RC Competitor

Just the facts please..

Hey everyone-

Im new here but by no means new to RC- 20yr vet . anyway, looking at the summit vxl 16th scale. Im trying not to make a 300.00 decision w/o some informed feedback. So on to it....

1) My intentions are VXL w/ 2 3s Lipos. Is that too much? Will i end up blowing DriveShafts etc? Is anyone doing that?

2) Can anyone speak to reliability? I have a Losi mini-LST2 (i know its junk).. but its been fun although very unreliable- Driveshaft components break often.

3) Are there a significant amount of electrical issuess- I read a few posts about the ESC.. I dont want to do the dance w/ Traxxas with retuning a constant stream of defective electronics.

I think thats good enough for now- I'm anxiously looking forward to your responses.

thanks!!

RC Qualifier
    well you might haft to face the esc issue maybe not. the 2 3s lipos will wreck havok on anything if you slam the throttle down alot! And motor temps also will go up because your throwing the max volts at it. IMO i would do 2s but thats just me. And as far as durability traxxas has got you covered i gauruntee that! I have not had Durability issues with any traxxas vehicle i ever owned and i owned a bunch!!!
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Competitor
    I've had no issues with my esc but driveshafts on the other hand I've had to replace 3 of 4 the merv axles work as replacements. I just received my gpm axles today I won't have issues with them anymore
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T

RC Qualifier
    I havnt had this axle issue what you running through yours mike

RC Competitor
    single 2200mah 2s lipo I've had two pins snap in half and one the casing blew out so the pin popped out of one side
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T

RC Racer
    I run 3s only. I busted 3 shafts as well, other than that the truck has been great. I also geared my truck down. When you say 2 3s you mean in parallel right? Because the system can not handle anything over 3s. As far as the esc having issues its hit and miss, I had issues with mine and adjusted my throttle trim a little and it has been working just fine for me. If your gonna run 3s upgrade your drive shafts, other than that its a great little truck.

RC Competitor
    Awesome!! Thanks for all the responses..

Yes Penz, in parallel. I tell you what, i'd rather know that i can just upgrade driveshafts and be done with it then have to go through the diff and axel stuff that the LST has put me through!!

When they talk about that 40mph top speed, are they talking about 2 NiHm's or 2 Lipos?

Please watch the Language
    -ksb41379
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-27-2011 at 07:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I only run 3S with a 14T pinion in my mini summit and a 16T pinion in my Wifes mini summit with the tranny gears flipped. Stock tires on both. Temps are good. Only got 3 runs on my truck and 6 on my Wifes before both ESC's died. Now I have no working mini summits. $600 of mini summits sitting on the shelf. ESC's are on there way to traxxas.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Competitor
    Two stock nihm batteries
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T

RC Competitor
    [QUOTEPlease watch the Language
    -ksb41379
    [/QUOTE]

Oh wow, didnt mean for that to happen.. Sorry!

RC Racer
    1) I have only run a single 2S lipo in both of my Summit VXLs. I have twisted two rear drive shafts (one inner, one outer). I personally feel like it runs great in the 2S range, and the 3S was just a bit too much (just my opinion).

2) Other than the driveshaft issues (both happened in 50+ degree weather, in grass oddly enough) both of mine have been quite durable. I've got one setup as a stock runner for just track running, or parking lot bashing. The other is setup with locked diffs and flipped tranny gears for lower speed, higher torque woods driving. I have broken front A-Arms on BIG jumps (4+ feet in the air, landing...well, not great). I've probably got 15-20 packs through them though, and really don't have many complaints on durability.

3) Both of my trucks came with sketchy ESCs. There wasn't much dancing with Traxxas though. Call, explain the issue, send in the ESCs, and you have the new ones in a week. I've also seen a few threads where guys have had no issues with the ESC.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    I run 3s only. I busted 3 shafts as well, other than that the truck has been great. I also geared my truck down. When you say 2 3s you mean in parallel right? Because the system can not handle anything over 3s. As far as the esc having issues its hit and miss, I had issues with mine and adjusted my throttle trim a little and it has been working just fine for me. If your gonna run 3s upgrade your drive shafts, other than that its a great little truck.
    Can you put 2 2s Lipo's in a series? or is that too much still?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stussy2871 View Post
    Can you put 2 2s Lipo's in a series? or is that too much still?
    yes too mcuh because that means you will be running 4s and then your motor and esc will be damaged or shut down. Get the parallel connector for double runtimes. you can run stock in series!

RC Racer
    Just my opinion here... But it seems like you're wanting to do way too much with that small of platform. Maybe your hard-earned cash would be better spent on a 'Pede 4x4 or a full sized Revo/Summit.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.