RC Competitor

outerwear vs overtray?

i would like to know the pros/cons on the outerwear... i got overtray but what i dont like about it, motor overheat, i got fan on ESC and doens't change much really. was curious if the outerwear does same thing? or help breathing more!
    thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Outerwears is the way to go. No heat issues. Keeps rocks and sticks out

RC Competitor
    I have the overtray, and have the same issues with ESC overheat. I run with the unertray though, and I love it. It keeps most of the debris out, and does a great cob protecting the servo arm and there is much less sand in the propellershaft tunnel now. I will try the outerwears shroud over the undertray for the ultimate protection.

RC Racer
    i got the jconcepts overtray and i love it, really keeps the rocks and dirt out. And haven't had problems with heat cause i cut grooves in the top to let the air flow in, works pretty good

RC Champion
    I was just out for a 30min rip in the snow, Outwears rocks !

RC Qualifier
    I also got the overtray with the vents cut into it, it does get pretty toasty in there. i would like to try the under tray with the outerwears replacing the overtray.

RC Competitor
    good to know i'm not the only one having heat issues with overtray. and cutting hole/vent on the overtray doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the overtray?! i guess undertray/outerwears seem the way to go... i might try that

RC Qualifier
    I have run both and I like the outerwears with the undertray the best.
    Slash4x4 1512
    LST2 1717
    Muggy 1518
    ERBE 1515

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jathomas3 View Post
    I have run both and I like the outerwears with the undertray the best.
    +1 works great for me too ;0)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC poster
    Is the Outwears undertray you mention the 1 made by Pro-line guys??
    I was considering a Jconcepts overtray but ive already had an Esc fail on me (was faulty from new tho i suspect) so i'm real cautious now of the overtray......Thanks

RC Qualifier
    The undertray is made by Proline. The Outerwears cover is instead of the JConcepts overtray. The undertray and the outerwears cover together is a good combo.
    Slash4x4 1512
    LST2 1717
    Muggy 1518
    ERBE 1515

RC Enthusiast
    Just to clear this up for some people that might not understand:

outerwear is a product made of a breathable cloth that velcros on the top of your rc car components

When they say tray.... Either overtray or undertray this is a this clear plastic piece just like a rc body that can be painted with rc paint to any color you choose

RC Qualifier
    I have both and there is just NO WAY in heck that I would ever use the overtray again after having tried the Outerwears shroud. Its honestly NO comparison. The overtray is just way too close to the motor and esc and gets hot even with lots of holes cut in. Much hotter in there with a cut up overtray full of holes, than a fully sealed shroud would ever be!! To me its absolutely NO comparison.

My overtray (modded with air vents everywhere in it) is collecting dust right now, while my outerwears shroud runs on the truck. I dislike the overtray enough that I run my second slash 4x4 without it at all!! I run that second truck completely open as the overtray is a waste of time to me plus its like an oven in there with that overtray on it. I rather not even run it at all honestly. But I will get a second outerwears shroud for that truck eventually.

Go with the Outerwears shroud. Unfortunately for me, I bought the overtray first as I made the mistake of rushing to buy it without really look into the outerwears shroud. BIG MISTAKE, money wasted!!
    Last edited by BrokenLexan; 01-24-2011 at 06:45 PM.