RC poster

Short course vs. Trophy Truck

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes.
    What is the difference between a Short Course truck and a Trophy Truck?

RC poster
    from what I have seen Trophy trucks are thinner and 4x4. Not sure of any others.

RC Qualifier
    Trophy trucks are for more open, long, desert racing. Short course trucks are as the name implies, for short circuits.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC poster
    Their is a huge difference between the two. Trophy Trucks have 30+inches of wheel travel while short course trucks have 20" rear and 18" front. Their are more differences between the two but that's one i can think of.

RC Competitor
    Ive always wondered that too... this explains it pretty good http://www.prerunnermaniac.com/Preru...-Different.php

RC poster
    Hi,
    There is a very huge difference between both as
    in their tyres( trophy truck has bigger tyres)
    in purpose of racing( trophy truck are used in desert racing and open and long racing as well)
    Dwayn

RC Competitor
    Think of this: You see a lot of Trophy Trucks in the Baja California Race. You see the Short-Course in the TORC racing. I am pretty sure the Short-Course trucks are 2wd. I don't know if both are, though.
    IfAtFirstYouDon'tSucceedSkyDivingIsNotForYou

RC Qualifier
    actually both trophy trucks and short course can be either 2wd or 4wd. the best way to think of the difference of the two is this: short course trucks (as teh name implies) race on a short course circuit (on a track of some sort) and like nascar, they have a pit area that they can come in and do a tire change, refuel, etc.... a trophy truck is designed and built to race in the open desert and be self sufficient if need be until they meet up with their mobile pit. so they carry oil, some extra fuel, floor jack, spare tires, a lot of lights, etc...

RC Enthusiast
    I like the TORC stuff the best, short course is alot more entertaining because of the distance reason

RC poster
    Okay i had to make an account to correct you guys. Trophy Trucks are unlimited everything. Short course sort of unlimited but not in every aspect. Trophy Trucks race in the desert. Short Course is in a man made track. Trophy Trucks do have an average of 24in of travel in the front and 30+in in the rear. Short Course is limited to 18in front 20in rear in their most expensive class just like Beef-slash4x4 said. Both trophy trucks and short course can either be 2 or 4 wheel drive. Trophy trucks are mainly 2 because of the insane wheel travel binding the axles in 4x4. Short Course has both a 2wd and 4x4 class so they do have both. Sorry to bore you guys but i know what im talking about. Ive been in the in and around the sport since i was 5, that was 12 years ago.

RC poster
    I recently bought the Slash 4x4 and must say what a great investment and and awsome blast to run,I recently up-graded to a Pro-line Trophy Truck body and along with the origional both painted and striped both are awsome looking,also a pro-line preformance shock and tire up-grade and a full custom chrome plated roll cage with matchin front and rear bumpers,skid plate and driver Bad ***!!!

RC poster
    Some key differences are hp, suspension travel, cage, wheelbase, weight, etc. Short course trucks whether it be pro2 (2wd) or pro4 (4wd) have higher hp than trophy trucks, usually because they run a shorter race than trophy and are on the same level reliability wise because of the shorter race times. Trophy trucks must run sustained high speeds (over 120mph on straight sections) and having an engine on the tipping point of reliability/hp wouldn't be wise so they are detuned compared to short course. Trophy trucks have more suspension travel to handle the un-known roughness of a harsh desert environment and to help handle the extra weight of carrying a passenger, spare tires/wheels, gps and other electronic gadgets to navigate the unknown terrain, etc. Wheelbase is usually longer on TT to make handling better and to hold the extra tools and things they need for a 500-1000mile race. There are some other key differences that I'm forgetting or missing, but there are some basic ones.

RC poster
    trophy trucks are also wider for more high speed stability, have more ground clearance, and are much heavier because they are much bigger, hold 2-3 people, etc.

RC Qualifier
    I love trophy trucks and really any other truck. Here is a visual difference
    Short course truck;

Trophy truck;
    another sweet trophy truck pic.

Trophy trucks have a lot more travel because they are ment for 4 foot woop sections at 60 + mph and places like the Baja 1000 or the mint 400 where you are consistently driving for 24+ hours. and short course trucks are ment for jumps and shorter racing courses and drive for like 30 minutes.

RC Competitor
    I think biggest difference is Trophy trucks are built like tanks.
    Most everything is bigger, heavier, and just all around gnarlier.

Short course trucks are lighter and sportier, but not setup to handle the punishment of the open desert.