Thread: Lipo or not ?

RC Enthusiast

Lipo or not ?

I was wondering what are the benefits of changing over to lipo batteries ? Don't really need any more speed. I have a regular rustler and stampede xl-5s for the kids and then a rustler vxl and a stampede 4x4 vxl for me and the wife. Can I run lipo batteries in all four ? Right now it's nice because they all use the same batteries plus I have a few extras. Will I get longer run times from the lipos ?
    Thanks...

RC Qualifier
    From experience, lipos give you way more run time. Unless you have GOOOD quality NIMH packs but im sure its still the same. The thing that i REALLY like about LiPo batteries is that, throughout the whole run on that battery you HARDLY notice power and performance loss. NiMh (that ive used) start off strong and the performance loss is really noticeable after about 2 minutes. Lipo is strong right up to the time you hit LVC. LiPo can be compatable with your other rigs if you purchase a separate Low Voltage Cut off. NiMh gives more power without load and your speed will be a BIT faster for the first minute or so, then lipo starts really killing the NiMh.
    Last edited by Shadow7g; 01-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.

RC Racer
    charging my first 3s lipo now I will let you know how It goes im just going to be very careful to check temps!!!

RC Qualifier
    If your lipo gets warm while charing you have an issue. Ive never had any of mine go above room temp when charging. Oh, get ready to break the bank on 3s. Thats when you REALLLY start to push this truck past its limits. 3s for me in the pede is really no more fun than 2s which is more controllable.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow7g View Post
    If your lipo gets warm while charing you have an issue. Ive never had any of mine go above room temp when charging. Oh, get ready to break the bank on 3s. Thats when you REALLLY start to push this truck past its limits. 3s for me in the pede is really no more fun than 2s which is more controllable.
    he meant checking them when he was driving not when it was charging.. lol

RC Qualifier
    Oh.. My bad. LOL.. Just figured id clear that up!

RC Racer
    allright well all went fine! WOWWWWW is all I can say! 3s was a lot of crazy fun but the only way you will be ale to keeep the front end down is put weights or something on the front or just stay with nimh or 2s. Next week I plan on purchasing myself a 2s and see if its drivable!!! One thing I can say is have on pack of 3s around if you want to have a lot of people come up and ask what is that haha...this was deff a great first rc truck so far

RC Qualifier
    3s is awesome!, 2s is great..possibly even better in many ways, but if you have a 4x4 you gotta have a 3s in your box! I've labeled myself a professional 3s basher! =) My 4x4 has seen at least 20+ 5250 3s 60c bashing sessions and all I broke was the body @ the rear mounts. Only hopups I have are the alum caster/carriers, the alum bearing adapt, the king headz mount, and the slash bumper (modified a little lower like paveman). It's cold and snowy here but there is plenty of empty lots around my house to slam some rough terrain. I think the 2s will be better for more controlled dirt bashin' in the summer but to plow up and over snow covered dirt mounds my maxamps is a BLAST!
    Good luck pedemon and let us know how it bashes.. BTW.. hope you did the rear carrier mod or the thicker diff! You'll need it on 3s if you want any control!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    By all means, im not scared of 3s. I can control it well.. Its the truck i worry about. Snapping axles isnt fun.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reefpatrol View Post
    I was wondering what are the benefits of changing over to lipo batteries ? Don't really need any more speed. I have a regular rustler and stampede xl-5s for the kids and then a rustler vxl and a stampede 4x4 vxl for me and the wife. Can I run lipo batteries in all four ? Right now it's nice because they all use the same batteries plus I have a few extras. Will I get longer run times from the lipos ?
    Thanks...
    IMHO Lipo has really just about made Nimh obsolete.. the prices are about the same for the batteries and lipo chargers have dropped as well. My first lipo set-up was $45 for a 5000 2s venom and $80 for a nice losi xcelorin charger. No comparison in runtimes or performance..Lipo blows nimh away by far. And like shawdow said..you get full bashing power from start to finish. Also no hot batteries when charged or even when bashed for that matter. I sold a couple of my newer nimh's and charger on fleabay and gave away the rest of my other Nimh after bashing w/ lipo for a couple days! Just put that stage behind me like compact discs or tapes!...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow7g View Post
    By all means, im not scared of 3s. I can control it well.. Its the truck i worry about. Snapping axles isnt fun.
    I snapped an axle once w/ my sons 2x4 on my 3s.. Totally my fault. One wheel was off the ground while the other was stuck in grass. I just held the throttle too long and when the loose wheel caught..."SNAP*!". Since then I thickened up my boys 2x4 diff as well and never had it happen since!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-13-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Thanks man yes this things a maniac with the 3s!!!I did not honestly have problems yet "knock on wood" with control!!!maybee im a natural at understanding wheight transfer on a vehicle lol just kidding!!! Another thing that comes into play with all you snowbirds haha is the slick stuff you guys are driving on, also I noticed how the tires balloon stock and not every tire is balanced EXACTLY the same id imagine. Im going to do the rear fluid swap though because it MAKES SENSE to put a little thicker in the rear with all this power and shortened slash frame to get the full affects of 4wd!!!
    Thanks again guys for all the info on making good r/c decisions

No it is not but with my truck on the first day snapped an axle on a 3000 nimh pack!!!I drove it with the 3s and didnt! So possibly your just goin to have to take that hit everyonce in a while if you want to have a blasty blast!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-13-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I upgraded to the tmaxx 2.5 axles and i dont think ill be having that issue anytime soon ;-)

RC Racer
    Are all you guys running the waterproof maxamps lipos in the snow or is it ok to run plain jane lipos in snow?
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I run venom lipos in the snow.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Definitely LiPo! As was mentioned, NiMH is basically on the way out anyway.

Another advantage of LiPo is that you can run your pack down, immediately put it on a charger, and then immediately start running it again. NiMH was temp sensitive, and after a run you had to let it cool to room temp before charging. Not so with LiPo.

RC Racer
    For some reason my 3400 racers edge 3s 30c lipo is keeping everything cooler than the venom 5000 NimH....and is working beautifully with stock pinion!!! Im always checking the vls-3 and motor for heat issues!!!None yet but im not just abusing the truck im trying to keep a good watch on parts and ALWAYS keeping my eye on cleaning the slipper clutch and bearings and also using traxxas lube

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickTraxxas3 View Post
    Are all you guys running the waterproof maxamps lipos in the snow or is it ok to run plain jane lipos in snow?
    I have a Maxamps 3s and 2 venom 2s's. Never had a problem w/ the venoms. I sealed the point where the cables come out as best I could and immediatly after bashing I blow off the whole car and remove and wipe the battery down. Compressed air is this Bashers new best friend! Keeps things clean and dry!

RC Enthusiast
    im really thinking of buying a set of these which is best and whats a good charger i have pede 4x4 no mods or anything..

also i think im scared everyone keeps burning up there units do these batteries just plug in and play or do i have to change the connectors and such

RC Racer
    keep us informed on how well they work!!!

RC Champion
    yea lipo batteries have always ran cooler for me, i think its due to the battery discharging more evenly.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.