Hybrid View

RC poster

Talk to me (a newbie) about mods...

I couldn't really find the best place to post this... I got a Monster '69 Camaro traxxas electric today and know literally nothing about it. So what can I do to make it handle best, what type of wheels/tires should I look at for some spares, and how do I know which other bodies will fit on it?

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im so jealous of you... but way to go and congrats on winning a sweet car. I beg you, dont run that body. Before you run it, get a new body.
    On that note, the ONLY bodies that fit correctly on this car are the stock Rally VXL, Stock Rally Fiesta and Ken Block Rally bodies. There have been a few guys fudge other bodies on these cars but they dont fit correctly. At some point the Brushed and brushless Mustangs will come out and those bodies will obviously fit also.

As for wheels and tires you need to know what kind of driving you want to do. Do you want the car to stick to the ground? Do you want to drift? Speed runs? If you want to stick, get any 26mm touring car wheels/tires. HPI makes a number of choices. Any 26mm rim will work also.
    If you want to drift the way this car was meant to, use the stock tires. They work very well. If you want to do speed runs, look at a set of HPI Belted Radials.

Theres not too much info out there just yet about the brushed cars performance. I have to think it will perform pretty well. I do know installing a brushless system would have get it performing even better. Im sure there are people out there who would be happy to work a deal with you as a partial trade for your brushed setup for their brushless system.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im so jealous of you... but way to go and congrats on winning a sweet car. I beg you, dont run that body. Before you run it, get a new body.
    i ran it for about 5 minutes with the body... there's already a slight scratch on it, but i'm not really upset about it, as i didn't desire this car as a collector's item, but as something to enjoy... i won it in a contest, but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate it... since then, i've been running it without the body, while i learn... once i'm more comfortable with it, then i may put the body back on, which is why i was asking about something else (disposable) that I could use in the meantime.

On that note, the ONLY bodies that fit correctly on this car are the stock Rally VXL, Stock Rally Fiesta and Ken Block Rally bodies. There have been a few guys fudge other bodies on these cars but they dont fit correctly. At some point the Brushed and brushless Mustangs will come out and those bodies will obviously fit also.
    excellent.. where is the best place to find the least expensive one to run?

As for wheels and tires you need to know what kind of driving you want to do. Do you want the car to stick to the ground? Do you want to drift? Speed runs? If you want to stick, get any 26mm touring car wheels/tires. HPI makes a number of choices. Any 26mm rim will work also.
    If you want to drift the way this car was meant to, use the stock tires. They work very well. If you want to do speed runs, look at a set of HPI Belted Radials.
    i'm having fun with the drifting and spinning, so i think i'll stick with that for now... is there any particular brand of tires that work better? I'd like to just go ahead and pick up my spares now, so when i burn these down i'll have my others ready to go..

also, it came with one battery, but looks like it supports two... do i just get the second battery and the Y-connector? if i do that, can i charge both through the Y or do i have to charge them one at a time?

thanks for the help!
    '69 Monster Camaro

RC Qualifier
    Congrats! Jealous also.
    If you want to drive it I would say one of the best and simple upgrades to do would be rpm axle carriers. Great bang for your buck and the stock ones like to break. I'm with Pave though, cherish that thing!
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

If you dont have any connection to that body, I say sell it. Youll get really good money for it. More than you can buy any other rally body for and there are lots of guys out there DYING for that body you have. Before it gets all scratched up, sell it and buy a different one. Just my opinion.
    Most Rally bodies sell for between $40 and $50... a Ken Block body can sell for over $60 from time to time. Right now, the only way to get a body for a rally is from what we call a "chop shop". Or a guy who buys cars new, then takes them apart and sells the pieces. Traxxas doesnt have any bodies availiable on their own just yet.

If you want a good all round drift style tire/wheel, the stock ones are actually really good. Towerhobbies.com has stock rally VXL tires in stock and you can buy pretty much any 26mm touring car rim in a 0 or +3 offset. Ive got a number of different tire and rim combos ive been running and the ones I like best are the stockers.

The car CAN hold 2 batteries... but it handles better with just one in the left side (when looking from the back of the car). Getting a 2nd stock battery is a good idea to extend run times. Your stock wall charger can not charge both batteries through the Y adapter (or parallel adapter) but a better charger can do this. Your charger will take all night to charge the pack... a higher end charger can do it in 1 hour. something like a Duratrax Onyx 210 or something like that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    People would pay for $90 just for that body. Um Bro these cars are VERY VERY durable. Just rpm carriers after a couple weeks is needed. But buy them now. It wont hurt

RC poster
    Body's not for sale

I love the look of the car... my first performance car was a black camaro, and my current performance car is a black GM v8 vehicle... that body's going on the wall in the garage for now... just gotta find a replacement to use... is there anything cheap that i can "make" fit (if it's only a few bucks, i don't mind putting a few holes in it in new places)
    '69 Monster Camaro

The size of the traxxas 1/16 rally is very unique. If you want something to fit even remotely correct (if your picky like me) youd be better off just buying a proper rally body. With the new brushed fiestas coming out you should be able to find one of those for less than the $60 people are getting for the KB fiestas.

Check your PM's
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

can you buy re placement KB bodies somewhere?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PASTY T-BAG View Post
    can you buy re placement KB bodies somewhere?
    eBay for $70 ish
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded