Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 67

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    2,325

    brushed version,

    it is happening for the people who can't afford brushless!!!

    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAVJM**&P=7
    rustler vxl 2.4

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    6,731

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    2,325
    looked(on the 1st page) couldn't find anything,
    rustler vxl 2.4

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    My advice: save up your money... I thought the same thing a year ago when I got the brushed merv, figured it was a hundred buck cheaper can't be that much different, wrong! I sold it right away. Brushless is so much more powerfull and versitile and faster. Just my advise though.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Thank you so much for posting that!
    with my Tower coupon, I can have one shipped to me for only $195!
    being this has the 550 motor, it will be awesome, and possibly just as fast as the brushless version
    Looks like I'll be ordering two more things now.. this truck and the brushed rally!!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    Thank you so much for posting that!
    with my Tower coupon, I can have one shipped to me for only $195!
    being this has the 550 motor, it will be awesome, and possibly just as fast as the brushless version
    Looks like I'll be ordering two more things now.. this truck and the brushed rally!!
    I have to disagree, the brushed can never be as fast as the brushless. Main reason: all you can run on the brushed is a single nimh pack, on the brushless you can run 2 nimh packs, and 3s lipo. When I got the brushed merv I figured it would be as fast as the brushless on 1 nimh pack, wrong!... it was much slower than my buddys vxl. There is nothing wrong with the brushed version if that's what your interested in, but it is no where near as fast as the vxl, that's why its a 100 bucks cheaper...

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    I have to disagree, the brushed can never be as fast as the brushless. Main reason: all you can run on the brushed is a single nimh pack, on the brushless you can run 2 nimh packs, and 3s lipo. When I got the brushed merv I figured it would be as fast as the brushless on 1 nimh pack, wrong!... it was much slower than my buddys vxl. There is nothing wrong with the brushed version if that's what your interested in, but it is no where near as fast as the vxl, that's why its a 100 bucks cheaper...
    not sure if your reading everything?
    this does not come with a 380 can it has a 550 can
    and on twin Nimh packs or even twin 2s packs it should be just as fast as the vxl on 2s
    and it is very possible to run this setup on 3s
    the esc will take the 3s pack and so will the motor
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    and what about putting in a nice 55t-65t motor, this could make a nice little crawler?
    and runtimes of an hour or so
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    and what about putting in a nice 55t-65t motor, this could make a nice little crawler?
    and runtimes of an hour or so
    Ok where are you getting your info? I see nothing on the trxxas website or the tower website about details. Also to me putting a bigger brushed motor on the 1/16 summit maks sense because the brushed merv was slow, I could only imagine that same setup on the summit... no thanks... Now wen you say twin nimh pack your talking in parallel right? Because you cant run series. And if its brushed why would it come with an esc that has lipo low voltage cutoff? I dont see it man, your paying $100 less for a reason.

    If your goal is crawling then its perfect, otherwise save up for the vxl...
    Last edited by penz; 01-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    Ok where are you getting your info? I see nothing on the trxxas website or the tower website about details. Also to me putting a bigger brushed motor on the 1/16 summit maks sense because the brushed merv was slow, I could only imagine that same setup on the summit... no thanks... Now wen you say twin nimh pack your talking in parallel right? Because you cant run series. And if its brushed why would it come with an esc that has lipo low voltage cutoff? I dont see it man, your paying $100 less for a reason.

    If your goal is crawling then its perfect, otherwise save up for the vxl...
    your questions really make no sense
    yes you can run two packs in parallel and 3s if you want to
    why wouldn't it come with a LVC because its brushed!
    look around and see a lot of companies who have brushed powered cars and trucks now make them with LVC
    because running lipos on brushed motors makes sense

    save up for the VXL?
    why would I need to when I have $1,500 in my BRevo?
    in other words, I don't need to save, I have all the cash I ever will need

    and if my goal is to crawl, I would buy a pro crawler.. not this
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-05-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    your questions really make no sense
    yes you can run two packs in parallel and 3s if you want to
    why wouldn't it come with a LVC because its brushed!
    look around and see a lot of companies who have brushed powered cars and trucks now make them with LVC
    because running lipos on brushed motors makes sense

    save up for the VXL?
    why would I need to when I have $1,500 in my BRevo?
    in other words, I don't need to save, I have all the cash I ever will need

    and if my goal is to crawl, I would buy a pro crawler.. not this
    When I purchased the brushed merv it did not have a lipo capable esc. Like I said I still have not seen any details on the brushed version... If its your thing more power to you, but to me brushless is the way to go, and I strongly believe the brushed version will not be as fast as the brushless. Just my opinion though.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    When I purchased the brushed merv it did not have a lipo capable esc. Like I said I still have not seen any details on the brushed version... If its your thing more power to you, but to me brushless is the way to go, and I strongly believe the brushed version will not be as fast as the brushless. Just my opinion though.
    any and all brushed speed controls we run with can and will run LIPO packs
    and that's not an opinion but a fact....
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    Ok where are you getting your info? I see nothing on the trxxas website or the tower website about details. Also to me putting a bigger brushed motor on the 1/16 summit maks sense because the brushed merv was slow, I could only imagine that same setup on the summit... no thanks... Now wen you say twin nimh pack your talking in parallel right? Because you cant run series. And if its brushed why would it come with an esc that has lipo low voltage cutoff? I dont see it man, your paying $100 less for a reason.

    If your goal is crawling then its perfect, otherwise save up for the vxl...
    you don't make sence bro if you get the brushed its ready for a BB 36 mamba and will handle 6s!!! or you could run the vxl 3s!! i'd go with it just to have the bb mount and ready for real speeds! but having it brushed it will crawl better to!

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by P'noRcer View Post
    you don't make sence bro if you get the brushed its ready for a BB 36 mamba and will handle 6s!!! or you could run the vxl 3s!! i'd go with it just to have the bb mount and ready for real speeds! but having it brushed it will crawl better to!
    You said I don't make sense then proved my point... if your intention is crawling the brushed is the way to go... too much cogging with the traxxas brushless system. I'm not understanding you your talking about running 6s and 3s, but after putting different electronics on the rig so your point is pointless... I'm talking about running this truck stock the way it is... if your gonna spend more money on different electronics why not just buy the vxl and be done?...

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    And I was not talking about putting a bigger aftermarket brushed motor on there, I was talking about how traxxas decided to put a bigger brushed motor stock as compared to the merv... just to clarify...

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    Traxxas New Brushed esc with lipo cutoff

    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Traxxas New Brushed esc with lipo cutoff

    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd
    great find bro!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bluffton, IN
    Posts
    172
    I called Traxxas tonight to inquire about the brushed Summit. Shockingly enough, the guy I talked to couldn't tell me what ESC was in the brushed Summit. He did confirm it will be an AM 27mhz radio, not 2.4GHz, but as for the ESC, he didn't know.

    Correctly me if I'm wrong, but if it ships with the XL-2.5...you will not have LVC from the factory. Unless it is updated with a new ESC... I suppose it could come with the XL-5...but isn't that quite a bit bigger than the 2.5?
    Last edited by evanhuntrc; 01-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhuntrc View Post
    I called Traxxas tonight to inquire about the brushed Summit. Shockingly enough, the guy I talked to couldn't tell me what ESC was in the brushed Summit. He did confirm it will be an AM 27mhz radio, not 2.4GHz, but as for the ESC, he didn't know.

    Correctly me if I'm wrong, but if it ships with the XL-2.5...you will not have LVC from the factory. Unless it is updated with a new ESC... I suppose it could come with the XL-5...but isn't that quite a bit bigger than the 2.5?
    Tower has specs, it is being shipped with the xl2.5...

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhuntrc View Post
    I called Traxxas tonight to inquire about the brushed Summit. Shockingly enough, the guy I talked to couldn't tell me what ESC was in the brushed Summit. He did confirm it will be an AM 27mhz radio, not 2.4GHz, but as for the ESC, he didn't know.

    Correctly me if I'm wrong, but if it ships with the XL-2.5...you will not have LVC from the factory. Unless it is updated with a new ESC... I suppose it could come with the XL-5...but isn't that quite a bit bigger than the 2.5?
    Tower does not show what esc it comes with as of right now, and Tower does not always post the right specs anyways
    either way you can run lipo on the XL-2.5, but the XL-2.5 is for 380 cans..
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bluffton, IN
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    Tower does not show what esc it comes with as of right now, and Tower does not always post the right specs anyways
    either way you can run lipo on the XL-2.5, but the XL-2.5 is for 380 cans..

    Show me where a spec says that ESC has low voltage cutoff... Oh wait... It doesn't have LVC.

    You may have ran batteries without an LVC, and not had issues, but most of us aren't going to take that chance. I know I'm not. Too bad, this truck had potential. This will turn people off big time.
    Last edited by evanhuntrc; 01-06-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhuntrc View Post
    Show me where a spec says that ESC has low voltage cutoff... Oh wait... It doesn't have LVC.

    You may have ran batteries without an LVC, and not had issues, but most of us aren't going to take that chance. I know I'm not. Too bad, this truck had potential. This will turn people off big time.
    who said that esc had a lvc? not me
    this truck has BIG potential!
    some are just blind!

    and even the stuff I own that has an lvc I never run my packs to that... and again I've never jacked a pack
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  23. #23
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SJ Cali
    Posts
    115
    Lvc is there for a reason, I use it every time haha. And I run $8 lipos from china and have never had a problem.

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    Lvc is there for a reason, I use it every time haha. And I run $8 lipos from china and have never had a problem.
    this truck is awesome!
    if someone needs a lvc, buy one for 15bucks!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bluffton, IN
    Posts
    172
    I have had issues running lipos without an LVC. Many others have, too. If you didn't need it, they wouldn't make it. Safety is key in my eyes. Sure, a Novak SmartStop is $15. My full size Summit has one installed so I can run lipos on it. However, smashing that SmartStop into that already cramped receiver box is going to be a major hassle. Without a bunch of additional modding, you won't have the LVC water"proofed", but takes away from the truck.

    Don't get me wrong Filmmaker... I love the idea of a brushed Mini Summit. Have the VXL for speedy bashing, and the brushed for a more "scale" type trail runner/climber. I just wish the ESC had LVC for safety, convenience, and out of the box ready to go...ness. LOL

    I feel it's just good to feed the right advice to beginners in this hobby, who frequent these forums quite a bit. In my eyes, running LVC is the correct procedure when using lipo batteries. You may feel differently, but many others do not. That's my two cents. I'm done on this.
    Last edited by evanhuntrc; 01-07-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhuntrc View Post
    I have had issues running lipos without an LVC. Many others have, too. If you didn't need it, they wouldn't make it. Safety is key in my eyes. Sure, a Novak SmartStop is $15. My full size Summit has one installed so I can run lipos on it. However, smashing that SmartStop into that already cramped receiver box is going to be a major hassle. Without a bunch of additional modding, you won't have the LVC water"proofed", but takes away from the truck.

    Don't get me wrong Filmmaker... I love the idea of a brushed Mini Summit. Have the VXL for speedy bashing, and the brushed for a more "scale" type trail runner/climber. I just wish the ESC had LVC for safety, convenience, and out of the box ready to go...ness. LOL

    I feel it's just good to feed the right advice to beginners in this hobby, who frequent these forums quite a bit. In my eyes, running LVC is the correct procedure when using lipo batteries. You may feel differently, but many others do not. That's my two cents. I'm done on this.
    I agree, but the fact is anyone can run lipo on a esc that does not have a lvc
    and that's what these comments are about
    if you run a esc without a lvc and you notice a drop in speed stop running it and charge the packs
    I did this on my mini slash before I converted it to brushless and never once hurt a pack
    but get this one.. on my UL-1 that does have a lvc, I hurt both packs (puff) because of the lvc is set to low on it... that was not cool
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    I agree, but the fact is anyone can run lipo on a esc that does not have a lvc
    and that's what these comments are about
    if you run a esc without a lvc and you notice a drop in speed stop running it and charge the packs
    I did this on my mini slash before I converted it to brushless and never once hurt a pack
    AHHHH - No. I would not try that on a regular basis. Once you really notice the drop in speed on a lipo battery - usually its already too late. You may be able to slow charge and save the battery but I would not try that too many times. Im not saying that it did not work for you, actually it worked for me once, but by accident. My lva (buzzer) did not sound off loud enough and my lipos were hot to the touch and lower than a rattlesnakes belly button. But I slow charged the lipos and managed to charge them back up into the safe level. But I killed 2 el cheapo ***** batteries before when I was too impatient to wait for my lva to arrive.

    The esc I linked to earlier (with the low voltage detection) is a XL5 - which will not be installed in the summit. (I was just hopeing)
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    AHHHH - No. I would not try that on a regular basis. Once you really notice the drop in speed on a lipo battery - usually its already too late. You may be able to slow charge and save the battery but I would not try that too many times. Im not saying that it did not work for you, actually it worked for me once, but by accident. My lva (buzzer) did not sound off loud enough and my lipos were hot to the touch and lower than a rattlesnakes belly button. But I slow charged the lipos and managed to charge them back up into the safe level. But I killed 2 el cheapo ***** batteries before when I was too impatient to wait for my lva to arrive.

    The esc I linked to earlier (with the low voltage detection) is a XL5 - which will not be installed in the summit. (I was just hopeing)
    this happend a few times with me and my batteries were just fine
    but with all my runs, I time them
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  30. #30
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,278
    Let's leave the negative comments out of things ok guys. People have different likes and dislikes and we should be happy that we have the options or choices that Traxxas offers us. If a brushed version is not for you that is fine but clearly some see it as a good choice so let them have that without raining on their parade.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  31. #31
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138
    its just a summit with the titon in it! plus its going to move just as fast without the cogging and its easier to upgrade to the Big Block! i'd buy it just for that fact! which i might just do!

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by P'noRcer View Post
    its just a summit with the titon in it! plus its going to move just as fast without the cogging and its easier to upgrade to the Big Block! i'd buy it just for that fact! which i might just do!
    I think the big reasons for me is, you can put a sweet 540 can that's faster than the stock 550 12t and have some great speeds and still have lots of torque, and a very easy motor swap you could put in a 45-55-65t crawler motor and do some crawling
    I really think Traxxas hit a big home run with the 550 motor stock!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  33. #33
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19
    For those of you who didn't notice:
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e.../7205summit116

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    800
    very curious to see one of these in action . I had a Merv VXL , very fast and fun . Also had a 1/16 Slash 380 brushed which was waaaaay to slow . It looks as if traxxas is replacing the titan 380 brushed with the 12T for this reason. over on the Rally forum I saw the 69 camaro with the 12T titan too . Can ony run in parallel i assume ? no series connector for the xl-2.5 ... for a little over 2 bills I think they hit the mark on this truck .
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    or is the mini summit really that mini?
    20mph just as fast as the 1/10 summit
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-11-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  36. #36
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,278
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    or is the mini summit really that mini?
    It is a little of both, the mini is big compared to other so called mini or micro cars/trucks. Compared to a 1/10th scale they are pretty small.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    214
    Just purchased one of these brushed versions.....impatiently awaiting it's arrival

    Are you guessing it will go 20 mph on stock nimh?

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    darn that motor looks freakin HUGE

    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    20mph - Traxxas websites states it
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  40. #40
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    214
    cool...can you copy paste that link......i must not be reading correct spot...thanks noir 522

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •