RC poster

Improve on-road handling: should I convert to MERV ?

I'd like to improve the on-pavement handling of my summit vxl, so that I can turn faster without rolling over. Right now in order to make a sharp turn with my mini summit, I almost have to slow down to a stop.
    Ideally I'd like to be able to convert back and forth so that I can drive on-road or off-road.

I'm thinking I mostly need to lower the CG and get new tires, so I would need:
    - street tires (maybe the MERV tires)
    - shorter rockers
    - maybe a stiffer suspension ?

which parts would you recommend for this convertion ? can I just get the tires, the rockers and the shocks from the MERV ? Would that work in the mini summit ?

Or should I just forget about the idea and buy a MERV But being able to convert back and forth between off-road and on-road sounds like an economical solution.

RC poster
    Honestly, the shocks/springs on the 1/16 Summit are already stiffer than the MERV's, so that's not a problem. I'm not sure if you should get the MERV's shocks, If someone that has both the Summit and the MERV could help me out that would be great.
    Shorter rocker arms might work, but I'm not sure, simply because you would have to get shorter A-Arms too. If you do decide to do this, just get the RPM A-Arms for the MERV(front + rear), and then get shorter rockers.
    If you want it to go faster, you would also have to change the spur/pinion gears to what the MERV is running.
    I do agree with getting smaller tires, the ones on the Summit are quite large in comparison.
    That's pretty much what I would recommend, but if someone that has experience w/ both kits could help me out that would be great.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustpuppy View Post
    Or should I just forget about the idea and buy a MERV But being able to convert back and forth between off-road and on-road sounds like an economical solution.
    LCG, shorter rockers, smaller tires thatīs pretty much a merv. I have both, the merv is more for on-road driving compared with the summit but I donīt have problems with driving my summit on road and doing turns, unless you do a quick turn both merv and summit will roll over.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-09-2011 at 03:57 PM.

RC Champion
    The Merv does very well on pavement!

I have been looking at parts to convert my MERV to a Summit (to improve off road capability) and I'm starting to think I'm better off just buying a brushed Summit. I was over $100 on parts to convert, throw in another $100-120 and I have a complete RTR truck. Altough another truck would require a new Spektrum RX and another motor/ESC, I have wanted to try a Hobby Wing ESC...

Rockers, Shocks/Springs, and Tires would certainly help with your on-road performance. The low body mounts, a low profile body, and wing mount/wing would take it to the next level. I bet the Summit body is heavy with the exocage!
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Racer
    Don't forget the Mustang Boss 302 version comes out soon. And the Ken Block rally car is now available. These are strictly street and will give you the best on-road performance.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/mode...c/7309kenblock

RC Competitor
    I did it with mine and it is much better on road. I bought the MERV rockers, a set of the traxxas dish wheels, dirt hawg tires, and a baja body plus a 23T pinion. Looks killer with the baja body and the mini summit bumpers. Looks real "baja" ish.. I put the MERV wing on and you can still use both summit bumpers so you can add the lights. Just take off both body mounts and use velcro on the body to hold it on. Worls great and now when I go strictly offroad it is about a 15 minute swap back to the Summit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    I did it with mine and it is much better on road. I bought the MERV rockers, a set of the traxxas dish wheels, dirt hawg tires, and a baja body plus a 23T pinion. Looks killer with the baja body and the mini summit bumpers. Looks real "baja" ish.. I put the MERV wing on and you can still use both summit bumpers so you can add the lights. Just take off both body mounts and use velcro on the body to hold it on. Worls great and now when I go strictly offroad it is about a 15 minute swap back to the Summit.
    Could you post a pic, actually that's my next project just ordered some parts today for it.

RC Competitor
    Rc-Fan, sure will once I get a spare minute between wrk and the family duties.