Thread: Pede body roll

RC Competitor

Pede body roll

Does anyone know of some modifications or something that can be done to help with the side to side body roll? I put both 1/8 slicks and the Ofna 1/8 foams on my Pede 4x4 at all four corners, and it just seems that when i ease into the throttle, it wants to just roll side to side. It's hard to keep it full throttle and straight. The foams definitely works alot better than the Talons on the street. I also lowered my Pede as low as i could by moving the shocks to the inner holes up top, and i removed the spacers. The fastest that i've gotten so far is 51 mph with the 3s 17t gear. I know it has more in it, but have control problems.

RC Qualifier
    I strongly believe it has a lot to do with the thickness of the diff fluid in the rear. Try some 100k and LMK. Im too lazy to take mine apart again and go buy the stuff. I put 50k and noticed a LITTLE difference. Its just putting all of that power to one wheel in the rear and naturally it wants to go the direction of the highest power wheel. Us guys that drive front wheel drive cars call this torque steer. However you want to call it is up to you lol

RC Qualifier
    Also id like to add. I think this is a huge contribution to snapping axles.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow7g View Post
    I strongly believe it has a lot to do with the thickness of the diff fluid in the rear. Try some 100k and LMK. Im too lazy to take mine apart again and go buy the stuff. I put 50k and noticed a LITTLE difference. Its just putting all of that power to one wheel in the rear and naturally it wants to go the direction of the highest power wheel. Us guys that drive front wheel drive cars call this torque steer. However you want to call it is up to you lol
    I should be able to update this weekend. My Esc will be delivered tomorrow (I hope) I have an approx 75k in the rear and stock up front. I'll drop 50k in the front if need be right away. Either way I'll let us know!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    Also id like to add. I think this is a huge contribution to snapping axles.
    Second that!.. When you skid in a turn and one drive wheel lifts off the ground it'll spin like crazy.. and if you're on the throttle when it comes down to grip then POP!..completely driver error IMO.. learn to let go~

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    Second that!.. When you skid in a turn and one drive wheel lifts off the ground it'll spin like crazy.. and if you're on the throttle when it comes down to grip then POP!..completely driver error IMO.. learn to let go~
    Not only that. When you punch it, the power isnt evenly distributed in a straight line. My left side takes more wear than my right. Which the truck happens to have more power to the left wheel than the right. Its a theory but it makes sense to me.

RC Racer
    So thicker diff fluid evens out the power distribution to the left and right wheels? (making it closer to a locker I'm guessing)
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickTraxxas3 View Post
    So thicker diff fluid evens out the power distribution to the left and right wheels? (making it closer to a locker I'm guessing)
    That's The Fact Jack!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    I should be able to update this weekend. My Esc will be delivered tomorrow (I hope) I have an approx 75k in the rear and stock up front. I'll drop 50k in the front if need be right away. Either way I'll let us know!
    Alright, let us know because i'm open to any ideas right now. I need a parking lot about 40 feet wide in order to keep the throttle opened up.

RC Qualifier
    It might be because of the high cog. Just a guess
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

RC Qualifier
    What's High Cog?...
    Seriously though..Not followin' ya.. pls explain.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-08-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Content

RC Qualifier
    I thought that since it's a monster truck and it's so high off the ground it would roll pretty easily.
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedester' View Post
    I thought that since it's a monster truck and it's so high off the ground it would roll pretty easily.
    I didn't get the earlier "cog" part.. but the original poster really meant "diff'n out"

RC Qualifier
    Yea body roll and "diffin out" are two different things. Im more than sure that "diffin out" is what this guy is talking about.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Its a simple fix. Install slash 4x4 anti-roll bars. User the thickest bars front and rear.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    Yea body roll and "diffin out" are two different things. Im more than sure that "diffin out" is what this guy is talking about.
    Being that i'm new to the r/c world, maybe i explained it wrong. But when i hit the throttle full on the pede 4x4 with the 3s, it's very difficult to keep it straight. It's more of a side to side motion, and yes i am familar with the roll bars as i do have one on my 8 second Mustang. I'll go to the local hobby shop and pick some up. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 93lx View Post
    It's more of a side to side motion, and yes i am familar with the roll bars as i do have one on my 8 second Mustang. I'll go to the local hobby shop and pick some up. Thanks!
    They're really Stabilizer bars. And will not help keep the car straight under acceleration. Your original "Body Roll" post was really about "diffin out" or uneven tire torque. Put 50k fluid or thicker in your rear Diff.. I started @ 70k and I'm guessing I'll end up putting 50k up front. It really works awesome!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Some people say lowering the body can help with actual body roll... I find it hard to believe it really works. But if you think about... Lessening actual body roll will help with the diffing out problem as well because it will "help" stop the weight from rolling onto the outside wheel, therefore unloading weight from the inside wheel and causing the diff to unload on that side.
    I have no doubt the diff fluid is the biggest concern and will make a huge difference. But lessening body roll could help with that also. Though i doubt lowering the body body will really do much. It's just a thought.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    could also lower the truck more, by adding some spacers/fuel tube inside the shocks.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Competitor
    Cog= center of gravity. This is just a thought, would the center diff from the slash platinum make a difference? Also what about thicker shock oil?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    in my slash 4x4 mt, the center diff does help with stability and controlling oversteer when leaving turns and under hard power hole shots. It also takes some stress off the rear driveline, and transfers it to the ft driveline. BUT, it is nowhere near as fun bashing this way. No wheelies and the truck gets stuck with only 1 wheel spinning at times. I have not experimented with heavier oil in the center diff, but imagine that would help, but with the big tires and all the torque I am running, I would much rather use the slipper.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSlash View Post
    Also what about thicker shock oil?
    The first thing I have done b4 even test driving my pede's is put big bore caps on the stock shocks (with a little teflon tape) and use 40wt shock oil. While bashing in the winter I've used the 3 hole pistons to compensate for the cold and help the shocks recover quicker. IMO BB caps and thicker fluid makes the stock shocks ALMOST as good as the BB's for a fraction of the cost! Don't forget to put a couple mm's of fuel tubing on the shock shaft as well.

RC Racer
    Hey whenever you have time I would like to see a pic of this withthe fuel tubing and spacers! Thanks a lot