RC Enthusiast

whats the gyro for?????

I do not have one of these and was just trolling around in the Ken Block section because they looked cool and saw that these come with gyro's. Why??? Is this to try and help you straighten it out while drifting?

RC Qualifier
    drift assist ....

RC Racer
    Isn't that kinda cheating? Wouldn't it be more fun to learn how to drift? Mind you, it is easier when you can actually feel the cars inputs and udjust. Going by sight alone might be awefully diffcult.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Champion
    Hi they don't come fitted with a gyro.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OSWHollowpoint View Post
    Isn't that kinda cheating? Wouldn't it be more fun to learn how to drift? Mind you, it is easier when you can actually feel the cars inputs and udjust. Going by sight alone might be awefully diffcult.
    You're driving an R/C car, you're going by sight alone all the time. lol! There is no "feel". I have driven an r/c car with a gyro before though and it is a little bit different. It's really nice when you're trying to keep the car straight and helps to prevent spinouts.
    Revo 3.3
    Ken Block Rally VXL
    Associated RC10r5

RC Racer
    Yeah, thats what I meant. There is never any feel so it is much harder to do. So does the gyro mess with your servo inputs to prevent spinouts or how does it work?
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Champion
    it tries to keep the car straight.

RC Enthusiast
    A gyro, "damps" or reduces unwanted movement, movement that you didn't input with the transmitter. It senses uncommanded angular direction changes, and reduces the chassis angular movement by sending a signal to the steering servo to counteract the unintended angular change.

(I work in the R/C helicopter industry, and we have been using gyros for along time)
    Revo 3.3
    Ken Block Rally VXL
    Associated RC10r5

RC Enthusiast
    yea, i have a gryo on my trex450, I t does this with just the steering servo???

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tjv250r View Post
    yea, i have a gryo on my trex450, I t does this with just the steering servo???
    Yep. Another way to think about it is that the steering becomes "drive by wire" (even more than it really is). With a more advanced heading lock gyro between the steering servo and the receiver, it is even more apparent. The gyro takes a request for movement, and only moves the servo enough to allow the movement you requested.

A heading lock gyro does even more than just damp unintended movement, it corrects the unintended movement! For example if your car started to spin out, but you weren't making a command with the transmitter, the gyro would instruct the servo to turn far enough to keep the car going straight.
    Revo 3.3
    Ken Block Rally VXL
    Associated RC10r5

RC Competitor
    i just picked up a e sky gyro on eBay part #EK2-0704. I want to use it on top speed runs and kinda like a drift trainer..turning down the sensitivity as my skills get better. Where is a good place to Mount the gyro

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by itzstress View Post
    i just picked up a e sky gyro on eBay part #EK2-0704. I want to use it on top speed runs and kinda like a drift trainer..turning down the sensitivity as my skills get better. Where is a good place to Mount the gyro
    It can be mounted anywhere on the car that is parallel to the ground.
    Revo 3.3
    Ken Block Rally VXL
    Associated RC10r5

RC Enthusiast
    kb rally + gyro = AWESOME snagged a futaba g190 (i believe its the same guts with hpi drift assist but half the price!!!) in ebay for 20 bucks. installed it and wow what a difference controlled donuts and prolonged drift. installed the gyro at the rear body post got it from the rally forum. will post a video soon
    revo converted mmm 2200
    slash 4x4
    kb rally

RC Competitor
    I like the gyro it works best on minimal settings.

RC Champion
    mine is still on order but when it gets here i will mount 3 bits of velcro on the chassis front middle and rear. just to see what works best. as a heli has it mounted in the middle.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    mine is still on order but when it gets here i will mount 3 bits of velcro on the chassis front middle and rear. just to see what works best. as a heli has it mounted in the middle.
    Velcro is not a good choice. It will allow the gyro to move around, and the car will perform poorly. Double sided tape needs to be used.
    Revo 3.3
    Ken Block Rally VXL
    Associated RC10r5

RC Champion
    the velcro is just for quick tests. as i want to be able to move it quick. also i want to try and find out if it can be driven in a sort of normal way with the gyro

RC Competitor
    Velcro should be fine for testing. the gyro doesn't weigh much. I noticed the rustler guys mount the gyro up front between the front suspension. I cant go straight in reverse for more than a couple feet before it spins around and starts going straight. It doesn't bother me much. I'm not sure if its because of the rear location or i just need to dial back the sensitivity. Still testing...........

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by itzstress View Post
    I like the gyro it works best on minimal settings.
    where did you get the fans for the esc/motor? who makes them?

RC Competitor
    its a 25 x 25 x 10mm 7.2G High Voltage Fan for Car ESC from hobbypartz.com. I wish there was a way to set up a temp switch.

RC Qualifier
    how did you attach the fans to the motor/esc? is there a heat sink on the motor?? looks like it, but hard to tell in the pic.

RC Competitor
    i have a integy motor heat sink w/fan I used a futuba splitter to power the two fans off of the receiver

RC Qualifier
    thanks, I will be looking into a set up like that for mine. looks nice! Also, do you notice any shortened run time with both fans runnin, or loss in power?

RC Competitor
    yes the runtime has been shortened but im not sure by how much. im using the stock battery.Im going to install a switch next. some situations you really dont need the fan.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    where did you get the fans for the esc/motor? who makes them?
    I use Yeah Racing Heatsink & Fan (YA01338). Comes in Blue and Gun Metal.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yeah-Racing-YA01...item4a9e12381b

RC Champion
    best place for the gyro was near the front. so i have mounted it in line with the servo. and on full gain. it will make anyone look a pro. it is strange for me as i can drift. so i was thinking all the time is it me or the drift assist doing all the hard work. on a smooth surface i have no need for it. but on a uneven surface it comes in handy. i paid 7 for the hpi copy or is that a futaba g190 copy. lol

RC Competitor
    can we get some pics? i thought about making a small mount that sits above the front shocks. i would like to see how you set yours up. I agree with you turok its not really a necessity but its nice to have it when you need want to drive it hard. ive noticed anything above 3/4 turn it over compensates and starts wagging tail....it looks sick especially when your running down another car.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a fubata G-190. I made a Mounting bracket that fits into the rear Body mounts and the gyro sits just above the rear
    shocks and just in front of The rear Axles. From my readings I think this is the best place.

RC Enthusiast
    Well mounted it, but did not finish the sealed box for the gyro... Let a buddy drive it. He managed to find a puddle and got the
    Wet. It ended up shorting and burnt out my steering servo. Gyro still good, note to self... Waterproof the gyro!

RC poster
    I was wondering if anyone else is running the Futaba GYC430 gyro?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    best place for the gyro was near the front. so i have mounted it in line with the servo. and on full gain. it will make anyone look a pro. it is strange for me as i can drift. so i was thinking all the time is it me or the drift assist doing all the hard work. on a smooth surface i have no need for it. but on a uneven surface it comes in handy. i paid 7 for the hpi copy or is that a futaba g190 copy. lol
    For that cheap, I need to try out the gyro!

RC poster
    Hi everyone...

Can i use any gyro, from helis?

Or must be a specific type of gyros??

Regards...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I have one more question. Could a gyro be useful in low traction track situations? Situations where i tend to spin my vehicles oit if I'm not very careful? And what about just plain offroading? I think of times when i hit a root or something and the truck bounces and veers off course.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sncrespo View Post
    Hi everyone...

Can i use any gyro, from helis?

Or must be a specific type of gyros??

Regards...
    What type of gyro can i buy that works well without being the drift one??

I saw that there are head lock ones, tail lock ones, etc...

Need help, please...