RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Anyone notice tower lists a BRUSHED 1/16 summit... available soon.

I was just surfing around at tower and saw they they list a 1/16 brushed version of the summit. In terms of crawling Id think this truck, if it came with the titan 12t like the brushed rallys do, would be better than the VXL version.

Brushed Summit
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Yeah for crawling the brushed system is better/slower. But if crawling it your thing then you should just get a true crawler...

RC Champion
    yea it would prolly be more capable with the brushed motor for climbing and low speed handling.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    I have found that the training mode and a flipped tranny works quite well for crawling for what it is..... But I do think that the brushed wouldnt be a bad idea..
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the brushed version has about the same speeds as the brushless version on 2s
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    I wonder what ESC this will come with? It'd be nice if it was brushed, but lipo ready out of the box. I'd consider buying a second one just to setup more like a crawler.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    How do you figure that?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff hughes View Post
    How do you figure that?
    the motor is a 550 not the 380
    this motor has more torque and can be geared differently without overheating
    and I have mod 540 motors I can try out to see just how fast I can make it fly over jumps!!
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    This is not saying a lot. The vxl on 2s is not much faster than the vxl on nimh, so what your really saying is the brushed version will be as fast as the vxl on nimh? iI dont think so. The vxl can handle 3s, a brushed motor can not sustain this voltage. The brushed version is $100 cheaper therfore it is going to be slower period...

If your looking for a summit crawler the brushed version is perfect.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    This is not saying a lot. The vxl on 2s is not much faster than the vxl on nimh, so what your really saying is the brushed version will be as fast as the vxl on nimh? iI dont think so. The vxl can handle 3s, a brushed motor can not sustain this voltage. The brushed version is $100 cheaper therfore it is going to be slower period...

If your looking for a summit crawler the brushed version is perfect.
    are you reading what others post??
    I don't think you are
    I said "the brushed version has about the same speeds as the brushless version on 2s"
    and yes it is saying alot
    there are brushed motors that can handle 3s and this is one of them that can sustain the voltage!
    just because it's 100 bucks cheaper does not mean slower?????????
    and I'm not looking for a crawler, I'm looking for a sweet Mini Summit!
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    and if I'm looking for more speed on 2s, I could run one of my Mod motors
    40mph+ on 2s is doable
    First MiniSlash

RC Champion
    the xl5 with the 550 12-titan brushed motor (in the NON-VXL stampede, rustler, and bandit ) are/were being advertised by Traxxas of reaching speeds of 30-35mph . (see current stampede, rustler, bandit product pages).

From the xl5 stampede page:
    (30mph) "With 7-cell battery and included optional 23-tooth pinion gear. 25mph with 6-cell battery and stock installed pinion."

So a mini summit (lighter) with the same xl5 speed controller (with I am sure it will have - - not the puny xl2.5) and the same 550 12-titan motor should actually be faster than the heavier stampede with the similiar set-up.

So in conclusion yes the brushed mini summit will have similiar speed (with 8.6nimh) as the vxl summit on 2s (7.4volt)

BUT - OH SNAP!!!!! - is this a brushed esc with LOW VOLTAGE CUT OFF (for lipo usage) by Traxxas??????

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-06-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    the xl5 with the 550 12-titan brushed motor (in the NON-VXL stampede, rustler, and bandit ) are/were being advertised by Traxxas of reaching speeds of 30-35mph . (see current stampede, rustler, bandit product pages).

From the xl5 stampede page:
    (30mph) "With 7-cell battery and included optional 23-tooth pinion gear. 25mph with 6-cell battery and stock installed pinion."

So a mini summit (lighter) with the same xl5 speed controller (with I am sure it will have - - not the puny xl2.5) and the same 550 12-titan motor should actually be faster than the heavier stampede with the similiar set-up.

So in conclusion yes the brushed mini summit will have similiar speed (with 8.6nimh) as the vxl summit on 2s (7.4volt)

BUT - OH SNAP!!!!! - is this a brushed esc with LOW VOLTAGE CUT OFF (for lipo usage) by Traxxas??????

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd
    Great way to put things bro!
    I sometimes stumble over my thoughts.. lol
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    I found specs for the brushed version, and it does have the 550 motor, but has the xl2.5 esc, so it is not lipo compatable... Like I said earlier it made sense to me that they put a bigger brushed motor on it vs what was on the brushed merv because that was really slow and the bigger tires on the summit would really slow it down.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I found specs for the brushed version, and it does have the 550 motor, but has the xl2.5 esc, so it is not lipo compatable... Like I said earlier it made sense to me that they put a bigger brushed motor on it vs what was on the brushed merv because that was really slow and the bigger tires on the summit would really slow it down.
    any and all brushed speed controls we use can and will run lipo batteries
    and they have now put the 550 can in the rally to, and that has smaller tires than the merv
    bigger tires don't slow it down
    these 550 cans have great torque and its so easy to put in a mod 540 motor that will make it just plain nuts and faster on 2s than the vxl
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Well nothing wrong with a bigger motor. I understand you can run lipo on an esc that is not lipo ready but without the low voltage cutoff your gambling with your batterys if you dont stop running in time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well nothing wrong with a bigger motor. I understand you can run lipo on an esc that is not lipo ready but without the low voltage cutoff your gambling with your batterys if you dont stop running in time.
    yep the 550 can will keep things interesting, and as for the lvc, I never run any of my Trucks, Cars, Boats, Helis, or Planes to the lvc... ever
    and I've never lost a battery because of this
    First MiniSlash