RC Racer

Axial beadlock wheels - regular (wide) vs. Narrow

I get the impression everyone gets the AX807X OVERSIZE NARROW ROCKSTER BEAD LOCKS, rather than AX801X 8 HOLE BEAD LOCK or AX804X 8 SPOKE BEAD LOCK WHEEL. In other words, everyone seems to get the narrow rather than wide wheels. Is this for fit (do the wide ones interfere with the a-arms or push rods or body), function (are the narrows better for crawling, wider ones better for bashing) or just appearances?

Thanks
    Don't believe everything you think!

RC Qualifier
    the wider axial beadlocks will rub the a arms creating a slice or cut. This will or could weaken them. The narrow make for more a a wider stance and they less strain on the servos since they are narrower than the regular axial beadlocks. I have ran both but i no longer use my standard axial beadlocks i use the narrows instead.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Enthusiast
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10crlo8&s=7
    Narrow is the way to go with the Axial's they have no problems whats so ever. Not sure if you have installed the beadlocks before? If not I would recommend putting in four screws first, (in a cross pattern.) Tighten them down nice and snug, then move into the star pattern! This will help the screw go in nice and straight!! I would also recommend cutting the foams like in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVb1ZT6ViP0
    I wrapped my AX8071's with Mudslinger tires. Run very true and have not even balanced them yet!

RC Enthusiast
    I have wide on mine currently, the 8-spoke, and they don't rub. Plus they are the same offset as the Geodes so same width also. I wanted to keep a tire as wide and tall as the Canyon's but wanted something that would last a little longer, so in a beadlock it was my only choice. I love them. With Moab's on them, they are they same height as Canyon's and a touch wider. Down side that I see to the wide is tire choice. There are a lot of options for the narrow, not many that are wide enough to properly fit on the wide.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the cutting info.There is too much foam in there for narrow beadlocks.I might try cutting the foam 1/4" to make it fit better.The Trenchers are very close to stock size on the narrow beadlocks,they are 5mm taller and 10mm narrower than the Canyons with much more bite.

RC Racer
    great feed back - as always!
    Don't believe everything you think!

RC Qualifier
    I cut about 1/4" off the width and tapered the area near the beadlocks like the video shows and the Trenchers fit better and look better.There was foam trapped between the bead and wheel even with my efforts to push it back before putting the rings on.Now they are truer and softer.

RC Racer
    I have no idea why you post your VXL on the beach in the Axial thread BUT:

I have installed ProLine Trenchers on Axial Oversized Narrow today/now. At first glance they don't seem to fit cause the foam is so finde. Nevertheless I finished them with the original foam but it was a bit a hassle.

PS: My finger hurt a lot from putting 809234 screws in those beadlocks...

RC Qualifier
    Any finished pics?

I cut off an Allen key and stick it in my cordless drill for all my beadlocks. I do them most of the way with the drill then finish them by hand as not to strip the threads.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxximus Prime View Post
    Any finished pics?

I cut off an Allen key and stick it in my cordless drill for all my beadlocks. I do them most of the way with the drill then finish them by hand as not to strip the threads.
    Do you have to keep the drill at a really low speed to not overheat the plastic?

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Cordless drills on slow setting and I don't hold it wide open. Clutch is set as weak as possible. Saves the fingers because of my 7 sets of beadlocks I own.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Racer

RC poster
    So do we have a conclusion about the oversized or narrow wheels? I just ordered some RC4WD Mud Slingers and am now shopping for wheels. I really like the Axial 8-Hole Oversized wheels but may have to go with the Roxters Narrow if they the 8-Holes rub against the A-arm. I have seen people use the wider wheels though ... How come they rub for some people and not for others?

RC Qualifier
    Mud slingers are kind of narrow on the inside aren't they? I'd go with the rocksters. They might work better. I've got the rocksters and they are great.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Qualifier
    When I first got my mudslingers I also ordered axial 8-spokes which have the same dimensions as the 8-holes. I test fit the combo and didn't like how it stretched the sidewalls out so sent them back and got narrow rocksters. I think that there are a couple of pictures of guys that have the mudslinger-narrow rockster combo in the picture archieve.

RC poster
    Everyone seems to be using the Rocksters except this guy:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...8.26-quot-tall

Post # 4, 5, 6.

I think that combo looks pretty cool. But again, I'm not sure if he has any other mods or he has learned to live with the rubbing.
    Big Yellow Summit

RC Qualifier
    I have been running the narrow with the Trenchers for a couple weeks and they are great.I plugged the holes before I assembled them and it is nice not to worry about getting water in them from the snow.I will keep the stockers open for crawling as they work great for that.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by b@3 View Post
    When I first got my mudslingers I also ordered axial 8-spokes which have the same dimensions as the 8-holes. I test fit the combo and didn't like how it stretched the sidewalls out so sent them back and got narrow rocksters. I think that there are a couple of pictures of guys that have the mudslinger-narrow rockster combo in the picture archieve.
    When you tried the 8-spokes, did they rub against the a-arm? I don't mind the stretching as long as it doesn't damage the tire. They look good. I like the wider tires than the narrow looks.
    Big Yellow Summit

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igore View Post
    I have been running the narrow with the Trenchers for a couple weeks and they are great.I plugged the holes before I assembled them and it is nice not to worry about getting water in them from the snow.I will keep the stockers open for crawling as they work great for that.
    I'm assuming that the hole is there to let out air when the tires get squished under load? What is the downside of plugging it? Have you run your truck in water?
    Big Yellow Summit

RC Qualifier
    Yes water and snow and they will not leak unless you puncture them.The only downside is crawling,this requires a real soft tire which is why the Stock ones work so good.The aftermarket tires will take high speed runs without distorting to epic proportions and flying apart.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_blue View Post
    When you tried the 8-spokes, did they rub against the a-arm? I don't mind the stretching as long as it doesn't damage the tire. They look good. I like the wider tires than the narrow looks.
    Sorry I never mounted them on the truck,I just didn't like how they bubbled ballooned the sidewall out like in the pictures above.

RC Enthusiast
    Here are some pics of Moab's on wide 8-spokes. I tried to get some pics showing backspacing difference. They are super close to each other. Sorry about the bad lighting.

They clear the upper arm. This is with me holding it as tight as it will go.

They do contact the tie rod just barely. Enough to take the finish off the corner of the beadlock ring, but that's about it.

To be honest, this is a spot I didn't notice was touching until I went to take these photos. Look at the center of the pic. There is a flat spot where the wheel hits the bottom of the pushrod mounting holes.

They hit more than I originally thought, but not near enough for me to stop running them.

RC poster
    That setup looks hot! Thank you for sharing the pictures iRoll!

I just picked up the Narrow Roxters today and still waiting for the Mud Slingers. Now I'm thinking I should return the Roxters and get the 8-Hole...

How long have you been using this setup? The rubbing doesn't seem bad at all.
    Big Yellow Summit

RC Enthusiast
    hi, i'm new here but just wanted to let you know that i'm running the mudslingers on the black 8 hole rims and they do eat up the a-arm pretty bad. here's a pic but i don't know if you can see the lower a-arm good. i'll try and take a better pic later on. hope this helps.....fyi i love the wide look so i'm willing to deal with the eaten up a-arms and replace them when they go.

RC Enthusiast
    Glad to see a pic of how the Mudslingers fit on the wide wheels. Wanted to order a set but didn't want to use the narrow wheels. I haven't run mine a lot as my rear diff blew shortly after mounting them, and it took the lhs 2 weeks to get parts in. Looks like it still only rubbing on the pushrod mount area for dlg636. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

RC Enthusiast
    here's a pic from the side if you want to see it

RC Qualifier
    I used to run the wide axials but they chewed up my A arms. Sure they look like the clear when you turn the tires. But when your bashing the wheels flex more contacting the A arms. Plus the wide wheels stretch the tires so you didn't have sidewall bite. I'd try to climb thing with the wides at an angle and the beadlock screws were trying to get traction since they stuck out past the sidewall lugs. Here's mine with Slingers and narrow axials.

SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC poster
    Ok, so thats all great information! Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and pictures!! You guys are great!

To summarize, with Mud Slingers, it boils down to form vs. function.

If you want good performance, no rubbing/eating of the A-arms, Narrows are the way to go, but they don't look all that great (in my opinion).

If you want good looks, ok performance, and can live with damaging a few parts - Axial oversized wide wheels is the way to go.

I think I'm going to stick with the Rockster Narrows for the Mud-Slingers for now. And maybe later buy another set of wide wheels and Big-Joes for street use
    Big Yellow Summit