RC Racer

My Blacked-out Big-Block... Block

Here's my Ken Block Rally with loads of custom work done on it:

HPI XC8 Wheels (3mm offset) and HPI X-Pattern tires for grip!

Yes, that is the stock motor plate!

That's a Castle CM36 4600kV motor with the high-speed pinion. Let's just say it's too much to handle indoors.

I had to remove the slipper clutch spring to keep the nut from rubbing the motor can!

So here's the list so far:
    Mamba Max
    Castle CM36 4600kV motor (540 can size)
    Traxxas toe links and push rods
    Traxxas center diff (good thing to have when you don't have a slipper clutch anymore )
    GPM Shocks and Knuckles
    Ball bearings in rockers and steering block
    HS 82MG servo
    Futaba Radio system
    Dyed chassis, rockers, and springs
    T-Bone skid system
    Driven Productions delrin chassis braces on the front and rear
    Last edited by MaxxWrecker07; 01-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

That thing looks fast just sittingthere.

I am curious how the slipper works without the spring, is it locked down ?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    That thing looks fast just sittingthere.

I am curious how the slipper works without the spring, is it locked down ?
    It's locked and ready to rock! Thanks for the compliment Dadx2mj!
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Racer
    those wheels look cool on the KB..
    Last edited by Tintman; 01-17-2011 at 06:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Forgot to give you all the whole picture!

KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Racer
    I have the Mamba Max & Castle CM36 5700kV motor on my Rally.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintman View Post
    I have the Mamba Max & Castle CM36 5700kV motor on my Rally.
    Have any heat issues? How did you mount the motor? Did you use the Tenbol mounting system?
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Racer
    I used Tenbol for the motor & 31 p, 120 is the hottest so far on the motor & 112 on the Mamba Max.

What tires do u have D Compound or the Radial X-Pattern?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-17-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    yeah a link to tires and wheels would be great. Car looks great. I am waiting on the mustang body.
    Savage Flux 2350 & Pede VXL (3607)

RC Qualifier
    I had 5700kv with mmp in mine. And it was still getting too around 150 geared up.. But to much... Just sold it and bought sidewinder. Its the best thing to do trust me. Big differance

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Congrats, nice car !!!, like the wheel/tires.

RC Competitor
    I'll take your stock tie/push rods if your not keeping them lol I snapped one of mine lol and no one makes green aluminum ones yet lol
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T

RC Competitor
    U will have to let me know when you are gonna run it and Ill prob come check it out when it gets warmer and some of the snow is gone

RC Competitor
    HPI Work XC8
    HPI X-Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by MM_jms493 View Post
    yeah a link to tires and wheels would be great.

RC Champion
    That thing looks BEAST
    Are you running a single 3S Lipo? What spur and pinion combo are you running?
    Thanks
    Last edited by djmaincheese; 01-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    That thing looks BEAST
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintman View Post
    I used Tenbol for the motor & 31 p
    I believe with 45 spur, that motor is rated for not more than 4s.

RC Qualifier
    Mine will be a big block by spring and im going to be using traxxas new big block mounting kit too and see what its like
    Big Block KB
    ERBE Tekin rx8
    MERV Basher

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    That thing looks BEAST
    Thanks
    I'm running the stock spur and the high-speed pinion. I only run 2s. I have not yet run it outside, so I have no idea how well it moves on a long straight run. I can barely get it up to speed before having to slow down in my basement...
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Racer
    That is one sweet set of rims and tires. Nice choice.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    So youve got the Mamba Max mounted inside the battery compartment... like dad has done with his MERV... I like that.

How did you mount the motor? It looks like your using spacers instead of the stock motor mount... Interesting idea. Is it stiff? Really nice looking car man, I bet its just stupid fast.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    So youve got the Mamba Max mounted inside the battery compartment... like dad has done with his MERV... I like that.

How did you mount the motor? It looks like your using spacers instead of the stock motor mount... Interesting idea. Is it stiff? Really nice looking car man, I bet its just stupid fast.
    Yup, it's so stupid fast... it makes me look stupid
    The motor mount is actually quite rigid, and doesn't give me any trouble. The spacers are made of aluminum. The only downfall is that I'm forced to use the high-speed pinion and remove the lower wire cover on the receiver box. I really got lucky the motor fit in there with little modification and just spacers. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting an ARC motor so I can have a bit of room back and keep the power. Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm really enjoying this little car! My Flux is collecting dust!
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Qualifier
    wow thats all ican say
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Qualifier
    Hey MaxxWrecker, I like the spacers a lot more than the tenbol mount, did you make them yourself or buy them? I've had a sidewinder 5700kv combo staring at me for a week now with no way to mount it. I've been waiting for the traxxas parts to become available but am getting anxious...

RC Racer
    I used (2) 3x20mm screws for mounting and the spacers are 1" long with a 1/4" od and a 5/32" id (from my local Ace Hardware store). The washers are needed on both sides of the plate (4 of them total) and they are 0.5mm thick by 8mm od. The id just has to fit the screw. This mod required me to shorted the motor shaft by ~2-4mm, so be prepared for that. The motor is a tight squeeze and requires you to remove the wire cap on the receiver box and well as the spring on the slipper clutch assembly (thus requiring a locked slipper clutch). The plate drilling is a bit tough too, as I ended up with an oblong hole for the screw to move around in. That's the reason for the washers on the outside of the plate. If you're going to do this, I'd have a couple extra plates lying around to practice with... I got lucky and got it right on the first try. The hole created doesn't affect the plate if you decide to go back to the stock motor. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Enthusiast
    Do you have a BEC in there?

RC Racer
    Yes, but I found it to be more of an aggravation than anything. I have the Castle BEC, which has its output set at 6v, and under full throttle, sometimes the receiver cuts out. I know this is a potential issue with futaba receivers, so I'm going to make a glitch buster in hopes it will remedy my problem. I have not been running the BEC since I took the mamba max out (and even before I took it out, I disconnected it and no more problems!) and installed my sidewinder v2. No more glitching. I can't recommend one at the moment. If you have heat issues, or your servo's too slow, then give it a shot, otherwise stick with the internal BEC on the ESC.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the info, that will save me some time and money. I spent HOURS trying to program my mamba max on windows 7 with the software,, couldn't load the drivers at all!!!! Ran it on my mac using parallels on windows xp and worked first time, I set the cutoff at 6v, since I run only 2s lipos, I run a spektrum receiver and I haven't noticed any cutouts yet. I have just ordered 3 of the new sidewinders, with my international voucher for tower worked out at 70 USD each with a 4600, so I'm going to put one in the merv, one in the summit and the other in a fiesta (couldn't resist). I love the fact these run so cool, and the extra punch and flexibility it gives, I'm running the HPI T grip tires, that give me enough traction, but enough predictability to drift as well, I have a gyro so I'm going to try that this week.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I've just cut my chassis, worked out OK, I have a spare if necessary. I don't know if this is new, but I cut out the vents and pushed the power switch from the mamba max through (with difficulty), just have to see how I can stick it, to the vent, going to have to do something with these wires. Will be dying the chassis when the rit arrives, can't believe there is no black clothes dye in Dubai, only purple and amazon green( I'm dying some white wheels as soon as they arrive).

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering if those rims fit the stock KB rally?
    Castle powered Spartan
    KB Gymkhana
    Rustler vxl