RC poster

Thumbs up Stampede 4x4 VXL Impressions

I just wanted to say I have owned numerous R/C vehicles in the past from all out racing trucks and buggies from AE and Losi, to 1/8 scale nitro buggies, E-Maxx, etc. and so far the Stampede 4x4 VXL is hands down the most fun R/C I have owned to date.

It is quite incredible really. 4x4, brushless, barely even 4 lbs, waterproof, super simple to operate. It was quite a shock to take the stampede out of the box and drive it even on the street. ULTRA stable. It was quite strange to be able to take full left or right turns at 25+ MPH without flipping over and under such precise control. Full speed runs are very stable and controllable. On dirt, the back end breaks loose under throttle just enough to easily powerslide through turns with minimal effort. The jumps with this thing are astoundingly flat and stable, the weight balance is perfect. The shocks and oil weights are dialed in. Traxxas was really on their "A" game when the built this thing. This thing really does remind me of a mini ATV. It is a go anywhere, do anything machine that is light weight, nimble, FAST, and in my opinion the perfect size. Not too big, not too small. Kudos to Traxxas for building this machine. I'm buying another! Just Fantastic.

RC Racer
    yup its badass

RC Qualifier
    ....Disco!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC poster
    The Stampede 4x4 is my first RC vehicle in 15 years. I think I made the right choice spending thew extra dough and getting the 4x4 over the XL-5.

RC Racer
    I also have had all of the Traxxas Trucks Revos 2.5 and 3.3,T-maxxes, S-maxx, Jato 2.5 & 3.3, Rustler Vxl!
    All the other trucks I've had are my first was the AE rc10gt nitro, tc3,tc4,tc4 converted to brushless, ofna mutilator, duratrax evader, losi xxx-nt, serpent 1/8 999, and i would trade all of them for this little 4x4 pede I didn't think it would be much when I heard about it I just thought it would be a another Slash type of thing but its so much more fun and it can clime like its stuck to the wall. lol and i think I'm going to get another 2 maybe 3, 1 for both of my boys and another one to make the opposite of this one!

RC Competitor
    Hands down it is my favorite truck i have owned so far. My slash 4x4 is great but the pede 4x4 can pretty much go anywhere and do anything.
    pede 4x4, mrev vxl, slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Enthusiast
    I have, and have had, a wide range of RC cars and trucks. I have to admit that for a long time I wasn't a fan of Traxxas, as I was more into SC truck racing, touring cars and crawlers. But the one thing I really, really wanted was a good basher! Not to "bash" as in abuse by jumping buses or anything, but something 4WD, sturdy and works well on a variety of terrain. Parts availability is important.

I had eyed the Stampede for some time thinking it would be perfect if it were only 4WD. I didn't want the cost or the size, bulk, cost and weight of a Maxx, and wanted more off-road performance than the Revo was generally known for. I thought about getting a Slash 4x4 and trying to "monsterize" it.

But the 'Pede 4x4 came through in the right time. Traxxas did a great job with this one!

RC Enthusiast
    This is my very first ever high grade rc car and im glad i spent the little more money and got the 4x4 stampede. With the snow here in ohio i can go anywhere i want and crawl basically anything with that monster. Have been lucky havent brother anything and Ive bashed it a lot. I would give this truck a 10 out of 10 and tell everyone to buy one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Glad to see another person happy with their 'pede 4x4!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jk12 View Post
    The Stampede 4x4 is my first RC vehicle in 15 years. I think I made the right choice spending thew extra dough and getting the 4x4 over the XL-5.
    i ame the same 14 yrs and i went to I-HOBBY to get a truck and saw the pede4x4 and had to have it now i do and got a slash 4x4 love my traxxas have fun with i do
    stampede vxl 4x4
    slash 4x4
    summit

RC poster
    I would agree. I have had many other cars and trucks and have to say that so far I am very impressed. I have loved my 2x4 for the last year or so and thought it was always the perfect size, but needed the 4 wheel drive. The 4x4 is a super easy truck to drive and maintain as well as carry around. I love my Revo 3.3 but just taking it somewhere can be quite a hassle. I have a small hill in my neighborhood that the 2x4 stampede has always struggled with. Last night, even in the cold weather, the 4x4 just pulled right up it. I can only imagine with a set of badlands on it that it would be a really amazing basher.

Good write up and comments. It helped me make the decision to buy one for myself.
    Revo 3.3
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    I got to drive my pede today for the first time really after tweaking the camber and toe and I opened up the front DIFF box just to look.. there was grease in it! yay for that... So finally got a pack through it and wow.. it's a great machine. The handling and suspension work so well.. at first I thought it was a little too soft but it's almost perfect.. might need to stiffen it up for jumping but I really like the way it drives.... I can tell it's gonna be my favorite truck to drive.

RC Racer
    There is a great article on the stampede vxl 4x4 this month in R/C car action. It even made the cover. They had nothing but good things to say about our stampede 4x4. This is my 4th stampede starting from the old model to the vxl 2wd. This is by far the best truck Ive had.

RC Racer
    Yessiry bob!!! My first real r/c truck and it was well worth the money! This thing is a beautiful beast and as far as the badlands on it!!! Sweeeeeeetttttt 100 percent diff than the talons on dirt, grass, rocks but i still enjoy the talons on the street minus the ballooning but looking for the next street tire setup if anyone has input on wheel tire combo