RC Racer

How to make it Jump better

If noticed that the summit isnt the best jumper it tends to flip.. doesnt fly well.
    anyone have any tips on driving technique or minor changes to the truck that will make it fly better

I have Double orange springs on all shocks
    the shock tie rods are set to the longest travel point on the A-Arms. (point closest the top)
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

Change the body change the wheels and lighten it up.this isn't the best choice for a jumping truck it's pretty heavy
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Hi.If it's flipping backwards,use the brake,flipping forwards use the throttle .Ooh a MMM helps too

RC Racer

lightening up the summit

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Change the body change the wheels and lighten it up.this isn't the best choice for a jumping truck it's pretty heavy
    I put a e-revo body and wing on it, and it jumps better (it's lighter). I left stock wheels and tires until they wear out, then gonna put something else like pro-line wheels and tires. Also going to put blue or purple springs on all 4 corners, and lower the ride height. btw it's not recommended to change the push rods from the middle position with the LT rocker arms. Too much angle in the extreme position.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    To make the summit jump better you should sell it and buy an erevo.

Seriously, its a trail truck & crawler, not a jumper- thats like buying a tank and wondering why it takes so long to do the 1/4 mile...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
    Hi.If it's flipping backwards,use the brake,flipping forwards use the throttle .Ooh a MMM helps too
    This^ and weight distribution/lighter weight.

I'm able to control the truck much better by varying the throttle through and after jumps. However, I'm not doing really large jumps either (jumping off of 3 foot tall mounds of dirt and snow is all I've been able to find so far).

This is more noticeable on my 1/16 E-Revo VXL where if the truck is coming down nose first I hit the throttle and the wheel spin acts like a gyro to reposition the truck so it will land on all 4 wheels instead of the nose. A large part of this is the brushless power and the Merv is a light truck so it doesn't take as much power for the wheel spin to have an effect.

On something like the Summit I believe having more weight towards the rear of the truck would be nice for jumping but I wouldn't recommend adding weight to the truck and I'm not sure what you could really remove from the front. SO IMO it comes down to varying the throttle during/after jumps...at least for a fairly stock setup.

RC Competitor
    mmm i usually bash my summit at a dirtbike track, 10 foot high mountains enough to make this heavy beast jump !

it is not the easyest truck to jump but untill now i always landed on all four's and mostly very soft and smooth.

my mods are : 3 holes/tire, double orange springs at the back, 2X 2S lipo, 14.4V Dewalt motor, suspension on inner hole or middle hole depending on situation, body as high as possible(just for the looks), preload about 20% on al 4 shocks.

RC Competitor
    Hey ArmyofDarkness, It is a way for people to try and have there cake and it two. I had the same problem, I just slam the gas at the tip of the jump.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have their cake and eat it you mean?

Whatever makes people happy I suppose, but it really wasnt designed for jumping- such a heavy truck made of traxxas-grade plastics is never gonna jump as well as a much ligher erevo, emaxx or even a 1/8 truggy ( doubt traxxas will ever make a (good) one of those but anyways )...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Hey Adamfilip, I felt the same way with my stock summit. Since it is so heavy and only goes about 20mph, you don't have a lot of extra throttle or power to use for air control. I found that on most medium size jumps you had to keep the throttle pinned down just to have it land level. I put a brushless system in mine and now it is much more controllable in the air. I know where you're coming from, I love to jump my summit to. I mean, what's a monster truck for anyway? I think the only thing it needs to be a fine jumper is stiffer springs (I've got purple springs all the way around with the preload all the way down and it still bottoms out from like two feet) and more speed and power (i.e. a brushless system). And I don't know if you already knew this or not, but applying throttle in the air leans the truck back and applying brakes leans it forward. It's all physics really. Rotational mass and all that jazz.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Competitor
    just a quick note : for better landings it is advised to change the shock oil and not the springs/preload, if you try to fix it with other springs it will not have 1/2 the effect of a decent shock oil replacement.

RC Racer
    what would you advise we change the shock oil too?
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    70 wt. is good, that's what I put in my shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Best thing ... learn throttle control.... I can make my summit fly (as good a summit can)... I just posted a vid from when I converted my summit to a dually... hard to tell but it jumping about 10-20 feet out and in some case up as high as 10 feet off a basic ramp. I keep my shocks with no tension, the front arms are out as wide as the tie bar permits and the rear as in as far as the bar permits to cut back on some sag. I run 30wt shock oil and my front wheels are weighted to balance out the weight of the extra hardware for the dually.

Watch the vid...I had just finished the conversion recently and even not being used to it I was nailing most of my landings and getting decent height and distance...

It will never jump like some of the other bashers even with mmm system... that same ramp set-up with my VXL pede was insane... it was out jumping the summit with even with 7 cell batts in my pede....
    Last edited by mdlopez1; 01-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    what would you advise we change the shock oil too?
    for less botteming out ? yes.
    but you are going to sacrifice on the crawling ability a bit.

@ MDAudio :
    that VDP, i never heard of that ? is that something traxxas makes ?

RC Competitor
    nice, that looks interesting...

tnx for the info !

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=RSmodelstore;4672985]for less botteming out ? yes.
    but you are going to sacrifice on the crawling ability a bit.QUOTE]

The shock oil should not have a huge effect on crawling. Thicker oil doesn't make the shocks stiffer, it simply slows them down. If all you changed in the shocks was the oil, you would still get the same amount of flex in the suspension. Thicker oil just holds better against impact, such as landing a jump, because then the shock can't compress as quickly, thus giving a better damping effect.

RC Competitor
    i know but if you go to thick it takes an age to get the suspension to articulate or was i using sirup that time when i found this out ? (LOL)

RC Qualifier
    Hi.I blew the ends off the shocks when I used 70 wt silicone oil.Luckily I've got some spare shocks for tha Maxx,after a little fiddling the shock ends fitted

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
    Hi.I blew the ends off the shocks when I used 70 wt silicone oil.Luckily I've got some spare shocks for tha Maxx,after a little fiddling the shock ends fitted
    I figure since I have the shock springs as tight as they can possibly go, the springs will take a lot of the impact rather than the oil. But yes, some people have blown shock caps with 70wt oil. Aluminum caps or just upgraded shocks should fix that issue. You really got caps from a maxx truck to fit? I thought they were way smaller than the summit shocks. I think I will look into that VDP myself. Wierd thing is, I called traxxas customer support about a month ago and asked them about the VDP, and the guy had no idea what it was or what I was talking about.

RC Qualifier
    Look at the E-Revo Setup and basically do the exact same thing.
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

RC Competitor
    i was looking at my shock oil the other day and i recently put in my shocks 1000cst oil(i think that compares with a 80wt oil ?)

this was a bit better over stock but i think the stock oil must be at least 700cst because the difference was'nt big with the new oil.

yesterday i put in 2000cst(yep, normally used as diff oil) and that gave alot more dampening when dropping the car from 2 feet.

i only test drove it on pavement and some steps and it did quit wel, it gave me more traction to get up the step(s), i now only need to jump it to see if it really blows shock caps...