RC poster

Exclamation Servo gears .....

ok i got my summit at christmas i ran it once the left servo just died would **** the truck every time i hooked the batteries to it . called traxxas they told me to take it out . did so got the replacement 2 runs latter shattered gears in the oposite servo . tore it down replaced the gears now the right one has broken gears . any ideals as to why i am breaking so many gears the truck has like 6 runs on it ..

Quote Originally Posted by Usmcreaper View Post
    ok i got my summit at christmas i ran it once the left servo just died would **** the truck every time i hooked the batteries to it . called traxxas they told me to take it out . did so got the replacement 2 runs latter shattered gears in the oposite servo . tore it down replaced the gears now the right one has broken gears . any ideals as to why i am breaking so many gears the truck has like 6 runs on it ..
    Crawling and well.....just big sticky tires are too much for plastic geared servo's,In my opinion.I upgraded a few times then just went to one powerful servo and I'm happier now.search on here i saw a thread about metal gears from a different servo fitting in as replacement gears that should help some.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    not to intorupt but what dose this mean ****

RC Competitor
    A lot might be explained if you said what kind of running you're doing.
    If you're just driving it around not abusing it then you shouldn't be having any problems, but it you are doing what the average person does and are screaming it around and jumping it off the roof of your house or something wild it could explain why you are having a problem.
    Servos most often strip gears and go out when any car/truck is jumped and lands with the wheels turned one way or another. This is something that happens a lot to new guys, they don't know you shouldn't do it. You should be trying to let go of the steering wheel when going over any jumps and stuff, because when the truck lands with the front wheels crooked the force of impact makes the wheels want to turn in another direction. Which strips the gears in the servo.

The other thing is that dual servo vehicles can be a little weird, as unless the servos are centered perfectly and the linkage between them is adjusted perfectly they have a tendancy to want to battle against each other. You can tell this by listening when you turn the truck on, if either of the servos is giving off a slight buzzing sound it means it's fighting against the other servo. That is why most people just go to a larger single-servo set-up.

The stock 125 oz. servos that come in it are pretty stout, but considering they are having to turn those large tires it comes with you might want to consider upgrading the servo to a better one with metal gears considering how you're probably running your truck. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by reod12 View Post
    not to intorupt but what dose this mean ****
    foul language will get you a warning or warning points There are rules that are enforced to make it a site that is kid friendly as well as adults
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    TL;DR- the stock servos blow.

Your solution is simply to upgrade to metal geared digital servos with more torque- this thread has everything you need pretty much:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Now&p=4666998

and for a replacment metal servo horn ( if needed ):

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...65#post4667865

All servo options mentioned will be fine pretty much- more torque and speed the better.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    thanks for the info as for the ***** it isnt foul launguage i said it was k!lling the truck so for some reason that word isnt allowed

thanks for the info as for the ***** it isnt foul launguage i said it was k!lling the truck so for some reason that word isnt allowed
    I wasn't flaming you, just letting you know you would be surprised what words are not allowed or even hinted at.Sometime just using a word in the "wrong"context can get you in trouble
    Last edited by jamann; 01-06-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    np lol i just wanted to be sure that on my first post on here peps didnt think i was cussing and acting like a idiot lol
    Semper Fi
    Go Fast Go Hard Or Go Home

RC poster
    ok ive looked at the links you guys have posted for me to get a metal steering servo my question is most of the servos ive seen have 3 wires and mine has 2 is there a special thing u have to do to make it work with the summit system or do i just chop the wires off the broke one i have and wire them that way lol thanks agian
    Semper Fi
    Go Fast Go Hard Or Go Home

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    All servos have 3 wires, you must be looking at the wiring for the lights. Servos have red/black/white or red/brown/yellow wires with a small black plug on the end which is located inside the receiver box- refer to the manual and gallery for some pictures. No need to cut or splice any wires. When you get a new servo, just remove the old servos, install the new one on either the left or right side, install the servo horn, connect the linkage & adjust the steering trim as needed. You will need to center the servos shaft before installing the horn by plugging it into the receiver and making sure the steering trim is at center/ neutral & then power the truck up- the servo will center itself and then you can install the horn.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    The stock servo on my summit died on my first run too :-(