on 6s, just lube them alot. Bearings- ceramic bearings and the problem is gone. havenīt had any issues with dogbones and the fluxīs shocks is great, the old eight-shock setup on the savage 25 and x 4.6 etc is worse, they do bend. The new bulkheads are great! They can take a ton of abuse, and if you break them...Golden horizon makes aluminium ones.

    But I have this special love for the revo, I just Love it, it has SOUL.

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    If 15ft triple flips is the main thing, i probably would buy the flux as well I just meant they both have issues that has to be taken care of.. But at youre level of abuse, i highly doubt even the Flux will survive haha

    Well, i just ordered a RC-solution cage too, so i guess i have to take 2 hole`s in my new outerwear cover soon
    I wonder if i could make somekind of zipper for it or something.. Hmm..

  38. #38
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Here's a few tips for when you install the roll cage.

    1- use red or blue loctite on all the screws for the round cross members. I used red because there is really no reason to ever have to take them back off.

    2- Also, I changed out the 8 button head screws that hold the cage to the front and rear bumper mounts to the larger barrel head type. The smaller button heads round out too easily and those are the ones you remove to take the cage off and on when you need to work on the revo...use blue loctite on those.
    The guy formerly known as candy76man.

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    Thanks, good tips there..

    I got some Q`s for you, but i`ll send them on a PM

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    If 15ft triple flips is the main thing, i probably would buy the flux as well I just meant they both have issues that has to be taken care of.. But at youre level of abuse, i highly doubt even the Flux will survive haha

    Well, i just ordered a RC-solution cage too, so i guess i have to take 2 hole`s in my new outerwear cover soon
    I wonder if i could make somekind of zipper for it or something.. Hmm..
    where did you get the rc solution cage? they dont have any stock

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •