RC Competitor

Variable damping piston kit

I just bought this kit, it has 1,2,3 pistons? What comes stock in the revo 1,2,3?

And due you run one number higher in the rear or keep the numbers the same.

They also come with a small metal thing? What does that do.

I just bash around with med jumping but don't like how I jump off curbs and it bottoms out bad. Will the pistons help that. I don't want to make my shocks really stiff, just looking to make the revo handle quick impacts better. Like when you smack down off a high curb.

Thank you,
    Luke

I believe a common setup is silver springs front, blue springs rear, 70-wt (10) shock oil, #2 pistons and that "small metal thing" installed in the "off-road" position. The metal thing closes two holes, valving them in one direction. That's where the "variable" comes into play IIRC.
    Of course, depending on too many factors to mention, YMMV.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    If it just plugs two holes on the piston then does the kit just make the shocks a little stiffer, like if you used thicker shock oil?

RC Champion
    It will dampen the same as stock, but then the rebound is twices as fast as stock. The oil will flow through 2 holes on compression and through 4 holes on rebound.

RC Competitor
    So most people will benefit from using them?

RC Champion
    It will give you a lot more tuning options. Something like using 60w or 70w oil for dampning and having something like a 40w rebound effect. It is on my list of upgrades to get for my revo 3.3.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, sounds like I will put them on.

RC Competitor
    I installed them, they are nice seems much smoother than stock. I did put #2 piston in front and #3 in back? Is that a normal set up?

RC Champion
    Normal is 2/2, I believe.

RC Competitor
    Stock was 1 in front and 3 in back? Is it best to keep them the same front and back?

RC Champion
    I have the #3's (stiffest smallest holes) in front and rear and 60 F and 70 R. It really doesn't matter as long as it feels right when it lands. I had #2's and it would still bottom out too much on the big ramps. Instead of buying thicker oil... i just changed pistons.