RC Qualifier

titan 775 starting to die?

my titan has been in my summit for over a year and I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has, but now the motor is starting to get louder and louder almost like a chopping sound, I checked the gear mesh but its fine, also the motor is getting hotter then it used to and some times it will stop working for a second, make a weird sound and then it will keep going, is my titan about to die? and what can I do to the motor to make it last longer? thanks
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Qualifier
    sounds funny with that chopping noise, sure sounds like something is in the motor .
    mine was making a sound after some aggressive bashing, then i flushed it really really good with water both directions. motor out of car and motor mount off . flush front to back , and drown it good. this is the best way to get any dirt or tiny rocks out of it. soak it no fear with a pressurized water hose .

then blow out perfectly dry with compressor. then blast with wd40 , then use motor cleaner , then the com drop oil. also oil the two bushing on the ends of the motor. I use scorpion brushless motor oil. because i have it for my heli's

com drop also use this if you see any sparks in the motor when you run it.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3508&search=Go

mine also made noise once when i changed the pinion. i had the lash perfect. but it was making a funny clicking noise. I stopped right away. and after looking real good, I noticed little marks on the edge off the spur gear. it was the grub screw of the pinion clipping the spur gear. just slightly off center. but lash was perfect LOL.

after that its either a new titan , dewalt up grade, or brushless time.

hope helps. good luck.

RC Qualifier
    I thought sparks in the motor was just normal, I will have to look into getting that comm drop if the motor will last... I think I will take the whole motor out and drown it with water to try and get the loud noise to stop, I might post a video up tomorrow of "th noise" because it's very hard to describe, thank's for your help Von
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Qualifier
    if you use com drop oil, make sure you clean the motor with motor cleaner spray , especially the commutator & brush area . its a alittle hard with the titan being closed up. but can be done. turn motor by hand clean, turn , clean. after it drys , put one drop of the oil on the commutator. turn , to spread the oil , it will lube the brush area . what i do is either put car on ground , un powered , and push it alittle so the motor turns . or you can remove the gear cover, and turn the spur gear, again un powered.

Sparks, Yes you can have some, but not allot, this is warning sign that the brushes are not getting good contact, so the electrons have to jump to get to were they want to go. why because either something is blocking there way or they have to jump threw the air to get there , so you see them in the air as a arc flash. whats all that? the thing is dirty , and not smooth . what other problem will it do besides arcing , you are loosing power , because some of those electrons cant get threw. less electrons going were they are suppose too , less power . but the ones that cant make it, do something else. since they cant go were they want to, they try to burn there why threw, causing heat and slowly destroying the surfaces . it just gets worst , until you help them out and clean and lube. it would be nice if we could get the motor apart, then you can cut the commutator. so next best thing clean oil and take care. all this is another reason Break in helps. this allows the brushes to mate to the commutator , creating a very smooth and full contact surface. allowing all those little electrons a nice un restricted path, to flow threw.

hope that simplifies it.

make sure you clean the commutator before oiling it. and don't use allot, this can muck it up. one drop is all you need.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 01-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.