Thread: battery charger

RC poster

battery charger

If I overlooked a dedicated electronics sub-forum, please forgive me. Purchased a Summit for my 6 yr old son to introduce him into RC. I sold all my rock crawler stuff a couple of years ago so I need to purchase new stuff.

Will be running two nimh packs in parallel for longer run times. We need some suggestions for a new charger considering a modest budget. Second thought, should we look at a dual charger to reduce the overall charging time of two batts, or buy two separate chargers for close to the same price? The charger doesn't need to be fancy, just dependable and with peak detection.

Thanks for the help.

how much are you looking to spend on a charger?

tower hobbies has their tower peak charger for $18.99 is chargers the stock 1/16 batteries in about 1hr 20mins, they also sell the duratrax 100 for a little more same features and warranty
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: merge
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    $100-ish. Is this budget possible to charge two nimh batteries at once?

for chargering 2 batteries at the same time look into the duratrax 240 it charges 2 batteries, its around 89.99 and you pay shipping of 9.99 no taxes depending on if your in indiana or nevada. its just under 100. by pennies to spare. look into it. by the way are you charging the stock batteries? tower has a department where they sell dented and used chargers its worth a shot to take a look you can save some big money on that charger, i think its like 55-60 for it and 9.99 shipping but there is no warranty ok so you take a chance with buying from the dented and used department, just to help you out.

Forgot to mention this doesnt have the traxxas connectors on the charge leads to charge the traxxas batteries with thier connector, you can buy a charge lead from duratrax i think on that same site with the traxxas connector on it to charge batteries. sorry about that just looked it up right now and seen that its like $8-9 for it. if you buy the used then you'll be under the 100 with all you need.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 01-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.

RC poster
    I will purchase a new 1200 pack to match the included pack with the Summit and also look at a couple of 1500's or 1600's to run those packs in parallel also.

i've done good with venom batteries that are 1600mah there is also duratrax that makes 1600mah has a little more than stock 1200 and a little more run time in my opinon. good luck and have fun playing with the new r/c

RC poster
    The Duratrax 240 looks nice with a good price. Just a thought, how much $ would it take to buy two decent chargers for the 2/3A nimh batts and also allow for future LiPo's? I may look into a short course truck for myself in the future and run LiPo's, so already owning a LiPo charger(s) would be a great benefit. Just wondering what chargers for nimh and LiPo are available at decent pricing?

RC Racer
    I got a imax b6 lipo balance charger on ebay for like 11 bux plus 20 for shipping from hong kong. I'm kinda new to lipos but this thing works great for me. I charge 2 and 3s lipos for my mini summit, plus all my nimh packs for my lst and it works perfect. You can get 2 of em for 60 bux...

RC Competitor
    I got a thunder ac6 for $47 with free shipping. Balance charges my lipos, has 5 amps max output, ac/dc power, temp probe, and will charge nimh though I only charge lipo.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The imax b6 is basically the same electronics as the thunder ac6, same menu and everything, only diff is the case and the imax has an external power supply. My buddy has the thunder ac6 and its a good charger as well.

RC Competitor
    Good to know, seems like a lot of chargers are the same, just rebranded. Have you charged nimh with the imax? I use the onyx 230 I bought for my gf's son to charge his nimh. I wanted something I could program for him so he could just hit start and have it work easily.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yeah I charge all my lst stuff with it, works great for nimh too.

another vote for the thunder ac6, it is what i use

RC poster
    Great options, exactly the info I was looking for, thx. Also looks like Thunder makes a 606 model for $20-ish less, but no A/C adapter. A/C adapter runs $8-9 though.

RC poster

thunder ac6 or duratrax 240 or superbrain 977?

Hi,

Been reading the thread - I'm planning on buying a brushed summit and running standard NiMh packs - then maybe eventually getting the full-sized summit. Doubt I'll ever go Lipo, but it would be nice if the charger I get can handle them. Main thing I want is a charger that can do two packs at the same time. Duratrax onyx 240 definitely can, but will the Thunder ac6 do this? Also looks like MRC Superbrain 977 has dual outputs - but twice the price of the Thunder. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 977, and on which charger would be the best? Budget not a huge issue. Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The thunder can't handle two pack at a time, you will need something more powerfull like Hyperion that's one of the best chargers you can get but it will cost a lot more.

RC Competitor
    you could always buy 2 traxxas ez peak chargers, the 1 or 2 amp one and use those. I believe you can get them for like 25 a piece or so shipping included.

that is if you are only looking to charge 1/16 scale batteries

RC poster
    Thunder AC 6 is a good budget charger. I've had one for over a year and it works great. AC/DC powered NiMh,NICd, Pb, Life,Lipos with balancer, storage modes. I bought a second one to do 2 batterys at a time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfiery View Post
    Thunder AC 6 is a good budget charger. I bought a second one to do 2 batterys at a time.
    That's what I did too, with two of those for $100 can charge two batts, a charger that can hold two at a time will cost double.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sfiery View Post
    Thunder AC 6 is a good budget charger. I've had one for over a year and it works great. AC/DC powered NiMh,NICd, Pb, Life,Lipos with balancer, storage modes. I bought a second one to do 2 batterys at a time.

Same here, bought 2 for the Thunder AC6 chargers and a pack of Traxxas connectors. I actually took the Tamaya lead and cut it off and soldered in the Traxxas end so I wouldn't have to buy 2 sets of leads. I never use the Tamaya connectors and if I do need to I can always use the alligator clips.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the info, this really helps. I think just getting two Traxxas EZ peak chargers will be the way to go. Nice and simple. Cheaper than a dual output like the Duratrax 240. The Thunder ac6 looks awesome, and getting two sure makes sense at that price, but probably too much charger for me, just don't need the features. Have to say the Hyperion chargers look pretty sick....http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/type/15

So how come no one seems to use the MRC Superbrain chargers? Swear I've never seen anyone talk about them on any forums.....

RC poster
    So I read somewhere on the forum that the EZ peak charger is not designed for the 1/16 batteries - some guy said he tried it and it fried the batteries. Not sure if this is true, but it made me reconsider....the Thunder AC6 is on sale at HobbyPartz for $43 - I think I'll go that route. So I won't be able to charge the batteries at the same time, but maybe not such a big deal. And the Thunder can discharge too, which saves me the trouble of building a discharger (just some car lights soldered together).

RC Competitor
    @amylly-
    Using the AC6 I charge 2 2s 1800's @1c without issue. If you're talking about packs for the full sized summit then yeah, 1 pack at a time. but since you mentioned 1/16th batteries i would guess you are talking about the 1/16th summit. If thats the case, you cant really get much bigger than a 2200 in the battery case and you could safely charge 2 of those at 1C on the AC6
    2011 Traxxas Summit 1/16 VXL - White

RC Enthusiast
    You can use the ez peak plus when it comes out. It's going to have a dual charging accessory (don't really know what that's going to look like) so i'm thinking about buying one for my dual batteries. It's 100 bucks plus whatever it will be for the accessory (at the most $20 i would say).

RC poster
    Where have you tried so far. For your modest budget you can buy a duel battery charger thus can help in reduce the charging time. I will suggest you to buy from http://wagawoo.com/ those are well know for all type of battery chargers like Medical. Marine, Industrials and many more.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    ummmm, this is a 2 year old thread.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.