RC poster

Steering servo issue

Was using my traxxas KB edition when the steering locked with it turning to the left, i took off the shell and both the esc and the receiver was flashing red then green so i stripped out the motor and opened the waterproof case that houses the receiver. i unplugged the steering servo from the receiver and the light stopped flashing green/red and went to a solid green, i plugged in the servo again and the light started flashing again does this mean my steering servo has given up the ghost????

if it has do i just buy a replacement traxxas one or replace it with a better quality one?

any help welcomed i obviously dont wanna order a new servo if its somthing else

thanks wallzy

RC Qualifier
    I know this will happen if your servo is binding, it happened to me last week. Disconnect the servo from the steering make sure nothing is tangled up under there and try plugging it back in to the receiver. There's probably more things that can cause this, but this is what happened to me so hope this helps.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC poster
    hi mate just took it all apart again and re connected the servo (that i have stripped out the car incase it needs replacing) and it still done the same nothing was binding on the servo so that rules that out but many thanks for your reply mate

RC poster
    Exact same thing happened to me two days ago. Apparently it's a short that occurs inside the servo, according to people at my track ( we run a Rally spec class). Only solution is replacement, unfortunately. Luckily I was inside the 30 day warranty period so Traxxas is sending me a new one. In the meantime I bought a new one and will use the other one as a spare.

Edit: By exact, I mean word for word EXACT same thing.

When theses servos short out it often causes havoc with the ESC and receiver, no doubt in my mind the servo is your issue.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    thanks for your reply mate at least i know what the issue is and can now look at sourcing a replacement. didnt want to order one and it be something else ive contacted the shop i brought it from but they have not got back to me yet

thanks again

RC Competitor
    Mine is not turning to the left all the way but perfect to the right ? Checked all servo gears all is fine tried one hooked up same thing then just hooked up the other one same deal, switched wires in the box same thing? I still run with it but I won't turn that well to the left . When I had the servos out they seemed to work ok under no load. Could this be the radio or is it a bad servo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldoeling View Post
    Mine is not turning to the left all the way but perfect to the right ? Checked all servo gears all is fine tried one hooked up same thing then just hooked up the other one same deal, switched wires in the box same thing? I still run with it but I won't turn that well to the left . When I had the servos out they seemed to work ok under no load. Could this be the radio or is it a bad servo.
    If the servo works under no load the it wouldn't be the radio. Check your knuckles for binding. You can disconnect the servo and move the steering by hand to see
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Competitor
    I had something silmilar happen yesterday. I was running my 5th pack of the day on the KB Rally when all of a sudden, the steering went to the far left and stopped. I didn't even have throttle. I thought that was weird. I took the body off and noticed that the esc was flashing. I unplugged the battery and then plugged back in. I had throttle and when I moved the steering it moved the first time and then stopped again. Just seems really weird. Not sure what to check.
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC Champion
    Mine did the same in my Fiesta, then the ESC went poof shortly there after!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    Had this happen last weekend. Gears are good, position-pot is good, motor spins so long as it can really wind up, but shorts out in small increments. Swear these things are all equipped with little time-bombs in them.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    We had a Summit come into the shop I work at with the same problem, luckily Traxxas is sending a new servo for that one too!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    Fwiw, if you buy a new servo from an eBay chop shop to save a few bucks, and it dies after a couple weeks, it's not covered under the 30 day warranty from Traxxas. It is elegible for their $15 + $5 replacement policy, tho...
    The prototype project.

RC Racer
    I went through 2 servos on my KB before switching to a Hitec servo, but never had any problems with my mini summit or mini e-revo servo's