VXL esc keeps shutting off

I am running the VXL esc and the Novak SC 5.5. After awhile the truck will just turn off and stop. If you wait a few min it turns back on. If you hit full throttle again it takes 30 min to turn on. Any ideas what iss the problem? I am running Venom 11.1v 5400 mah lipos

RC Racer
    It's a time travel thing. Your Slash is going too fast for the radio and it has to stop and wait for the radio to catch up to it. But seriously, it sounds like thermal shut down to me. If you have to wait 30 minutes for it to run again. But I am not familiar enough with these new esc to give you a real answer.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

I thought about that. But it doesn't slow down, it just stops. And after the second time the light doesn't even turn on. The esc fan won't even turn. Maybe it is going too fast

RC Competitor
    Sounds liek it goes right into stage 2 shutdown. That is a complete shutoff.

The crazy thing is the esc isn't even hot when it does it.

RC Competitor
    Does the LED blink at all? If so, what's the colour and frequency of the blinks?

I had a bad ESC when I fisrt got my truck. It flashed an overvoltage error, even on the stock NiMh battery. That ESC was fried real good.

No lights at all! Fully shut off.

RC Competitor
    I'd say it was a faulty ESC. Contact Traxxas about it, or use the opportunity to get a better ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by dtnel View Post
    Slash 4x4 trucks with the vxl esc have had thermal shutdown issues from the beginning. I had a esc fan from buytraxxas.com and it helped as long as I kept the truck moving in the summer heat. PErsonally I would go get a mmp esc and you'll have your fix. I have 2 slash 4x4s and they both have the mmp esc . One truck is running the vxl motor. The other truck has the novak ballistic 550 5.5 motor. I keep both of the original escs for wet snowy running. Hope all this helps........
    I am running the Novak SC 5.5. I have just found out the with the esc fan it overloads something. If I have the sensor wire plugged in it won't turn on. Without the esc fan wire it is now turning on. It is very strange.

I called Novak and told them the problem. They had me run a few tests on the truck. It seems that the sensor in the motor went bad. I put the stock motor back in and the truck runs fine. Novak already sent out the part to fix it. So for now I am running stock again. My Mmp is on its way and so is the motor sensor. I should be fine after I get it all together again. I will keep you posted!

It took a lot of work switching parts around. Good thing I have extra motors , speed controllers and steering servos. I was able to isolate what the problem could be by process of elimination. Right now she is stock but next week will be running Mmp and Novak SC 5.5. Should be even faster than before!

RC Racer
    So then we are back to the time travel problem.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC poster
    Are your batterys charged I had the same problem with my vxl esc if it goes into low voltage cutoff you need to put a fully charged battery in it to reset it. If you put the old batterys in it it will still be in low voltage detection and turn off.

It wasn't low voltage. After I removed the sensor wire it would turn on for a brief second. I put a VXl motor back in with the same esc and battery and it would run fine. So that's why I know it is the motor. Novak sent the replacement part. I will get the part later today. Should make my 4x4 faster than it ever has been! I will keep everyone posted. By the way, the MMp runs the vxl motor like it is sensored. It has almost no cogging!

So was I. Sorry for the confusion.

RC poster
    If lvc kicks in then you need to put a fully charged battery in to reset it. Because if you put the battery that has low voltage in again it will not reset lvc therefore the truck will stay in lvc until a 12.6v lipo (if your running 3s) is plugged in.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel View Post
    Brandon2010, If lvc kicks in and you have a lipo in THe truck that would be normal. If you have lvc enabled and you're running nimh batteries then you need to turn the lvc off. Your statement has me a little confused..............
    If lvc kicks in then you need to put a fully charged battery in to reset it. Because if you put the battery that has low voltage in again it will not reset lvc therefore the truck will stay in lvc until a 12.6v lipo (if your running 3s) is plugged in.

RC poster
    Thats what I ment but I always plug a new one in regardless.

I received the part and put it in. The truck runs great for like ten minutes. Then it just dies. If I disconnect the sensor wire it will be able to turn on and run. If I don't unplug the wire it doesn't turn on at all. I got a new battery so I will try that. But it looks like I will have to send the motor in to Novak.

I the last time I ran it was with the MMP. It ran great for about ten minutes. Very powerful and fast. It just died no steering throttle or anything. Do you think a glitch buster would solve my problem?

It does the exact same thing with the VXL esc. So I know I probably just send it in to Novak. I left uselesspickles a message. Maybe he will have some insight. You use your sensored wire? It works fine? Which lipos do you use?

I am using Venom 11.1v 5400mah lipos. Is that what you are using?