RC poster

Driveshaft shifting forward and backward on splines

Hey guys. I just got my new 4x4 and was inspecting everything and noticed that the drive shaft shifts forward and backwards on the splines and has a lot of clearance instead of completely sliding on to both the front and rear spindle. Is this normal and does anyone know why it would not be a longer drive shaft that pushed further up on the splines?
    Revo 3.3
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Its so the chassis can flex without pinching and bending the shaft. I felt mine had way too much movement so I took about a 2mm piece of shrink wrap and slid it over one of the splines, then shrunk it on. This removed much of the slop. I still feel theres too much so I may do the same thing to the other end next time I have the truck apart.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Good to know it isnt just me. I know I am kind of a particular person, but was surprised to see so much movement.

Great Idea on the shrink wrap....I may try that out.
    Revo 3.3
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    yeah I was kind of shocked at that also.. I was thinking about some o-rings to reduce the travel and quite the metal to metal slapping sound but sw is a better idea. thx

RC Qualifier
    I shrink wrapped mine into place while leaving 1/4 inch of room for it to move. the shrink wrap will move if needed. Its amazing how much more quiet the truck is without that thing slopping around.