RC Racer

Merv to Summit conversion. Anyone???

Anyone do it yet? Love my sons mini Summit when we take it out in the woods. My Merv is better on the flat hard stuff so I'm looking at doing a conversion. I already have the rins and tires from a Summit. I'll need purple springs and what else.

RC Qualifier
    Rocker arms. what body u gonna run?
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    rockers, you can leave the same a-arms or get the extended a-arms on rear, lower your motor pinion down to 16t, can leave the same body or get the body mounts and get the body, pretty much that's it.

RC Racer
    I'm going all the way, body, Rear A-arms, Rocker Arms, Bumpers, and body mounts. Dang I should just look for a Summit roller and have spare diffs and all. Love the look of the Summit but couldn't pass up the deal on the Merv I got, $200 cash NIB off of Craigslist.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    I'm going all the way, body, Rear A-arms, Rocker Arms, Bumpers, and body mounts. Dang I should just look for a Summit roller and have spare diffs and all. Love the look of the Summit but couldn't pass up the deal on the Merv I got, $200 cash NIB off of Craigslist.
    you can get a roller from ebay and swap electronics.

RC Racer
    Looks like the rolling chassis on eBay fetch around $110 to $140 shipped. Some have bodies and some don't. Body on eBay is about $40-$50, might just look at the brushed version from Tower.

Or just get what i need and covert. I'll keep a look out for a roller with body for about $100.

RC Competitor
    I did it with mine and it is much better on road. I bought the MERV rockers, a set of the traxxas dish wheels, dirt hawg tires, and a baja body plus a 23T pinion. Looks killer with the baja body and the mini summit bumpers. Looks real "baja" ish.. I put the MERV wing on and you can still use both summit bumpers so you can add the lights. Just take off both body mounts and use velcro on the body to hold it on. Worls great and now when I go strictly offroad it is about a 15 minute swap back to the Summit.

RC Racer
    BeeJ, (Love the name) I'd love to see any pics you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    I did it with mine and it is much better on road. I bought the MERV rockers, a set of the traxxas dish wheels, dirt hawg tires, and a baja body plus a 23T pinion. Looks killer with the baja body and the mini summit bumpers. Looks real "baja" ish.. I put the MERV wing on and you can still use both summit bumpers so you can add the lights. Just take off both body mounts and use velcro on the body to hold it on. Worls great and now when I go strictly offroad it is about a 15 minute swap back to the Summit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    BeeJ, I'd love to see any pics you might have.
    me too I ask him for it, on another thread.

RC Racer
    Well I picked up a new Summit rolling chassis on CL for $100 for my Merv to Summit conversion. Not really a conversion as I'm just going to swap electronics, already have Summit tires just need a used body. Anybody??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I picked up a new Summit rolling chassis on CL for $100 for my Merv to Summit conversion. Not really a conversion as I'm just going to swap electronics, already have Summit tires just need a used body. Anybody??
    you should look at the market place there are some summit 1 16 parts for sale.

MERV to SumV conversion in progress:
    Shock oil & springs, wheels & tires, LT rockers, & pinion installed...

and then with the very limited edition black plastic pushrods & toe links...

The exocage is on-hand, and the bumpers and body have just arrived. The body and exocage need painting before I bother installing the body posts and bumpers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I'm almost done converting mine. Got the summit front and rear bumpers on, LT rockers, summit body with cage, summit tires and wheels. Have some purple springs at the post office I need to pic up Abd then have to change the diff and shock oil. Can't test it cause the ESC is pouched like my other merv. Both had like 4 runs on them and now the ESC's only turn on for a second then turn off. If I turn it on and quickly squeeze the remote it cogs like crazy and as soon as I let go of the trigger the ESC turns off. I have no clue what's wring with the ESC's. Both my MERVs are down with the same issue. I'm stumped. Pm me if any of you know what's wrong with them.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Teaxximus where did you find the purple springs, thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I got the springs from eBay from the seller toadztoyz. They were $3.28 per pair with free shipping.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    i would say they are fried...ive had mine do that in my merv and slash 4x4 ult. gota love that lifetime warranty...
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Qualifier
    I don't have either of my MERV's registered(I'm dumb and lazy) so I'm up a creek without an ESC
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC poster

Red face Merv Summit conversion

I converted mine. Changed to Summit tires,wheels,16 tooth pinion,long travel rockers,shocks and springs.
    Everything else is stock Merv spec. except for preveiously added Traxxas aluminum push rods and turnbuckles, RPM front a-arms, GH axle carriers(4), wheelie bar and T-Bone full skid plate(no TB bumpers).
    Works great! Light snow, winter grass(dead) and even asphalt. With 3s it wheelies on demands

Last edited by sfiery; 01-23-2011 at 01:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    I'm looking to do the same thing. Why are there different rear a-arms than front?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by savagegarrick View Post
    I'm looking to do the same thing. Why are there different rear a-arms than front?
    The fronts are RPM and the rear are stock MERV. I plan to go with RPM in the rear when the stockers break. I've run 30+ packs(mostly 3s) without breaking them yet. I think I'm pushing my luck!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxximus Prime View Post
    I don't have either of my MERV's registered(I'm dumb and lazy) so I'm up a creek without an ESC
    You don't need them registered. Just send in the ESC's using the lifetime warranty form, and they will send you new ones. i think it's like $15 bucks each and one shipping charge of $5. Two new ESC's for 35 bucks, go to it man.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 16hp View Post
    You don't need them registered. Just send in the ESC's using the lifetime warranty form, and they will send you new ones. i think it's like $15 bucks each and one shipping charge of $5. Two new ESC's for 35 bucks, go to it man.
    They ask you to do it, I had to before sending in my esc.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 16hp View Post
    i need to correct my info. The VXL 3M has a $40 lifetime warranty charge. So sending in two would be $85 bucks. Still a good deal vs. buying them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    They ask you to do it, I had to before sending in my esc.
    You must be talking about before 30 days is up. Yeah, if they are going to send one out for free, they need some proof. i was talking about after 30 day lifetime warranty. You could find one smashed up on the street, pick it up and send it in with 45 bucks and you'll get a new one.

RC Qualifier
    They have a hummer body for these now! Im picking one up for my summit project. exotec makes them. Just some advice on a new look!
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRC86 View Post
    They have a hummer body for these now! Im picking one up for my summit project. exotec makes them. Just some advice on a new look!
    Oh yeah. I just got that body in the mail today with my summit wheels. I LOVE that look advertised with that body. I'll be waiting a bit though while I decide on paint scheme. Of course then, i need to go out and get paint/supplies.