RC poster

Best LiPo for stock setup!

I have a stock Merv vxl.

What LiPo setup will be best to run this in parallel?

I will be adding a heat sink and fan to the motor.

Suggestions welcome!!
    Mini e-revo VXL 1\16

RC poster
    Should I just run one batt at a time or two in parallel?
    Mini e-revo VXL 1\16

2s, with a gearing change to at least the 23 tooth pinion..... the stock esc just doesn't handle the extra power well

RC Enthusiast
    I really like spc racing's lipos. They are reasonable and good quality. I have ***** *********'s as well, but they are bigger and come from hong kong so they take awhile to get here. The SPC's ship with traxxas connector and are in the states. Good luck.

I like running with a single lipo. Running two in parallel adds weight and does double the run time bu *** only takes a minute if that to swap in the second battery when the first one dies. Then if you want you can start charging your first battery while you are running the second.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    2s, with a gearing change to at least the 23 tooth pinion..... the stock esc just doesn't handle the extra power well
    Is that with a single LiPo pack then, or do you mean two in series. I was assuming a single 2 cell pack would be fine with the stock gearing?

RC Competitor
    I like a 25T pinion with 2 cell
    series is putting 2 lipos together with a series connector which results in 4 cell, demon speed, and destruction of stock electronics

RC Champion
    I run two 2s BOOST lipos in parrallel I'm kinda the reverse of DAD as a 40min run on two cells in parallel is usually enough for the kids so I don't have to get my hands dirty and cold changing batteries which, to be Frank, are little blighters to get out, especially when muddy. What we often do is run 2xstock in parallel on 23t as a 20-30min warm up (my kids are young so tend to crash a fair bit) then, because these are easy to get out, swap to 2x2s lipo in parallel on the same gearing. Now that we mostly run dirt paws we've dropped down to an 18t pinion - gives similar top speed and acceleration due to larger diameter wheels (nearly 4inch) - blew one or two escs trying to find right gearing lol - secret is......buy a temp guage ;0)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

Quote Originally Posted by leodanger View Post
    Is that with a single LiPo pack then, or do you mean two in series. I was assuming a single 2 cell pack would be fine with the stock gearing?
    stock, single....... the added weight of the extra 2s isnt worth it.... the stock system should be able to handle it.... but honestly, the vxl system is marginal for a 1/16th..... really seems to have been an afterthought of a design for a 1/18th scale......

2s x2 is 4s, and that is jsut going to fry the stock system

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... the stock system should be able to handle it.... but honestly, the vxl system is marginal for a 1/16th..... really seems to have been an afterthought of a design for a 1/18th scale
    Really? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have read a comment like this on the Traxxas forum in the past couple of days and I don't understand why. I own two different Traxxas 1/16th vehicles, the MERV and Rally, and I do not experience any problems with either one. My experience has been the VXL system is GREAT!

RC Competitor
    so far, mine has been pretty robust on 2 cell lipo

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Really? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have read a comment like this on the Traxxas forum in the past couple of days and I don't understand why. I own two different Traxxas 1/16th vehicles, the MERV and Rally, and I do not experience any problems with either one. My experience has been the VXL system is GREAT!
    glad you are happy with it.... i love my merv..... but the stock esc just isn't very good...... the stock motor is actually very good however..... i fried my stock esc running nimhs, sure it was probably my fault, but i have run way steeper setups with my mmp, with no issues whatsoever

RC Competitor
    glad you are happy with it.... i love my merv..... but the stock esc just isn't very good...... the stock motor is actually very good however..... i fried my stock esc running nimhs, sure it was probably my fault, but i have run way steeper setups with my mmp, with no issues whatsoever
    were you running the standard nimh batt and stock tires and pinion? or were you running 2 in series when you fried it?

RC Competitor
    Hi, so running a single 2s with stock gearing is ok for the stock esc?

RC Qualifier
    I think the stock setup is fine myself and being waterproof is a bonus. putting 3s and maxing it out to me is just asking for problems.
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now