RC Competitor

Upgrade revo to hit 40mph

I was looking for a upgrade to make my revo just run in the low 40 mph range. I was going to buy a cc set up but is there something out there that would run on two 2-cell lipo and run about 10 mph faster? I don't really want to run any faster than that.

What's out there that would be a good choice, or is the castle creation set up going to be the best. I have read some bad reviews on them but I was reading older post. Are they a good product still?

Thank guys,
    Luke

i've heard lots of excellent stuff about the new castle products and the 1/8 scale setup would work best but not too sure you can get the 1/10 setup, castle has come out with lots of new stuff in the last few months
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    What do you guys know about this http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezbrposycoc1.html would the revo hit 40 mph, Would this motor be fater then the twin titans?it says it does 70 on the video but that must be Kmh. Are these good motors.

Or this one, http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezbrposycoc4.html
    Last edited by Ldoeling; 02-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Avoid the EZrun escs, go for the XErun blue versions instead.

What speed were you looking to do exactly- 4s lipo & 40mph go hand in hand, but to go much faster you would need higher voltage ideally, especially with a ~10lb truck.

The MambaMonster ( MMM ) & 2200kv motor is ideal for the erevo ( hence why it's used for BL edition erevo & emaxx ), can be had for $250-270 if you shop around. If you can find the HobbyWing XErun 150amp esc and 2000kv motor instock somewhere, that is very close to the MMM setup in terms of power & speed, or for a cheaper option the XErun 80amp esc and 2200/2250kv motor- 4s lipo max with that option but it's still pretty solid and performs well when geared sensibly. $200 & 140 respectively for those 2 systems.

Otherwise, there are other options around:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...shless-systems

MMPro & 2650kv motor on 4s would work too if you wanted a cheaper castle system- there are a great many options out there, but it helps to know your budget and real desires for the setup in terms of speed and likely uses/terrain it will see. Dont forget to factor in some suitable lipos & charger.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    I have the Ezrun ESC and motor combo. I believe the xerun is newer... but if you can get the Ezrun combo 150 A for good money in my experience you do not have to hestitate to enter the brushworld for less money..
    I have never had any problem what so ever with my ezrun for now 18 months .. not saying that the Xerun blue series has not improved and sure looks a whole lot better than the older ezrun series
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    I just wanted to start using lipo batteries I use them for all my planes and would like to use them with the revo. Second I would like to get about 10mph faster out of my revo, and maybe some wheelie power!

If the MM is the best I would rather save up and just get the best for the revo, so is the MM that they sell the brushless revo the best fit for the e-revo?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What lipos do you actually have ( that you use in your planes )- they may not be suitable?

Stock brushed erevo speed is about 30-35mph maybe on a good day with 14 nimhs- if you are just after 40-45mph, then all my previous posts ( all ~2500 of 'em ) should answer your question/offer you some insight into your available options.

MM = Mambamax, no good.
    MMM = MambaMonster , good.

Define best fit- do you mean literally best fit ( as in, fits on the chassis ), or best fit as in the optimum esc?

Like I said before ( please read the posts people make for you & take the time to digest the info presented, repeating ourselves shouldnt be needed ), the MMM is the system traxxas chose to install on the emaxx and erevo for the Brushless Editions, hence it's deemed the best system in terms of value, performance & afersales support ( that's a big factor to consider ).

There are cheaper options which will also work just fine, but without knowing your budget or what lipos you have already its hard to recommend a specific option- some clue as to your driving style and terrain etc is helpful too.

RC Champion
    the MMM from castle is super and I understand very well why Traxxas chose it over others,,,

hobbywing does not seem to be a well presented company as castle in my experience though service is okay..

when I converted my old brushed erevo I choose hobbywing because thats what my LHS had... never been on traxxas forum then and never heard of CC then .... but it still works fine my hobbywing.... not the same finish as CC but its just as fast and sound great every time I run it....
    if you are on a budget I say hobbywing and use a little more on good batteries.. rather than a CC and lousy batteries
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    I have all 3cell lipo, 2200 mah 25-50c ******** great lipo with crazy power. By best fit I just ment the best combo for the revo, how it mounts and how good the system works on the revo. I just bash do not race but do love speed and power. I was pretty shocked when I got the revo and thought wow this thing has pretty good power for being stock. And I am very happy with the erevo but do want to start using lipo and get away from nimh batts. But was told I would cook my titans if I started running lipo, so I was looking for a good brushless system.

Thanks for your info!

RC Competitor
    Witch hobbywing system did you get? I think they sell like four different set up's for the erevo. And what kind of speed did you get out of your revo?

I think they look nice, glad yours is working good.

Thanks again

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your lipos are no good for the erevo, they are much too small capacity. Its said often enough that a guideline spec would be 30-40c 5000mah- the 35/70c **** packs would be great, or the 45/90c ones even better, but really for normal ~40mph gearing 30-40c would be more than fine. Capacity is very important though & goes hand in hand with the C rating, I wouldnt use less than 4500mah lipos ever in a 10lb 4x4 MT.

'They' dont sell 4 different systems for any specific truck, it's upto the user to determine the suitability of any given BL system & battery for their vehicle ( hence why people are still asking to this day if the mambamaxx or a single vxl is okay; they arent.. ). Thats why I write tutorials, to answer the obvious questions people have & give some guidance about choosing the right parts- the info is there, just gotta read and understand it:

EREVO FAQ
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the MMM esc for maximum performance:

CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:

USEFUL LINKS

The older EZrun escs had alot of problems with adjusting the timing or other settings via the programmer, the problem being they instantly went up in smoke after being turned on once adjusted. Im gonna assume those issues have been sorted largely these days, but all the same, the XErun escs are more compact and easier to mount- just look at the dimensions and look at your truck, you'll soon figure out if any given esc will fit & work out a way to mount it.

RC Competitor
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m3a.html
    These are the four different set up's that they sell for the e-revo all different in price.

m1A
    M1
    M3A
    m3

All different combo's
    Last edited by Ldoeling; 02-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Where does it say 'made for the erevo' exactly- all it mentions is 1:8 buggy/truggy/monster, and 4 or 6 ( lipo ) cells.

Like I said ( *broken record mode engaged* ), it is upto the end user to determine if any given BL system is suitable for any given truck, for any given speed and purpose. This normally takes years of experience and practice, and alot of money to arrive at a solid setup- these days there are loads of ready-made setups that might be suitable, but it takes some research and abit of math to made certain. Posting 'what am best esc/motor?' threads will only provide you with so much info- you need to go and search for more info yourself- research something before you dive in and you will be alot happier with the results vs just buying something on a whim and discovering it performs poorly. Or read the faq & tutorials pages which cover BL setups & battery choices in more than enough detail I'd have thought...

If you want near-MMM performance, go with the 150amp esc and 4274 2000kv motor.
    If you want a cheaper but still good performing setup, go with the 80amp esc & 4168 2200kv motor.

RC Competitor
    Ok, thank you