RC Enthusiast

Electronics setup?

I want to hear some setup opinions. ESC, motor, combos, batteries, servos, the whole nine yards. I can use a 1/10 esc w/ 380 can or no?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
    I want to hear some setup opinions. ESC, motor, combos, batteries, servos, the whole nine yards. I can use a 1/10 esc w/ 380 can or no?
    1. Castle... I use the Mamba Max
    2. Stock motor is fine with the 1/10 ESC (I plan to run this way until the Traxxas big-block motor mount is available, then it's a Castle 4600kv motor for me!)
    3. *****/*********/*******/SPC all are great options for lipo batteries (I use 2s *****). Search any of the mini forums for batteries people have used and recommend.
    3. I have the HS-82mg servo... and I really don't like it. It doesn't work well with my Futaba 3PM. If you run 2.4GHz, you should really have a digital servo.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Racer
    Ditto on the setup (Castle Mamba Max pro). Waiting for Traxxas big block mount then Castle CM36, I don't care for the Tenbol mount. Been very happy with SPC Lipos. Also tried a MaxAmps 3S Life which so far is working out great. Tried 3S Lipo which is screaming fast, but generates too much heat for my taste, so normal running is 2S lipo and when more speed is needed, it's a quick switch to the 3S Life which doesn't generate as much heat as the Lipo. Still running stock servo and Traxxas 2.4.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I run a Castle Sidewinder ESC with the stock motor. Unless you want to run 4S (which the stock motor isnt really capable of) I dont see why youd need anything more than a Sidewinder.
    I use SPC batteries in both 2 and 3S... for the money (shipping costs included) they are difficult value to beat. Excellent performance, capable of being charged at up to 2C, world class customer service and more than reasonable prices... everything I want.
    I use the stock servo with no issues at all. The stock servo is known to have some issues when used on the 1/16 offroad vehicles, in particular the MERV... but for an onroad application where the vehicle isnt landing on its wheels and reefing on the steering all the time I doubt youll have trouble with the stocker. I looked into what id move up to if I wanted to... for the money, the stock servo is fine IMO.

Ive run all different 1/10 wheels and tires... if you WANT the car to drift, the stock tires are good. If you want it to handle well... get softer 1/10 tires... youll have to experiment to find the balance you like... I prefer the stock compound as I like sliding the car around.

Ive upgraded my car with an aluminum motor mount and aluminum motor plate to help dissipate heat. I put on a motor heatsink with a fan also and a put a hood scoop on the front of the body. After these mods I was finding the motor stayed acceptably cool on 3S but the ESC would get too hot. The sidewinder has fixed that issue.

I also put bearings in the steering and the rockers. Made them both operate smoother with less slop... and I think they will last far longer. For a few bucks, it was worth it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    so 1/10th sidewinder esc w/ stock 380 motor
    traxxas 2.4 system
    spc 2s lipo
    hitec hs-80mg servo (have one in stock)
    sound good guys?

RC Racer
    I wouldn't change the servo until you burn up or strip the stock one like pavementsurfer said. I really don't like the HS-82mg, and I can't see the 80 being any better. The Traxxas 2.4 system doesn't play well with the non-digital servos either. Someone just needs to make metal gears for the Traxxas servo... I know I'd buy a set.

Other than that.... the stuff you have listed looks good!
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Oh man, can you imagine how many sets of gears someone would sell if they made metal sets for traxxas waterproof servos...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ