Thread: Running hot

RC poster

Running hot

Hi,

Just got my Gymkhana this week in Australia (from Tower).

I bought a second (standard) battery and the serial connector.

This thing runs abnormally hot with 1 battery or 2 (not that it should make a difference).

I also bought Lipos but haven't been game to run them.

Anyway, I have only run the car 4 times, first run was fine, 2nd run it auto shut off I imagine due to over heat because the motor and ESC was unbearable to touch.

3rd time I ran it (earlier today) it shutdown again, very hot motor and ESC again.

I just ran for a 4th time and this time it caught fire. Well, it got hot enough to melt the solder between the batteries and they pretty much just SMOKED out and burned themselves out of the model.

Anyone else have this problem? I have an EBRE and run it a lot harder than this thing and never had any probs.

Runs never last more that 15 mins before shut off.

Here's a couple pics of batteries and the melted solder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58611700@N02/5377508188/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58611700@N02/5377508216/

RC Champion
    ok did you use the high speed gear while running 2 packs. also is anything binding.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC poster
    No I didn't, but if that's what the problem is, then whoops, I have cooked my ESC. I thought the HS gear was only for Lipos? Silly me assumed running 2 batteries in serial only adds run time but doesn't change voltage etc? Oh well.

Anyway, I plugged in a Lipo tonight, held down for 10 seconds to turn to LV mode .. without applying any acceleration the ESC starts to cook immediately. It is quite warm within about 30 seconds - no wonder it starts to boil once I was driving it.

I'd say my wraith of an ESC just sucked the life out of those batteries.

RC Champion
    in series it doubles the volts but in parallel it doubles the run time.

RC poster
    Ahh thanks. I bought both, I'm just using the wrong one. I should have noticed it went a butt load faster ..

Ok well, off to the Castle Sidewinder shop!

RC Qualifier
    I believe that your not suppose to use the high speed pinion when using lipo or 2 nihm.. The one stock has less teeth then the other one

RC poster
    Well if my KB didn't have an issue, then I would warn others against using this set up:

Series connector
    Two Traxxas 1200MAH batteries
    Stock Pinion Gear

It will make your ESC fry and both batteries burn up.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by _jono_ View Post
    I believe that your not suppose to use the high speed pinion when using lipo or 2 nihm.. The one stock has less teeth then the other one
    the extra one is the speed pinion and it has less teeth. i have used the stock one on speed runs but heat will build up quick if you keep stopping and starting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Running the series connector is only for short speed runs... not for every day running. The car does have heat issues with just one battery though. It benefits greatly from a motor heat sink and some venting or a hood scoop in the body.

Your ESC is fried, you know that... but if your ESC got hot enough to fry, my bet is that the motor was certainly overheated and is also likely ruined. If you dont replace the motor as well as the ESC the motor will continue to overheat very quickly and eventually the magnets will crack.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a Sidewinder and a new motor, not sure how it will fit though, I'll see when it gets here. I will run the old one if it still works.

Should have a warning on the pack for noobs "Don't put 2 batteries in this product or it will burn". I guess I just expected it not to catch fire unless I had hacked something up / changed it from stock. The thing says you can go "faster" with series connector and extra battery, but doesn't warn in the same sentence that it will blow up.

$180 later - lesson learned.

It does warn about it in the manual... but you gotta read it all...

If the motor you bought came with the sidewinder combo it wont fit with the stock motor mount unless you do some modifications. Traxxas now makes a big block motor mount that works with 1/10 motors but its not availiable to order on its own yet. Another company called Tenbol makes a big block motor mount also... but its pricey.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Oh boy. Just got home with mine. Guess I will have to vent that body before I try to run it.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I dont understand how these esc's are so weak? My new racing bud runs 3s in an older merv. He has a fan on the motor and esc just like I did on my rally. He has over 200 3s packs on his esc. I just installed my second (first 1 fried quickly also on 3s w/fan) esc(with fan) in my rally and it fried within 2 min, stock gearing. Put his esc in mine and ran 3 3s packs right after another with no problems or overheating? Seems as though the first mini escs that came out were built better. I will NEVER use these esc's again because something has changed. They should not be rated any higher than 2s or 6 cell, period.

RC Racer
    Wow, just running this thing in my basement for a few minutes got this thing too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. This is with just the single stock battery. Gonna have to modify this body and gent some airflow in there.

Airflow is a big issue. I think the big body and the foam bumper that fits so close to the body up front really prevents any airflow at all under the lid. The slash has a big body also, but there are lots of access points for air. Venting the body will make a big difference... but its not a perfect solution. The ESC will still get hot.

I think another problem is that when driving these cars in a drifting style they dont actually get much speed up and therefore not much air flows under hood even with vents. Where the slash and MERV tend to be driving faster, the Rally gets driven at high RPMS but slow vehicle speed. I would imagine, even running a slash around your basement would get the ESC/Motor extremely hot.

Overall though, upgrading the ESC is a great move. That new sidewinder ESC at only $67 is a steal and an upgrade thats well worth it. The stock ESC is worth about $45 on e-bay... so you could upgrade for about $25.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I just may have to look into that. The manual does mention overheating quite often. There was reference to the issue in at least 4 instances. Gonna have to see what I can come up with. Start with venting first.

RC poster
    Traxxas support says:

When running the series connector only run at mid to high speeds on flat pavement. Running this setup off road, driving slowly or unnecessary starting/stopping/reversing can easily damage the ESC.

RC poster
    Just got my KB Rally and also having the same heat issue. Going to try a heatsink motor fan and try to figure out how to mount a small fan for the esc. Venting my body really didn't help mine though..... Running 2s Hyperion 35c 1800mah batts....

RC Enthusiast
    Okay, maybe Im not understanding this correctly. Ive read the entire manual and the instructions that come with the extra pinion, and it says if you run 2 stock nimh in series to use the extra pinion, but only do speed runs without a lot of full throttle bursts and stop and go running, so does that mean if I wanna do a little of everything to use the stock pinion, or does that mean to only use 1 battery for all around running drifting and speed runs. What size pinion would be best for a little of everything on 2 stock nimh?

RC Enthusiast
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAUHP&P=ML
    /
    is this the one your talkin about?
    Any body RC in the south fl area?

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I just ran mine with two stock batteries and didn't run hot or ruin anything?
    Any body RC in the south fl area?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrytron View Post
    Traxxas support says:

When running the series connector only run at mid to high speeds on flat pavement. Running this setup off road, driving slowly or unnecessary starting/stopping/reversing can easily damage the ESC.
    This pretty clearly states how to drive the car with two batteries in series. And the other half of that is using the high speed pinion.

For a little bit of everything running either just use 1 nimh, use lipos, or get a mmp combo from castle that you can run two nimh in series all day long.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Competitor
    My motor get to be about 145 degrees after a 8 minute run drifting on a large carpet oval using ******* 2 cell 1300mAh lipos. I wouldn't want it any hotter than that. Who makes a good heat sink for the motor?
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC Competitor
    I found an Integy Super Heat Sink Cooling Fan made for the rally car. It is a motor heatsink assembly with attached fan and BEC connector and BEC pigtail. My question is does the BEC directly get plugged into the receiver or does it hook up a different way. Does anyone have any experience with this product?
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC Enthusiast
    cooling fans or heat sinks will only work when using thermal adhesives to transfer heat. This is used in computers http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    1/16 Rally and 1/16 Summit

RC Enthusiast
    by the way artic silver available at radio shack in USA
    1/16 Rally and 1/16 Summit

RC Competitor
    I went ahead and ordered one of the Integy Heat Sinks with fan. We will see how it does I'm sure it can't hurt any.
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit