Thread: Dirt Tires

RC Racer

Dirt Tires

What are the cheapest dirt tire and rim set for the 1/16 e revo. I like the traxxas Response Pro wheels but they are so expensive for such small wheels. I run on a dirt track.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas 7171 dish wheels and proline dirt hawgs are what I run and I LOVE them.

RC Racer
    do the dirt hawgs do good in dirt and do they wear fast in the street like the stock tires

RC Qualifier
    they do awesome in dirt, and sont really show much for signs of wear from runnin on the pavement.

RC Racer
    ok. i was looking back at some old tires i owned and i have some brand new dirt hawgs. I only have two so i would buy some rims and put them on the rear of my car.. these tires are bigger than the stock ones and i would be running stock tires on the front and dirt hawgs on the back.. Would that be ok because the tires are different sizes so the front would be pulling faster than the rear?????

RC Qualifier
    I would not do it myself, would most likely make the car handle really wierd. you well have to gear down with a the dirt hawgs a little bit to compensate for there larger dia.

RC Racer
    so how do you gear down. do you have to buy anything???

RC Qualifier
    yes, a smaller pinion or bigger spur

RC Racer
    whitch did you do.. and also do you have a link for it??
    Thanks for all your help by the way

RC Qualifier
    you can do either, I run a 55t spur and 23t pinion or 20t pinion, look at the owners manual and parts diagram, they will show you everything, it is a very useful tool.

run the same tires on all 4 corners... it is a 4x4, and doesnt have different front and rear ratios

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if this is true on the 1/16 trucks but the 1/10 response tires have a short life, they're like the lightest tire around and have great grip but short life, sounds like a pure-bread racing tire

RC Racer
    what spur size would i have to run with the dirt hawgs. is it 55 tooth and 23 tooth pinoin or just 55 tooth spur with stock pinion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    I run a 55t spur and 23t pinion or 20t pinion
    20-23 teeth pinion

putting a 55 tooth spur with a 23 tooth pinion is pretty much the same as a 50 tooth spur and 28 tooth pinion.... just an example, but that erally isnt helping anything.... the final drive ends up around the same.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    putting a 55 tooth spur with a 23 tooth pinion is pretty much the same as a 50 tooth spur and 28 tooth pinion.... just an example, but that erally isnt helping anything.... the final drive ends up around the same.....
    Completely incorrect my friend. a 55t spur and a 23t pinion results in a final gear ratio of 12.05. the final gear ratio of a 50t spur and 28t pinion is 9.00. which is a HUGE difference. Just looked in the traxxas manual on that.

RC Racer
    so your saying if i got dirt hawgs i wouldnt have to change the gearing of my car.. if i do and only want to change my spur so what would i have to change it to while leaving the pinoin gear stock.. whitch i bellive is 28 tooth

Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    Completely incorrect my friend. a 55t spur and a 23t pinion results in a final gear ratio of 12.05. the final gear ratio of a 50t spur and 28t pinion is 9.00. which is a HUGE difference. Just looked in the traxxas manual on that.
    that is why i said as an example (numbers were pulled out at random to illustrate a point)... i was using it to illustrate a point....... people that are using a 23 tooth pinion on a 55 spur as opposed to say a 28 tooth pinion on a 50 tooth spur are assuming since the teeth count went down on the pinion they are fine....