RC Enthusiast

Bearing Question.

My summit finally blew an outer wheel bearing and it was completely shredded, most of it was dangling on the driveline. When I was taking it apart I noticed that one axle carrier has what appears to be a bigger size bearing on the inside of it, closest to the driveline. Is it a bearing or something else, also, is it suppose to be there because only one axle carrier has it in there. And I cant seem to be able to pull the carrier off the driveline to replace that mystery part as well, because it is also in pieces. I got the truck off ebay so I don't know what its been through before me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    yup should have bearing on inside (bigger) Traxxas 5120 and the outside traxxas 5180 .

if you really need to get the axle carries off . need to unscrew the Ball joints. there is a tiny slot in the blue rubber cap (wheel side) . but you will need to readjust camber also the play on the ball joints.

hopeful have a manual if not you can get in PDF form from traxxas website under support for summit.

then go to page 23 look static camber adjustment. there is a graphic showing were to insert hex wrench to get to ball joints.

I use a small wood dowel to push out inner bearing . you can also use a dowel for the outside ones.
    catch edge and push . but work it one side at a time like going around a clock, and walk it out.

but with damage it might be stuck or melted in. then you might as well get new carriers if that is the case.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 02-15-2011 at 11:09 PM.

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    Only one inside bearing on one knuckle? Must be really torn up in there?

You can get a complete set of all four knuckles with all inside and outside bearings (eight total), blue "accordion looking" pivot ball dust seals, new pivot balls, the outside blue seals, the whole shebang, four of them for $17 plus $4 shipping or so. Ready to swap out whole assembly.

The top pivot ball is usually screwed in all the way, and the bottom one is the trick to get to set camber right, unless you want the wheels sticking out more on the top. If you don't have a manual you can buy that on eBay too, or download the pdf from Traxxas site.

IOW, the more you back the bottom pivot ball out counterclockwise the more negative camber you get. Factory setting is 1 degree negative camber each wheel sitting at rest static.

I write down how many turns from fully in my old settings are before I remove pivot balls. Then I try to back the new pivot balls (or reassembled old ones) by the same amount. I roughly check it with an Integy 7 inch metal camber /toe-in gage or by eye. You sort of have to guess with the stock tires as they flatten under weight and bulge out at bottom. Check toe in after camber is set.
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 02-16-2011 at 12:02 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've already removed the ball joints, so the inner bearing must be holding the driveline in. I don't want to buy new knuckles if they're just fine, but it looks like I might have to.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pro.15 View Post
    I've already removed the ball joints, so the inner bearing must be holding the driveline in. I don't want to buy new knuckles if they're just fine, but it looks like I might have to.
    You can remove the axles at the other end, away from the knuckles. At the point where they connect to the differential shafts. Near center of truck

Do you see the blue accordion rubber seals about two thirds of the way out on the axles? Find the hex set screw on the axle near the differential. Unscrew with the smallest of your three hex key tools that came with the truck. Pull the pin out. Compress the axle towards that accordion, until the axle slips off the differential stubby shaft. Two shafts are shorter than the others...don't get them mixed up.

I've had axle ends get so worn that they almost refuse to pass through the outer bearing. But I've always have been able to slip the axle metal end off the inner bearing.

Be sure to look carefully at the ball shaped axle ends (both ends). If the slot in the ball is worn, or all of the black has come off and it is really, I mean really shiny you might need to replace these. Again, economical way if you have to replace more than two or three is to just by a new set of either two or four axles...eBay. Two about $24 these days, four about $47. They've dropped in price a few dollars in the last months it seems.
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 02-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I too have only an outer bearing on both my rear carriers. Looking at the exploded view, they only show an outer, http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...r_100217_0.pdf. Now, looking at the front, they show the outer 6x13 and an inner 12x18. The carrier is the same, a TRA5334R, http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...t_100210_0.pdf. Did Traxxas send out some of the Summits with an inner and outer bearing in the rear standard, and some not? I'm going to pick up a set off of eBay as suggested. Just trying to clear up how some of you have both bearings stock.

My manuel did not show or list those bearings but they are there or should be the outer ring may still be there just hard to see.Are the stub end and wheels really sloppy then thats the problem they are a bit difficult to get out and back in but they are there or should be.front and rear
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried