Thread: EZ Start help

RC Competitor

Question EZ Start help

Well my old 4909 is still an awesome beast, but its getting really stubborn to start, even when warmed up.

The EZ start seems to be the culprit, BUT when the glow plug is loosened, it happily turns the motor over with a satisfying Putt-Putt-Putt.

The problem occurs when you want to start the engine - the EZ Start only "grabs" the motor for the first "Putt" or "Putt-Putt" but then spins freely, requiring a release of the button, and waiting for the EZ Start motor to spin down, then trying again.

Of course, the glow plug goes cold so I have to use a separate glow plug igniter tool to even attempt a start.

After much on-off-on-off-on with the Start Button, she will eventually start to get combustion and then eventually fire up.

Since I think the EZ Start electric motor is fine, what part should I look replacing? Something in there is not grabbing enough to fight the compression. I think.

Thanks for the tips!
    IF you've much fuel, you're not driving enough!

RC poster
    Sounds like your one way bearing is slipping on the start shaft. Have you tried taking it out and cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol?

RC Competitor
    *digs through mechanical drawings* Ummm you mean that assembly in the lower right of the Transmission drawing?

Is that part # 5211R ? I guess if the EZ-Start motor is ok, the problem would be around this area.

The EZ-Start motor should spin freely if the motor is truly jammed, but should grip strongly enough to turn the motor over through the compression force reliably, right?

The one-way bearing is supposed to allow the motor to fire up and run without putting any force on the starting gears (which would strip instantly), so its hard to see it as the cause of this problem, but looking at the drawing, what else could it be?

RC Champion
    its the one way bearing.. Its a very common thing to go.. Its considered a maintanance item and needs to be cleaned or replaced occasionally... what you are describing is exactly what happens when they start to slip.. It will get worse and not do anything if you don't take it out and clean/replace it.. depending on the engine its either a 4011 or 5211R bearing..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    Markind... You are sort of correct about the ez start and how it functions.. If the motor is locked up, the ez start won't do anything.. It will just stop and if you continue to try and start the motor, it should pop the thermal switch inside the wand.. The one way bearing allows the starter motor to spin the crankshaft in one direction only... when the motor fires, the bearing just free spins.. hence the name One-way bearing.. its doing what its supposed to do, just slipping on the crankshaft from dirt/oil or wear... replace and be happy

RC Competitor
    Ah ha! That's exactly what I needed. Clean or replace either way I'll have it fixed soon.

Thanks all!

Most times I've seen one way bearing issues you can still here the EZ start motor spinning because the one way is not engaging the crankshaft and will not spin the motor. Otherwise I would say you have excellent pinch left on the engine and it's just not got enough umph to get it turned over.
    This is common with newer engines, many opt for using a glow plug ignitor along with the EZ start. Me I went pull start, I'd rather just carry around a glow ignitor than the bulky EZ start wand. But that's just me.

If you want to test the one way bearing try the glowplug ignitor, if the bearing is faulty the problem will still exist.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Most times I've seen one way bearing issues you can still here the EZ start motor spinning because the one way is not engaging the crankshaft and will not spin the motor. Otherwise I would say you have excellent pinch left on the engine and it's just not got enough umph to get it turned over.
    This is common with newer engines, many opt for using a glow plug ignitor along with the EZ start. Me I went pull start, I'd rather just carry around a glow ignitor than the bulky EZ start wand. But that's just me.

If you want to test the one way bearing try the glowplug ignitor, if the bearing is faulty the problem will still exist.
    You will hear the ez start motor spinning but you won't hear the air coming out of the exhaust.. its pretty easy to tell the difference.. A correctly functioning ez start will turn over any motor that its attached to except one with exceptionally high pinch.. The gear reduction is pretty strong.. If it can't turn it over it will slow to a stop or just not do anything.. Not enough oomph is almost always due to a weak battery.. I use good Nimh or Lipo's.. As a matter of preference, I love the ez start and hate pull starts.. The bulky wand only gets used when I refuel or switch cars.. I never carry it around... Maybe I'm lazy, but the ez start works well for me...

Hey Cen, we both are saying the same thing about the EZ Start. It could be a weak battery too like you said. I've experienced this problem myself. Trying a buddies 7.2v stick would be handy to determine that part for certain.

I just wanted the O.P. to understand if he hears the EZ start spinning then go for the OWB if not go in the other direction cause I doubt if the OWB is grabbing and the motor is not turning over the engine it's not going to be the OWB.

As far as being lazy? No way, it's your preference. Since I race I want as little weight as possible. I can understand the ease of use of the EZ start. It's just an option I threw out there. Pull starts are easy once you get your tune down. If not it can be a real pain. They are the drill instructors of tuning. Wrong tune = blisters between fingers....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    I hear you....and agree with what you are saying.. I'm the first to admit that I am lazy.. I'm also spoiled and don't like messing with these things too much.. I've been doing this stuff for years and anything that makes my life easier, I'm all for it.. especially something that works well... I made myself a promise a long time ago... No more blisters... Thankfully I can tune an engine as well.. touch the button and the engine fires right over... You are right about the pull starters being the drill instructors or tuning.. I like that line.. its the truth.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

A pull starter still uses an OWB. It will not fix the fact that the OWB is slipping. I have OWBs slip with a pull starter.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Champion
    I'm getting a new TRX 3.3 (should be in soon), and was wondering how much pinch they have when new. I want to know whether to install my EZ Start assembly (at least for break-in), or install the pull start that I have. If the compression will make it hard to use the pull start, but the EZ Start will work, then the EZ Start would be the way to go. But if the engine comes with so much compression where the EZ Start wouldn't work, then I would have to use the pull start. The best scenario would be that it doesn't come with that much compression and I could install the pull start and not have trouble using it. What do you guys think, how strong was the resistance when your 3.3 was new?
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

RC poster
    hey petox, on installing your new 3.3 id go with the ez start personally. especially for the break-in. if you break traxxas motors in per their instructions they are so slobbering rich you would hate that truck before you ever get the few tanks done for break-in. if you chose to go the heat cycle method of break-in then it might not matter either way. i've had several 3.3 t maxx's new that i had to break-in motors on and never found any trouble doing it according to traxxas's method. the only problem is the motor would periodicaly hydrolock during break-in cause of the extreme rich settings, not a problem just keep a glowplug wrench handy loosen the plug a turn spin over motor a few times tighten and restart hope this maybe helps you out. there is another option you could go if you dont want or dont trust the ez start and dont want the pull start, you could go with an ofna rotor start. they make them specificaly for the 2.5 3.3 engines. save mass weight and room over the ez start and no yanking like the pull start. my bro-in-law and i use to use them when we raced monster truck class several years ago and i loved them.

RC poster
    I had to loosen the glow plug a tick the first couple of tanks as I was afraid I was going the snap the pull start. You could probably use either, whatever your preference being, and they would work fine. Just loosen the plug a tad to get it started and tighten it back up once it's running.

RC Competitor
    Sue me for digging up an old thread, BUT!! I got the beast out of storage, totally went over the entire thing, clean clean clean, then I pulled the motor <sigh, again> and disassembled the Easy Start system. Cleaned and lubed, except for the one-way bearing, which I soaked in alcohol, brushed and blew it out with compressed air. Clean!

Threw everything back together, and took it out (with the manual - as I have forgotten everything!) to a big lonely soccer field with my son Ray. It started right up INSTANTLY!! WOOT! We drove out our last dregs of fuel and burned out our last glow plug and had a good time.

This was the first time we took out this beast on a wide open large expanse of cut grass field. Wow, what a missile! Once the beast shifts, its in warp drive and any steering will probably result in a nasty tumble, so we just held it straight and kept all 4 wheels on the ground. Still - "yikes!" Quite possible it hit its 45 mph advertized speed. Yowza!

This ancient 4909 still kicks ! Luv it! Gotta shop for more fuel and glow plugs...
    Last edited by Double G; 09-10-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: language