RC poster

second broken rear diff in 2 days.

just bought the summit 5 days ago getting ready to buy my second diff shaft on the locker side rear. is there something im doing wrong or should i stock up on them parts now.

RC Racer
    are you coming to a complete stop ? lock and pull off slowly for a foot or two to give it time to lock smoothly. only run locked at slow speed. thats what I have always done and have no problems at all in 10 months or so of ownership
    http://outlawrccrawlers.createaforum.com/index.php

RC poster
    the second time it broke it was unlocked. i was scared to lock it after it broke the first time.. i was even in the house the second time it broke..

RC Qualifier
    odd what part number ?

RC Racer
    The very first batch of summits had this problem due to manufaturing fault or something like that. If your brand new summit is 27MHz not 2.4GHz then I suggest that you have purchased one of the first lot made. If this is the case just give traxxas support a call and they will ship you out some repacements.
    In fact even if it's not one of the older ones give them a call anyway, I'm sure they will hellp you out. I've never had to use them but I hear good things.

RC poster
    i bought the newest version the 5607 with the 2 7cell nimh's. replaced the broken part with the traxxas 5678 part. going to buy a cpl of them today. hopefully the new one wont break knowing there is a spare waiting lol. that or i just wont drive it at my moms house anymore. its been breaking at her house.

RC Qualifier
    maybe your source has all the old defects in stock. yup looks like the part number of the old problem . odd on a new 2.4 unit. call traxxas for sure.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 02-13-2011 at 10:48 PM.

RC Racer
    So what is the new part number? I just broke mine on the first day out, not even locked or anything. I was thinking of just ordering a whole new diff assy from eBay for $33 and then have a backup.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    So what is the new part number? I just broke mine on the first day out, not even locked or anything. I was thinking of just ordering a whole new diff assy from eBay for $33 and then have a backup.
    Yes I bought a complete one on e bay for $23 and rebuilt it with 500K Traxxas diff oil and swapped them out 1 at a time.

RC Racer
    Just won one for $20.50, brand new. I'll get some diff oil on order. Did you ship the new diff when you got it?

RC Racer
    One guy in recent past had a buy it now price of $20. He's the cheapest non-auction. He is low volume though, still has tons of sales, just doesn't always have a diff up for sale. Hope he's still around and at that price.

I won one recently for $16.50 auction, plus only $2 shipping, since I ordered a bunch of other stuff at same time. Sort of makes it not worth taking apart...except I put ceramic in the pinion gear and shimmed it.

RC Qualifier
    When I took mine apart 2 of 3 had at least 1 of the blue X rings torn and one had the main gasket ripped all were straight from the factory.The X rings can be replaced with #47 plumbing O rings and the main gasket will stay in place if you do not overfill the case with diff fluid.I decided to rebuild because the diffs felt different and it was because one was empty.Traxxas 500K diff fluid is so thick it would probably stay with no gasket.[ best diff fluid yet ]

RC poster
    i emailed traxxas to tell them and they sent me 2 new ones. and the invoce shows diff oil on backorder. the second time i had it apart i cleaned it completely out which is very hard. next time i will try and use carb cleaner and a tooth brush. not dishliquid and hands. seems to be holding up very well.