Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

My Dewalt 14.4 install

The Dewalt 14.4v Motor is in! Its larger than the titan but not much larger.

I quickly wrapped it up with Green Painters tape to protect it from dust or dirt got my dremel and some cut off disks and began cutting the pinion, I tried what others suggested and make two cuts on on top and one at the bottom and pry it open with a screw driver. but my cutting discs are large and i wasnt able to get close enough to the base of the motor, So I cut it sideways down the axle, this also was good as it began to smooth the one side of the shaft., after about 3/4 i was able to pry it open and then the entire pinion slid off easily.

Enlarging the screw holes in the Motor Mount took longer than i expected but, I was really trying not to rush it. so I just kept at it and it fit well.

I have a spare titan with and i removed the connectors from it and soldered them onto the brushes tab from the dewalt. I find the Solder used by Traxxas is very strong and has a high melting point. not sure what kind of solder this is (anyone know) the solder i have melts much faster and doesnt grab nearly as well.

Motor installed fine, I played with the gear mesh. tried to set the gear mesh by sound instead of paper. and its working well. Im using the stock 14pt pinion and 68 spur for now. I didnt need to add any spacers to the dewalt to make it work. I have some MPI Pinions with a higher tooth count but i dont think i could mount them on the dewalt without adding a 1/8" or more spacer so that it would align with the spur,

Didnt really get a chance to run it yet. when i tried very briefly i could hear the clutch slipping. so i gave it a quarter turn more.. i will try her out tomorrow and see
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    Suggest you replace the short factory hex screw in the picture, with a longer one. 4mm X16mm I believe fits. The Dewalt is a heavy motor and puts lots of stress on the short screw. The longer one goes deep into the mount for much more strength. Lesson learned the hard way.

RC Qualifier
    top work. great photos
    erevo, ubuntu.com

Simple trick to align the pinion to the spur- put the pinion on backwards.Great job, Nice and clean install. Hope you are planning on going lipo - that dewalt will chew through those stock nimh's.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    This morning i took it out for a spin in the snow.
    I couldnt tell much difference in first gear. especially as it was slippery. seemed like stock
    in 2nd gear it was much faster. it gets up to speed probably twice as fast as with titan (using stock gearing)
    much more torque, I dont think its top speed is much different than the titan but its acceleration and much better and it doesn't slow down.. when it gets into something thick.

Issues:

1. Range: at like 100 feet away it starts to get jumpy, I can hear it getting some interference and its not connecting properly with the transmitter (im using 2.4 TRX) , I dont have the capacitors on the Dewalt (like those found on the titan) i heard they are only used to help the motor get started and not to reduce interference so im not sure what to do about it

2. Heat, it seemed hot, the batteries (nimh), esc and motor all seemed quite hot. not sure if changing gearing will change it (14/68)

any suggestions?
    Burlington, ON

the dewalt will always tax those nimh - lipos will provide the needed current easier, the MMM motor heat sink can be squeezed onto the dewalt motor, 18/68 gearing I think is closer to the sweet spot. With my dewalt I used the same capacitors that were on the titan (unsolder then resoldered). Had to scuff up the side of the motor to make the solder stay - then later just taped it on. HELPED A LOT WITH THE RANGE, without the caps my truck would get jumpy just beyond 15 feet. But 2.4 ghz transmitters are much better.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    the motor shaft is slightly shorter than the titan so finding pinions that work is a bit of a challenge (without spacing the motor)
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    The nimh really worked well.. i ran it hard for 30 minutes with two 5100mah packs, after 30m the truck was running strong but my hands froze (kinda cold out), not sure if the cost of upgrading to LIPOs will justify the improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    the dewalt will always tax those nimh - lipos will provide the needed current easier, the MMM motor heat sink can be squeezed onto the dewalt motor, 18/68 gearing I think is closer to the sweet spot. With my dewalt I used the same capacitors that were on the titan (unsolder then resoldered). Had to scuff up the side of the motor to make the solder stay - then later just taped it on. HELPED A LOT WITH THE RANGE, without the caps my truck would get jumpy just beyond 15 feet. But 2.4 ghz transmitters are much better.
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    the small Pico Farad Capacitors ceramic are for noise suppression on Brush motors (its the arcing on brush), not for Buffer use That would be Micro farad or Farad electrolytic caps. would advise you put some on there , before you loose signal . 2.4 or not its still a radio and that motor is pretty close to the RX .

Nice work and great images. I gotta get mine hooked up to see the amp draw on these Dewalts.

BTW do the Motor connectors feel warm after a hard run ?
    I would think about changing those stock ones to something better. even my titan woke up with 4mm gold barrels .

RC Competitor
    i also upgraded to 4mm goldconnectors and lipo's, huuuge difference in power(with stock gearing) !
    but... my motor is bigger then my stock motor(at least i think), i have to check that when i get the chance but i think my Dewalt is about 5mm longer...

RC poster
    Looks nice, I plan on doing this in the future as soon as my Dewalt comes in, since the motor is 14.4v, do you use 7.4v battery packs or can you over volt and use the 8.4v stock nimh? Will that damage the motor at all?

Also I plan on getting Lipo's eventually for my Summit/Dewalt, what is a good discharge rating to use? 30C?
    Last edited by Barandox; 01-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    30C will be fine- 5000mah or a little higher for plenty of runtime ( 30mins + ).

I think the dewalts dont mind being overvolted at all really- they will draw more current as a result but not a massive amount..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    I soldered on the capacitors from the titan (man do i Suck at Soldering) and i swaped in a 17t pinion, had to add over 1/4" of a spacer which doesnt look awesome. didnt get to try it out yet.. was only able to hold it up and spin the tires.. wheels ballooned way more than with the 14t pinion.. will try out tomorrow If i can.

does anyone make a nice spacer?
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    did i Solder my caps to the right part. its going from the copper tab on the brush to the Alum end cover and not directly on the steel can
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    how did you solder to aluminum ? if you did Your very good at soldering amazing

I would have just soldered to the steel can . but yea going from power point to shell of motor should do the trick. to make sure , check continuity from the cap lead (the thin wire coming from it) to the motor can to make sure that solder point on the aluminum is making electrical contact . if you get more caps , you can also add one between the two power points.

found this image on Revo area from Hack_Job might help
    http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/100_3786.jpg
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 01-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.

RC Racer
    you cant solder onto alum?. I just used my dremel and scratched up the surface of each end before soldering..
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    Tried out my truck with 17/68 gearing. definitely faster. and it still wants to wheelie in 2nd gear, once i tightened the slipper a bit more.

I could hear the slipper slipping for about a second before. when i gunned it in 2nd gear

I cant tell if its getting too hot.. since im running in snow, it all gets covered and when i go to touch it. its all barely warm or even cold.. except for the batteries which remain pretty warm
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    I was running it in the snow and i noticed that my front end was jumpy compared to the rear end, , it was pulsating a bit, like it might have been binding it wasnt super obvious but i noticed.. anyone have thoughts about this.. should i be concerned?
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    So the safest bet and keeping it close to stock as possible is to run the 14.4 motor and use one tooth smaller pinion. I have a new Summit as of Saturday so I'll wait till I need a new motor then go the Dewalt route.

RC Qualifier
    Dewalt runs fine with stock gearing. but you can increase pinion size a couple of steps , or reduce spur and get more out of it then a titan can. seems to like gearing ratios in 4 . were the titan likes around 5 .

example 68/14 is 4.857 is more toward 5 works on either . 62/14 is 4.428 more in 4 dewalt loves it .

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the help guys,I put in my Dewalt after water break in and it works great.Started with 14/58 which is 4.142 if I have your math right and it crawls great and is faster than the 775.No hot motor after about 15 min of varied driving.To remove the Dewalt pinion I used a tool called a nut breaker which split it in two with 2 twists of a wrench,nice and clean.Well I did have to tape it up to grind a flat on the shaft.This motor is built heavy duty and I like the way the brushes pop out for soldering.The Kershaw HO I pulled out was fast but had no bottom end torque like the Dewalt so it will be my spare.

RC Qualifier
    about 3 packs you should see a little more power , mine woke up at about pack 3 , and started to spin tires like crazy. but i did not use water Break in. just gave it princess treatment the first pack. That's good to know on 4.142 ratio , yea thats the math. ill have to find 58 to try, sounds interesting Thanks for sharing that . motor must be almost touching the Esc Fins . I know mine is pretty close. my positive wires barely squeak by. automotive Nut cracker , dang thats a great idea.

RC Qualifier
    Plenty of room for the ESC.My only problem is the spur gears [Traxxas] seem to be offset different from the stock 68 and my plastic gear cover rubs because the gear is 1mm more to the rear.If you stick a straight edge over the laying down flat gear.The part that the slipper inserts into is right near the surface on the 58 & 56 and it is further away on the 68 almost like the difference between 0 offset and negative offset wheels.I do not know why the 68 is a deep dish yet all are listed as option parts for the Summit.The only way I could run it with the cover on was by taking off the steel slipper plate and running the pads against the aluminum which actually worked better with the stock crappy pads.I just tested my ceramic/composite slipper pad on the Hot racing slipper and it works great and the spring tension is way back and it slips about 18" and pulls a wheelie over and over without heating the spur.The aluminum plate nearest the transmission is hot.

RC Qualifier
    odd on offset . the 62 had the 3 hole recess like the 68 . No 58 or 56 here. so i have to order .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    odd on offset . the 62 had the 3 hole recess like the 68 . No 58 or 56 here. so i have to order .
    Good to hear that I am still waiting for my 62.I did read somewhere that the 62,65 and 68 were for the Summit but the hobby shop said they are all the same [ NOT!! ].I just ran a pack through at 17/68 and it ran a little hotter than 14/58 and still too fast for the stock tires.For $29 this Dewalt motor rocks.By the way it is 77gm more than my stock motor.

RC Racer
    I use a 22 tooth Kershaw Designs Pinion 68 spur on my e-maxx, and I have no capacitors, no problems at all so far. No radio issues, it doesn't get hot, but I have not ran it on a hot day yet. It may be getting hot because the motor has to work harder with a smaller pinion? Not sure. But these motors have no problems getting hot from what I have heard.

I put the same motor in a summit the other day with no problems either.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...93#post4695093

RC Qualifier
    To bad you don't have a temp gauge , to see how hot is hot. but looking at numbers your at 4 with the 17/68 and when you had the 14/58 you were at 4.12 .

Gtamantraxxas at 3.090 wooo , now that i would think would get hot but must fly like Heck.

Its likes the 14/62, but i do have roll back . so a slight issue in crawling. but ok for now, since i am having fun bashing. temps all below 110F , but normally around 90 F , its running cooler then the stock titan setup for sure. so shows it can be pushed more. ambient temps i am have been running has been so far 45 to 78 F . running stock tires as a Base as i test , the various gearing.

Thanks for posting your experience. anyway Yes for sure 62 spur fits no problem at all.

RC Qualifier
    I have a temp gun but it was not hot enough to even bring it out of the garage.If you can hold your finger on there for 5 seconds it is well under the safety heat range.I still am running the stock tires and some are comparing ratios with those huge Rok Lok tires or mud tires.I don't even know how to do a comparison of gear ratios when running a much larger and heavy tire.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a 58T spur and installed tonight . i see no offset . seems to fit perfectly . traxxas # 3958
    wow the motor is very close now to esc, but there is just enough space for positive leads from motor to pass by . I am running 12 gauge deans spaghetti .

did you make sure the 3 stepped holes with tiny slot are on the outside to ward spring ?

ill have to run tomorrow got home late from work. but had to try that gear before i hit the hay. it looks like its in the same place as the 62 and 68 gear .

just for info i temped the 14/62 setup the motor was 90F the ESC was 110F after some bashing on 5000 lipo packs . lipos still cruising at 82F . temp outside was 77F . Moab xls on rocksters , balanced perfect. no crawler weights just for balancing.

will see how the 14/58 goes I cant wait thanks again. looks like next step will have to be bigger pinion. i have a traxxas 5644 (18t) coming next week.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 02-04-2011 at 05:08 AM.

RC Racer
    I believe all of the spurs for the 'Revo spec' slipper clutch family (Revos, new Maxxes, Slayer, Slash 4x4, etc) are all interchangeable. There are both 0.8M and 1.0M pitches, so match it your pinion and you will be okay. (:

RC Qualifier
    yea the 58 spur is 0.8 mod metric, same as 32p (well compatible) . for some reason Tower says Jato . but it fits summit no problem.

anyway the 58 works nice like Igore was saying, but i don't see a offset , like he Reported. ill upload some images soon, to my photo area.

Testing some speed runs on old black top . i get 21 feet per sec 14/58 . the 14/62 i got 18.5 feet per sec. and if i remember the 14/68 i got 17 feet . so its no brushless

temp on the 14/58 after 10 passes of 150 feet or more , was 95F on esc and 91F on motor . so getting close to balance .
    I then tried some crawling the esc got to 127F and motor cooled to 88F . large rocks about 18 - 22" and some loggs about 12 -16" diameter. this is all stock tires . temp outside is 71F .

ill try the 56 spur later next week that comes in , but will play with this setup for alittle more .
    also i want to try put the titan back in, with stock gearing to see on that speed testing. I didn't know about doing that. when it was stock. also never tried it with the new lipo 5000 packs.

anyway I would say is a ok to run dewalt with a 14/58 combo. its seems fine.

RC Qualifier
    I might have got a old batch of Jato gears because mine are quite a bit different.They do work but mine rub on the gear cover.The dish difference is only .5mm just enough to screw things up including the pinion placement.UPS package is stuck in Chicago so I have to wait for my 62.Just rebuilt another diff with O rings and Traxxas 500K diff lube,so much better than the stock 100K.

RC Qualifier
    finally got new images uploaded of the 14/58 . also in photo area is 14/62.

14/58
    outdoor images

14/62
    indoor images

i guess i should organize them better . but lucky had time to just upload

anyway both work no problem. I got the 56 and 54 in along with 18 pinion. will try those during weekend.

RC poster
    I was wandering if an RS-750SH motor would work the same as it did for you? I think it came out of a Makita power drill

RC Qualifier
    what volt drill is that makita. might work I saw some one post about a craftsmen or other brand beside dewalt. my motor is for a 14 volt drill. all you can do is try, but watch amp draw, so good idea to have a watt meter or a DMM that can handle higher amps when testing . the dewalt will crank some pretty high amp peaks in 2nd gear. another option when testing is a clamp on DC amp meter . just bear in mind stock esc has a max of 150 , sounds high, but you can go over . so test when experimenting.

RC Qualifier
    I tried some very high gear ratios with the 14.4 Dewalt and it seems to pull them great.I did 17/58 and 17/56 and it was fast and the motor did not overheat.What was amazing is that this thing still crawled fine with these gears.When I used the Kershaw HO with stock gears the crawling suffered.My road is starting to melt so I should be able to do some GPS runs this weekend with different gears and the new Pro line Trenchers.These tires are awesome for bashing and high speed but the stockers still rule for crawling.I plugged the air holes in the beadlock wheels when I assembled them and it now feels like I have air pressure in the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_Traxxasking_xX View Post
    I was wandering if an RS-750SH motor would work the same as it did for you? I think it came out of a Makita power drill
    I may be wrong but i think that is the same series as the titans and kershaws,If i remember correctly, that one is the 775
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    My new favorite gear ratio for the 14.4 Dewalt is 15/58.This seems to be the right combination of crawling / top speed.The motor is low and the CG is balanced right down the center now.The can is about 3mm from the slipper spring.

RC Qualifier
    would be a combo i dont have pinion for , must order yet again LOL.

Thanks Igore , for reports. cant wait to see how fast it went with that tall pinion and tiny spur 17/56 .

but yes i would imagine 1st gear would get to fast crawling. I know 14/58 seems fast , but is still slow enough feather trigger.

do you notice summit is very quiet and smooth now ? thats one more thing i like , great for night stealth operations.

RC Qualifier
    Yes it is quiet now,and I run the extra lightbar for more lighting it freaks the neighbors out.I finally have got better at programming this transmitter and I now use 100% expo on throttle,steering and 75% on the brake.I also gave the steering servos full throw which was way off from the factory.Throttle and steering touch is much smooooooother.The Golden horizions steel pinion is a nice one they are inexpensive and short so they fit the Dewalt mod with no shimming.This $5 pinion is machined better than the $12 Robinson racing pinion.
    Last edited by Igore; 02-11-2011 at 07:38 PM.