Thread: Blown out tire

RC Competitor

Blown out tire

Has anyone experienced blowing out a tire? Well i did on my Stampede 4x4 today. Trying to race someone with a Mayhem, i was rolling into the throttle with the 3s 6400mah and as soon as i hit full throttle, the tires looked like frisbies and the passenger side rear blew the foam out of it. Ontop of top, when it blew the tire, it went to flipping and busted a rear shock! Now i'm out a shock and tire. I will go tomorrow to a local hobby shop and look for the 1/8 OFNA foam tires for the street.

RC Qualifier
    Tires will do that especially on 3s. Next time tape the tires to control the ballooning. I have also had this happen
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

You tape them on the INSIDE with Gorilla Tape.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    What kind of tape? And if i tape them (factory Talons) i will probably loose more traction right?

RC Qualifier
    x3 but w/ my "sons" 2wd pede
    I'm just not liking 3s as much as I thought I would...They still crank quite nicely and can bash without as much crash on 2s.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Just curious, what 3s 6400 mAh battery fits? If it's Venom.... how'd you do it? Lol.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 93lx View Post
    What kind of tape? And if i tape them (factory Talons) i will probably loose more traction right?
    Funny! =)..He means to tape the foam inside the tire..couple times around. Gorrilla tape I hear is good. I used plain old duct tape cause that's what I had. Shouldn't lose traction.

Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    Funny! =)..He means to tape the foam inside the tire..couple times around. Gorrilla tape I hear is good. I used plain old duct tape cause that's what I had. Shouldn't lose traction.
    PODT will not stand up to the rigors of a BL system. In the future you definitely want to go with Gorilla Tape.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    PODT will not stand up to the rigors of a BL system. In the future you definitely want to go with Gorilla Tape.
    Yeah..they still balloon pretty badly..haven't lost one yet though!... next time, ya know?

RC Qualifier
    Just make sure you have the tape centered, or your tire will wobble, and possibly blow out a bearing.
    65 mph E-Revo on 6s
    70 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National View Post
    Just curious, what 3s 6400 mAh battery fits? If it's Venom.... how'd you do it? Lol.
    I just cut some of the factory foam from out the tray and use some strong velcro to hold the battery down. And yes its a Venom.

RC Competitor
    Will a street type tire be better as far as the balloning problem? I guess i'm asking if there's a less of a chance of blowing a street type tire compared to the Talons.

I just cut some of the factory foam from out the tray and use some strong velcro to hold the battery down. And yes its a Venom.
    Figured that, just ordered some AE straps. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Will a street type tire be better as far as the balloning problem? I guess i'm asking if there's a less of a chance of blowing a street type tire compared to the Talons.
    That, my friend, seems to be a trial and error question. I have some smaller tires (road venture) that hardly balloon at all! Those big spongy ones just love to reduce road friction!

RC Racer
    Quick ?, i always thought you taped the tire itself. Also, is it a given that the tire will explode if you run 3s?
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickTraxxas3 View Post
    Quick ?, i always thought you taped the tire itself. Also, is it a given that the tire will explode if you run 3s?
    nope..the sponge inside is a much more bennifical way of doing things..and nothing is a given..but eventually all things that can happen will happen! ;-}

Quote Originally Posted by TrickTraxxas3 View Post
    I'm running 3s with absolutely no problems with the tires. Maybe once I wear them down more I will notice extreme ballooning, but for now, I don't see the tires exploding.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National View Post
    I'm running 3s with absolutely no problems with the tires. Maybe once I wear them down more I will notice extreme ballooning, but for now, I don't see the tires exploding.
    I must have bad luck then. I have maybe 15 mins total time of this and 10 minutes of that was with the stock battery.

RC Racer
    Thanks GN I kinda was wondering whether or not to order a 3s!
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat