RC Racer

Exclamation nimh's making strang sounds

hello
    when i was chargeing my nimh (sat for a week also its onyx 8.4v 3amp)and it
    started to make a steam sound(not steaming just the sound)or air seping out in about half second itervuls well still on the charger(prophet sport 2)at 2amp then when i detached it from the charger(batterie wasnt hot nor fully charged) the sound changed about 5 seconeds after to if you were to tape the batterie with you finger nail/ sort of a water drop for about 3 mins than quit in the mornig it was fine put it in the summit and ran full run time no noise after words and havent recharged yet

but im woundering if i shoud replace it or still use it considering the noise

RC Qualifier
    i would replace... one battery cost compared to ???? cost

RC Racer
    even thoght the battery didnt make a noise after the run nor get hot
    i get your point thoght but ((((im just woundering what cosed it to make that sound)))
    i gues i'll quarantine the batery awww no more charging them well im sleeping

RC Qualifier
    I had several overheating problems with the nimh's. Got rid of them, got lipo's. Have fewer problems. You will need to do the homework and read up on them, but they have proven safer then the nimh's for me.

RC Qualifier
    if it was venting that much, sounds like you overcharged them, also if liquid came out. BTW the Air coming out is Hydrogen , which is flammable . the liquid is probably electrolyte or acid . leaking the electrolyte you lost capacity for sure. Best advise get new battery , and do not overcharge them. charge batteries were you have fresh air circulation and no open flames close by.

the batteries have a safety vent , as you charge a battery it builds up Gas , mostly hydrogen. so that is why you heard a sound. but sounds like way to much . so either you are charging to fast or to long, or the battery had previous damage or is defective.

some times you can feel them with a light touch like a rattling inside, even a lipo will do this, its like a slight vibration. mostly normal if not blasting the battery with to much charge rate. there is a chemical reaction going on inside to store the power.

RC Racer
    ya then the gas leeked out but no acid as the pack is fine visualy but didnt heat up nore
    drag the summits preformance down when i put it in the next day
    i was charging it at 2amp and it tkaes about an 1hr40mins to about 2hrs to charge
    as that the battery has sat for a week .

and the other one is fine but its the one that got droped????

RC Qualifier
    Hi.I had some "quality" nimhs at $50 per pack.They didn't last 15 runs .Try and get some lipos,******* ones are good and cheaper than the equivilant nimhs.The venting of gas sounds dodgy,could be dangerous.

RC Qualifier
    read exploding lipo it just happened to me right after i posted my first responce to yours

RC Racer
    ive never expect the nimh to seap the hydride out i thoght that they just hold less of a charge till you cant use them
    ya i chaged them again and it got bad so of to recycle plant they go

so what more dangerous nimh's or lipo??

RC Champion
    i have had nimh packs that have done the same. some go back to normal but some will just do in again on the next charge so then get binned.

as for what is more dangerous i have had a hi-mh go bang with flames while being used. but it was a good make pack so it had loads of good power. but lipo has more things that can go wrong.
    Last edited by turok; 01-11-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add info
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    that would of been fun trying to get the batt out of the summ
    i take it was a mess

i dont know if i should buy the same brad or get more stock batts

RC Racer
    going to the stock batteries should there be steam in them after a run
    i play in the snow but the box has a couple drops of water and the steam is
    opposit of the wires